Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Empty park and ride buses after game

Trolly Dolly

Aug 22, 2011
I am finding so far this season that the Race Course park and ride option is the best for me. On Saturday I could not believe that the bus I was on pulled away with at least 20 spare seats upstairs and loads people left behind in queue . The bus in front was full but an earlier one also had lots spare seats. There seems to be a problem here with stewarding. I am going to post in ask the club to see what's going on here:annoyed:

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
I think there are a few prob's with loading. The goon at the head of the Mithras queue is actually the opposite. When he thinks it's nearly full he'll go on the bus, walk upstairs and count any empty seats then come down and either load a couple more on or tell standing people downstairs they have to go upstairs or he won't let the bus go. It's comical but adds considerable time to the queuing.

Why he can't stand at the back end of the bus queue and count out 60 or whatever it is people and send them up to the bus and then another 60 and send them to a second bus I really don't know. Bloody certain I could cut that queue time in half without needing to use too much nouse

I gave up on P&R this season for that reason but would happily use again if fixed

Oh and I wrote to the Transport Manager last year with a couple of ideas and also suggested he might like to meet with a small cross section of fans (different methods of getting to and from Amex) every couple of months for say an hour just to get their feedback on their experiences, and any ideas for improvement (which may or may not be sensible/practical). He thought it was a great idea (right) but not heard anything since!!

Last edited:

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
I am finding so far this season that the Race Course park and ride option is the best for me. On Saturday I could not believe that the bus I was on pulled away with at least 20 spare seats upstairs and loads people left behind in queue . The bus in front was full but an earlier one also had lots spare seats. There seems to be a problem here with stewarding. I am going to post in ask the club to see what's going on here:annoyed:

That was noticed by us in the queue! There was then a "discussion" with a steward about it but he said it was not his job to load the bus it was up to the driver! Then as on Tuesday a bus broke down and further delays ensued as drivers and stewards worked out an action plan. "On the buses", if you recall that programme, comes to mind.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
It's been a recurring issue with the racecourse one. Buses quite often leave with empty seats and it's darned annoying :rant:

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
I used the Mill Road park and ride on Saturday and it work very well, seemed to be the one that was moving the quickest

It's so much easier to load those buses and I think they hold the same, maybe a few more. Downside is that you need to get to Mill Road pretty early or risk being turned away I think?? Will be a bigger problem when we play sides bring a large following as that will be the P&R they will all go for

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
That was noticed by us in the queue! There was then a "discussion" with a steward about it but he said it was not his job to load the bus it was up to the driver! Then as on Tuesday a bus broke down and further delays ensued as drivers and stewards worked out an action plan. "On the buses", if you recall that programme, comes to mind.

It was more of a Pantomime than that! :O

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011
I think there are a few prob's with loading. The goon at the head of the Mithras queue is actually the opposite. When he thinks it's nearly full he'll go on the bus, walk upstairs and count any empty seats then come down and either load a couple more on or tell standing people downstairs they have to go upstairs or he won't let the bus go. It's comical but adds considerable time to the queuing.

Why he can't stand at the back end of the bus queue and count out 60 or whatever it is people and send them up to the bus and then another 60 and send them to a second bus I really don't know. Bloody certain I could cut that queue time in half without needing to use too much nouse

I gave up on P&R this season for that reason but would happily use again if fixed

Oh and I wrote to the Transport Manager last year with a couple of ideas and also suggested he might like to meet with a small cross section of fans (different methods of getting to and from Amex) every couple of months for say an hour just to get their feedback on their experiences, and any ideas for improvement (which may or may not be sensible/practical). He thought it was a great idea (right) but not heard anything since!!

But are you prepared to do his job for the wages that he is being paid

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford

But are you prepared to do his job for the wages that he is being paid

Not sure what point you are trying to make. So he's not paid a lot. Not sure that means he can't be guided to do the job better or be allowed to do it badly because he's not paid much

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
We used Mill Road on Saturday, got there at 1.30 bang on, having intended to get there earlier, and were one of the last cars to get in as far as I can see. There was not much room left. if it gets full, is there an overflow? or what do they do? Send you to one of the other P & R's?

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
We used Mill Road on Saturday, got there at 1.30 bang on, having intended to get there earlier, and were one of the last cars to get in as far as I can see. There was not much room left. if it gets full, is there an overflow? or what do they do? Send you to one of the other P & R's?

Mithras or Racecourse

throbinson

Feb 18, 2009
Shropshire
It's so much easier to load those buses and I think they hold the same, maybe a few more. Downside is that you need to get to Mill Road pretty early or risk being turned away I think?? Will be a bigger problem when we play sides bring a large following as that will be the P&R they will all go for

As i come from sunny Shrewsbury always get down early when i make the trip, but yes it doesn't seem to big and might fill up quickly

Jul 7, 2003
Counting people onto a bus shouldn't be rocket science. Each bus has a sign at the front which says how many people it can seat and how many standing places there are. Give the bloke who supervises the loading one of those little click counter things to count the people onto the bus and, when it gets to the same number as the total on the sign, stop the boarding, send the bus and start again.

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
Counting people onto a bus shouldn't be rocket science. Each bus has a sign at the front which says how many people it can seat and how many standing places there are. Give the bloke who supervises the loading one of those little click counter things to count the people onto the bus and, when it gets to the same number as the total on the sign, stop the boarding, send the bus and start again.

That's far too sensible. Many of us on here have been advocating that since we moved to the Amex. Never had this problem when loading buses at Withdean. However, the transport manager obviously thinks the current methods are ok or he would have changed the system by now. In any case as I pointed out earlier if a steward believes it's the drivers job to load the bus then it's all very confusing.

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton

the problem is the stewards cant be arsed to do the job they are paid for. its not hard to look in the bus and see empty seats - i mean you could even look upstairs if it was a double decker.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here