Employment lawyer / solicitor - help needed

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

enterprise

Jul 12, 2010
Ok, seems a strange forum for this one but can anyone recommend a decent firm or individual of employment lawyers / solitcitors. Nobody extortionate but a good local Sussex firm who can review some correspondance and advise the best way forward or whether infact there is any case to be had or whether you need to put up and shut up!

Thanks

bha100

Aug 25, 2011
Ok, seems a strange forum for this one but can anyone recommend a decent firm or individual of employment lawyers / solitcitors. Nobody extortionate but a good local Sussex firm who can review some correspondance and advise the best way forward or whether infact there is any case to be had or whether you need to put up and shut up!

Thanks

Im using these and if you looking to just see if you have a case it won't cost anything and they will take it on with a nwnf basis

http://www.qualitysolicitors.com/

EDS

Banned
Nov 11, 2012
Be very careful of NWNF lawyers in employment cases as costs are very rarely awarded in a tribunal.
Make sure you get an estimate of their estimated costs as you may end up with pennies for a lot of grief on your part

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
Be very careful of NWNF lawyers in employment cases as costs are very rarely awarded in a tribunal.
Make sure you get an estimate of their estimated costs as you may end up with pennies for a lot of grief on your part

Are you sure...most have a policy in which they only take on your case if you're almost certain to win. Otherwise they decline...

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I've used Fiona Martin of Martin Searle and got an extra few grand from a redundancy, my girlfriend used her and got £8k and a friend of my girlfriend used her and got double figures. Highly recommended.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
I wouldn't use NWNF solicitor, if you have a case I think they can end up being very costly and the pre advice you are given may be incorrect if they don't think the fee they are likely to earn will be attractive enough ... just a hunch, no evidence to support.

I used this company Downs Solicitors in Surrey serving Godalming, Guildford, Dorking, Surrey and the South East Downs Solicitors and the Partner was a fella by the name of Matthew Kilgannon .. he knew his stuff but perhaps could have been more aggressive in negotiations with former employer but he got the job done well enough

EDS

Banned
Nov 11, 2012
Are you sure...most have a policy in which they only take on your case if you're almost certain to win. Otherwise they decline...

Absolutely certain, a NWNF lawyer would normally only take on this type of work if your case it REALLY good as it will e from your award that they take their cut.
Costs are only normally awarded in an employment tribunal if the other sides were making the proceedings last longer/not acting in an appropriate manner etc

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Rohan and Co Haywards Heath

Dandyman

In London village.
DMH Stallard are very good but you pay for what you get.

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
Read section 5 and the PDF for more reading, also very helpful if you have no idea of what to expect

FAQs guidance for Employment Appeal Tribunal
Fair dues,

has OP considered getting legal aid? You may be eligible for some support, at minimum they can advise you on your rights. If you know your rights, employers are likely to back down.

I had a dispute with Halfords over withheld pay 2 months ago, as soon as I begun laying down emails containing the law, my rights and how they've breached them. Then suggested legal action, they soon paid me what they owed me.

dragonred

Aug 8, 2011
Hove
Fair dues,

has OP considered getting legal aid? You may be eligible for some support, at minimum they can advise you on your rights. If you know your rights, employers are likely to back down.

I had a dispute with Halfords over withheld pay 2 months ago, as soon as I begun laying down emails containing the law, my rights and how they've breached them. Then suggested legal action, they soon paid me what they owed me.

I am a local solicitor myself - names mentioned are all decent firms so not hear any adverse comments whatsoever about any of them from me but one stands out based on my personal experiences and that is Fiona Martin at martin Searle. If I had any employment issues at all, I'd be on the phone to her instantly and as the local saying goes, you definitely want her on your side rather than against you if you want to win! Good luck whoever you speak to.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports