Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Emiliano Sala [signed by Cardiff, confirmed to have been on missing aircraft]

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Willie MacKay is an utter piece of filth, and I would be absolutely delighted if he went down for this.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I have some sympathy for Cardiff now (that they are in the Championship).

If you take the emotion and people out of it (very difficult) and consider a company that purchased some goods and agreed a deal, the agent agreeing the deal then organised the transit and the goods where lost. What would you do?

Cardiff have really done nothing wrong and any company would try and get out of their obligation given the same circumstances.

However, Nantes need paying and perhaps the money should come from MacKay; every rotten penny he has ever earned.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
I don’t begrudge Cardiff fighting to keep their money if they can, but I do have an issue with the club wrapping themselves around the emotion of the tragedy hoping that it will work for the team and then dismiss the ownership of him when it hasn’t worked out. That’s pretty disgusting to the memory of any person!

Last edited:

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
The club will probably have insurance that covers their players 24/7 whether or not the club organize the travel. They have a £16m asset that they want to protect. Where it might not cover them is if it excludes activities such as skiing or dangerous sports and, in this case, flying in private unauthorised private planes.

There are two ways for a business to take out this sort of life insurance on one of it's employees, on an individually underwritten basis, or on a group (ie all-employees) basis. Usually it would be the first. Clearly the best practice would be to have the employee insured from the moment he because their player. However, underwriting takes time and Cardiff are publicly arguing they don't believe they ever signed him, so they may not have got this completed.

Now a lot of insurers will offer cover for death due to accidents during the underwriting process. Though this can be limited (with my insurance company it's limited to a maximum of £300k).

Even if the insurance policy is in effect, then during the underwriting, they would have been asked questions about dangerous activities. This will include flying on non commercial flights. If they disclosed this in the application, the insurer didn't seek to exclude the risk and the policy has started then cover will be in place.

From the outside though Cardiff don't seem to be acting like a business who are fully covered by their insurance policy.

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
What makes you think “it would have to be on the clubs travel insurance” when you also apparently believe “The flight wasnt booked by the club either”.

Think about that.

I am saying if there was any insurance at all it would be on the clubs travel insurance. Its reported they didnt book it I cant be sure unless I saw the documents. But think about it yourself maybe. Who the F do you think is going to be paying out on this flight seriously?

I know this may be a big surprise to you but insurance companies where I have worked are extremely reluctant to pay out where large sums are concerned.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
There are two ways for a business to take out this sort of life insurance on one of it's employees, on an individually underwritten basis, or on a group (ie all-employees) basis. Usually it would be the first. Clearly the best practice would be to have the employee insured from the moment he because their player. However, underwriting takes time and Cardiff are publicly arguing they don't believe they ever signed him, so they may not have got this completed.

Now a lot of insurers will offer cover for death due to accidents during the underwriting process. Though this can be limited (with my insurance company it's limited to a maximum of £300k).

Even if the insurance policy is in effect, then during the underwriting, they would have been asked questions about dangerous activities. This will include flying on non commercial flights. If they disclosed this in the application, the insurer didn't seek to exclude the risk and the policy has started then cover will be in place.

From the outside though Cardiff don't seem to be acting like a business who are fully covered by their insurance policy.

I agree that they appear to have cocked up the insurance hence the problem.

With regard to cover, it could always be done on a declaration basis, ie the u/w knows the business they are in and knows that players might be signed moments before the deadline when no one at the insurer is around to confirm cover! There is no way a company would sign an asset worth £16m and not have it covered until the u/w turns up for work!

Also, a lot of reference has been made to travel insurance whereas this is more likely to be just a personal accident cover on a 24/7 basis.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I am saying if there was any insurance at all it would be on the clubs travel insurance. Its reported they didnt book it I cant be sure unless I saw the documents. But think about it yourself maybe. Who the F do you think is going to be paying out on this flight seriously?

I know this may be a big surprise to you but insurance companies where I have worked are extremely reluctant to pay out where large sums are concerned.

As I said in another post, this is not likely to be travel cover. More likely 24/7 personal accident cover and probably on a worldwide basis.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I agree that they appear to have cocked up the insurance hence the problem.

With regard to cover, it could always be done on a declaration basis, ie the u/w knows the business they are in and knows that players might be signed moments before the deadline when no one at the insurer is around to confirm cover! There is no way a company would sign an asset worth £16m and not have it covered until the u/w turns up for work!

you say this, yet here we are...

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I don’t begrudge Cardiff fighting to keep their money if they can, but I do have an issue with the club wrapping themselves around the emotion of the tragedy hoping that it will work for the team and then dismiss the ownership of him when it hasn’t worked out. That’s pretty disgusting to the memory of any person!

Especially when his first amateur boyhood football club that he joined as a youngster is still waiting for a tiny fraction of the sale money. It's just a small local club that lives hand to mouth.

Cardiff could at least pay them what they are owed as a good will gesture.

London Pompous

Feb 16, 2008
[tweet]1221463372497113088[/tweet]

If you want something classy sonny try this book

Published to cash in with anniversary of Sala’s death :ohmy:

Contains conspiracy theories about pilot jumping out of plane and being a ‘skydiving expert’ :ohmy:

The word ‘Killing’ in the title in red :ohmy:

Serialised in the shitrag that is The Sun :ohmy:

Lovely jubbly, a truly eloquent tribute to the death of a young man.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
If you want something classy sonny try this book

Published to cash in with anniversary of Sala’s death :ohmy:

Contains conspiracy theories about pilot jumping out of plane and being a ‘skydiving expert’ :ohmy:

The word ‘Killing’ in the title in red :ohmy:

Serialised in the shitrag that is The Sun :ohmy:

Lovely jubbly, a truly eloquent tribute to the death of a young man.

Cheers for that, I will take a look :thumbsup:

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Real shame, but was always going to turn into a shit fight.
They should pay up, as contract was already agreed and after all wasn't it a Cardiff representative that arranged the terrible travel arrangements.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Real shame, but was always going to turn into a shit fight.
They should pay up, as contract was already agreed and after all wasn't it a Cardiff representative that arranged the terrible travel arrangements.

No.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
[TWEET]1238465196315889665[/TWEET]

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
"Mr Ibbotson lost control of the plane while descending to avoid cloud and he was probably also affected by carbon monoxide.
The plane began to break up in mid-air as the pilot tried to regain control, investigators found.
His efforts to pull up from its final dive caused the tail fin and then the outer edges of both wings to shear off before it hit the sea.
Sala would have been "deeply unconscious" from carbon monoxide poisoning at the time".:eek:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here