[News] Energy bills to top £4200 at the start of next year

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I know about wind turbines, but why are the Tories decrying solar farms? Fields which could lay fallow are covered in solar panels which is all helping but both candidates are against them, pushing fracking instead. Obviously more profit for their backers in fracking.

no idea, nonsensical opposition. probably because it plays well in very local areas where people like to object to them. solar still needs gas backup so its not about fracking, can have both.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
no idea, nonsensical opposition. probably because it plays well in very local areas where people like to object to them. solar still needs gas backup so its not about fracking, can have both.

Anybody that supports fracking must be completely loony. Oil can back up gas and we are getting plenty of gas in the UK, but the problem was storage. Guess who closed down the storage facility? Yes, it was Ms Truss. Now they are trying to reopen it again.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
I am probably the forum thicko on this but I would much rather the predictions were given in price per KW on gas and electricity rather than a blanket cost of 3k,4k,5k,6k a year. we all use differing amounts of energy. I would find it reasonably easy to calculate costs based on what the kw price rises are expected to be this Friday and in the next cap rise working on what they were for me before these increases. Just giving a scare mongering blanket cost is not helpful...well to me anyway and does not help in any calculations at all for me :shrug:

Am I actually being thick?

I have an eye watering fixed rate and check daily to see if I should pay the £100 exit fee to move to something cheaper, it would be helpful if I had a clue what the upcoming prices are likely to be

I'm joining you as a THICKO too. I really don't give a shit what someone in a four bedroomed detached house whose kids have no f*****g idea how to close a front door in the winter, want 30 minute hot showers, or turn a light off, is potentially going to have to pay.

I want to know what the predicted KW cost will be next Friday and the next two price hikes, so I can compare.

Is it possible to find these forecast costs ...?

May I add all the parents who let their kids have separate TVs in their bedrooms, playstations etc etc etc. The average teenager wont have a clue about cost...or why it is so high....or that a major cause is kids and people having their legs blown off in Ukraine by the Russians and the prospect of being cold and homeless this winter.

Pisses me right off...!

Last edited:

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
I am probably the forum thicko on this but I would much rather the predictions were given in price per KW on gas and electricity rather than a blanket cost of 3k,4k,5k,6k a year. we all use differing amounts of energy. I would find it reasonably easy to calculate costs based on what the kw price rises are expected to be this Friday and in the next cap rise working on what they were for me before these increases. Just giving a scare mongering blanket cost is not helpful...well to me anyway and does not help in any calculations at all for me :shrug:

Am I actually being thick?

I have an eye watering fixed rate and check daily to see if I should pay the £100 exit fee to move to something cheaper, it would be helpful if I had a clue what the upcoming prices are likely to be

Price cap is currently:

Gas
£0.07 per kWh
Daily standing charge: £0.27

Electricity
£0.28 per kWh
Daily standing charge: £0.45

Predicted to go up ~80% from October, find out for sure on Friday...

pb21

Apr 23, 2010

Yeah, locals don't like it, land owners do though...

Also, battery storage can be used, surpless generation stored, exported as and when. Technology still new, but only going to improve.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
So how is this so called off peak tariffs meant to work, because our supplier is the same unit price 24/7-365 ? I don't see any change in the pricing.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Price cap is currently:

Gas
£0.07 per kWh

Electricity
£0.28 per kWh

Thanks, seems I am going to be marginally better off sticking with my eye watering fixed rate then :eek:

I was paying £0.025 per kWh for Gas on my last fixed rate that finished in June :down:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Anybody that supports fracking must be completely loony. Oil can back up gas and we are getting plenty of gas in the UK, but the problem was storage. Guess who closed down the storage facility? Yes, it was Ms Truss. Now they are trying to reopen it again.

its practical and would ensure energy security for most of Europe. rather than extra expense of extracting, moving and storing gas you can just extract and use on demand. whats looney is depending on one source, Russia, which then threatens to cut it. sure you'd want to come off gas eventually, until then if you're going to use it, use your own. we dont require a lot of storage, unlike some other places, because we do have an open tap for now. in mean time invest in storage capability for other means, we've ignored that bit in the rush for renewables.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham

By "they", do you mean Centrica and the "Rough" storage facility? If so, there is an article in Private Eye about it basically saying that Centrica said that it was damaged beyond repair in the hope that the government would give them lots of money to fix it. The government refused. If they can reopen it quickly, clearly this was a bit of a fib and ministers should take this into account if they come calling for taxpayers money again.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
By "they", do you mean Centrica and the "Rough" storage facility? If so, there is an article in Private Eye about it basically saying that Centrica said that it was damaged beyond repair in the hope that the government would give them lots of money to fix it. The government refused. If they can reopen it quickly, clearly this was a bit of a fib and ministers should take this into account if they come calling for taxpayers money again.

Look who was involved in the closure in 2017.

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/new...-sea-gas-storage-before-energy-crisis-3810007

The Rough natural gas storage facility off the coast of East Yorkshire is set to reopen within weeks, amid concerns over the country’s gas reserves in future winters, the Yorkshire Post understands.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
its practical and would ensure energy security for most of Europe. rather than extra expense of extracting, moving and storing gas you can just extract and use on demand. whats looney is depending on one source, Russia, which then threatens to cut it. sure you'd want to come off gas eventually, until then if you're going to use it, use your own. we dont require a lot of storage, unlike some other places, because we do have an open tap for now. in mean time invest in storage capability for other means, we've ignored that bit in the rush for renewables.

Who is relying on one source? Only two months ago regulators in the United Kingdom have given final approval to develop a new North Sea gas field as supplies dwindle from Russia.

https://www.reuters.com/business/en...roves-shell-north-sea-gas-project-2022-06-01/

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Price cap is currently:

Gas
£0.07 per kWh

Electricity
£0.28 per kWh

That is very helpful....and thankyou.

Is it likely the Standing charges will also go up by ?.. 80 per cent too....?

pb21

Apr 23, 2010

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
That is very helpful....and thankyou.

Is it likely the Standing charges will also go up by ?.. 80 per cent too....?

Probably best to check what the cap is for your specific area / supplier. IIRC it can vary slightly depending on where you live - specifically the standing charge element can be different (from memory).

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Probably best to check what the cap is for your specific area / supplier. IIRC it can vary slightly depending on where you live - specifically the standing charge element can be different (from memory).

Presumably not just the standing charge. We are paying 28.17 p/KWH for electricity ie above the 28p quoted earlier. Paying 45.31 p daily standing charge for elec which is also higher.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Presumably not just the standing charge. We are paying 28.17 p/KWH for electricity ie above the 28p quoted earlier. Paying 45.31 p daily standing charge for elec which is also higher.

Think there may be some unfortunate rounding errors in the original caps posted as well. Mine are also different:

Gas Standing - £0.2722 per day (original post has rounding error by rounding down to nearest whole penny)
Gas per kWh - £0.0732 (original post has rounding error by rounding down to nearest whole penny)

My Elec isn't like-for-like as I'm not on the standard capped tariff due to being on Octopus' Octopus Go tariff, but FWIW:

Elec Standing - £0.4139 per day (less than the cap)
Elec per kWh - standard £0.3566 (more than the cap, but it's fixed until end of April 2023), 4 hour over night = £0.0750

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

MovieBeards-Ghostbusters-Peck.jpg

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003

When Ghostbusters was TV recently they edited out the dickless/ it's true this man has no dick joke.

My totally unreasonable irritation to this gave me a rare insight into what Lawrence Fox must go through on an almost constant basis.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
When Ghostbusters was TV recently they edited out the dickless/ it's true this man has no dick joke.

My totally unreasonable irritation to this gave me a rare insight into what Lawrence Fox must go through on an almost constant basis.

They also edit out Ray's ghostly blowjob. There's always a more kiddy-friendly version for TV :rolleyes:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports