[Travel] Emigrating advice

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
For the first few years that Mrs T and I lived in the Netherlands, our mindset was always that we went to the Netherlands and home to the UK. Then at some unspecified moment in time it flipped and we found ourselves going to the UK and then home to the Netherlands. It's a small and subtle but extremely significant shift in mindset, and one that I think most if not all expats/émigrés experience at one stage or other if they are out of their home country long enough.

Well better there than here if you prefer the EU to the UK?

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Of everywhere Mrs Jakarta and I have visited in the past 25 years (which is pretty well everywhere except Central America and Japan) the place I would happily relocate to is New Zealand. Lovely Place, lovely people and very, very uncrowded...

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
Managed to get myself a job sorted working for Falklands Conservation - basically promoting nature/wildlife conservation.
Can't wait!

Well done and let me also wish you good luck.

I have been to a few remote places at the tip of Argentina and it definitely made me want to visit the Falklands at some point!

Interesting that most Argentinians didn’t seem to know that Malvinas is just a Spanish derivation of Malouines being the name given to the islands by settlers from St. Malo who, iirc, were there before us and definitely before Argentina was a country!

Last edited:

SI 4 BHA

Nov 12, 2003
westdene, brighton
Managed to get myself a job sorted working for Falklands Conservation - basically promoting nature/wildlife conservation.
Can't wait!

That might be my daughter's previous job, she left FC a couple of months ago to work for the British Antarctic Survey. She's been out there 5 years now and loves it. I spent Feb 2020 down there, had a great time, although it wasn't to my wife's taste.

There is a great micro brewery in Stanley, guy called Jeff runs it and I helped him with a brew one afternoon! Has a tap on Friday afternoons with bacon sandwiches!

Hope you have a great adventure.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Well better there than here if you prefer the EU to the UK?

:shrug:

I'm not sure where in that post I expressed a preference for EU or UK. I prefer the Dutch (slightly more) egalitarian and (slightly) less class-oriented and (slightly) more laid-back attitude to life than the UK's, and its (slightly) less bonkers political system, if that's what you're on about. So, yes, I do consider myself better off here in the Netherlands.

On the other hand, if as I suspect that was a (barely) veiled attempt to have a dig at remainers and bring Brexit politics into it, you've come to the wrong thread. :kiss:

dannyboy

tfso!
Oct 20, 2003
Waikanae NZ
Of everywhere Mrs Jakarta and I have visited in the past 25 years (which is pretty well everywhere except Central America and Japan) the place I would happily relocate to is New Zealand. Lovely Place, lovely people and very, very uncrowded...

:bigwave: thats what i did 5 years ago nearly to the day . Miss the football and mates big time but the right move i think even with the bad stuff thats happened here.

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands
That might be my daughter's previous job, she left FC a couple of months ago to work for the British Antarctic Survey. She's been out there 5 years now and loves it. I spent Feb 2020 down there, had a great time, although it wasn't to my wife's taste.

There is a great micro brewery in Stanley, guy called Jeff runs it and I helped him with a brew one afternoon! Has a tap on Friday afternoons with bacon sandwiches!

Hope you have a great adventure.

Wow - small world!!

Many thanks :)

SI 4 BHA

Nov 12, 2003
westdene, brighton
Wow - small world!!

Many thanks :)

I'm sure you will bump into her and he boyfriend not long after you arrive, I told her to wear her Albion hat in January, when you guys get there. Stanley is pretty small and everyone knows what everyone is up to and the locals are bound to want to know all about the newcomers! :smile:

Interesting fact, although you will pay tax on your salaries out there, you will not have any voting rights for at least seven years, which is the earliest you can apply for "settlement". One of my daughter's few bugbears about the Falklands is "taxation without representation".

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands
I'm sure you will bump into her and he boyfriend not long after you arrive, I told her to wear her Albion hat in January, when you guys get there. Stanley is pretty small and everyone knows what everyone is up to and the locals are bound to want to know all about the newcomers! :smile:

Interesting fact, although you will pay tax on your salaries out there, you will not have any voting rights for at least seven years, which is the earliest you can apply for "settlement". One of my daughter's few bugbears about the Falklands is "taxation without representation".

I'll look out for her. I'll wear my Albion hat too. In case I do bump into her (I'm sure I will at some point) what is her name?
At least we will get healthcare etc for our taxes - annoying not being able to vote but my vote in the UK is often pointless given where I live!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports