Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Elvis: That’s The Way It Is

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Saw this years ago and just purchased on Amazon Prime for 2.99 as part of their regular Thursday sale.

Im a huge Elvis fan. I think he was absolutely unique. Supremely talented. Didn’t give an F what people thought. Loved life. Of course, he had his demons but what a character.

This film has reminded me of his sense of humour and just how funny he was. And such friendly humour.

Anyone else seen this documentary and concert film? It’s been out since the 70’s but well worth a look, for the audience hairstyles alone.

👍

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Agreed. I have it on DVD (somewhere) and its bloody brilliant. His performance of Suspicious Minds from this film was on TOTP2 many years ago and is what made me an Elvis fan.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Fan of Elvis here. I like to listen to a bit of gospel at Xmas and that includes Elvis. My favourite of his is the Memphis Sessions cd where he is relaxed and funny and his vocal is very much in the forefront. Agree this concert film is a good one. The latest Luhrmann movie made me sad, I hope there was more joy in his life than that. He may have only been a great "performer" in some eyes but he was at the forefront of a breakthrough.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Fan of Elvis here. I like to listen to a bit of gospel at Xmas and that includes Elvis. My favourite of his is the Memphis Sessions cd where he is relaxed and funny and his vocal is very much in the forefront. Agree this concert film is a good one. The latest Luhrmann movie made me sad, I hope there was more joy in his life than that. He may have only been a great "performer" in some eyes but he was at the forefront of a breakthrough.

Agree 💯

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
I was named after Elvis.

Long live the King 🤴

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Graceland, ostentatious pillars entrance apart is a very cool place. I loved it

Not a massive Elvis fan, more a Sinatra (recordings) fan myself. Elvis was 100% was a game changer though.

I was in awe of the history when I did a Sun Studios tour

Last edited:

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Graceland, ostentatious pillars entrance apart is a very cool place. I loved it

Not a massive Elvis fan, more a Sinatra (recordings) fan myself. Elvis was 100% was a game changer though.

I was in awe of the history when I did a Sun Studios tour
I do like some of the music that Elvis did, but again here more of a Sinatra fan.
Have you listened to Sinatra at the Sands album, brilliant.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I do like some of the music that Elvis did, but again here more of a Sinatra fan.
Have you listened to Sinatra at the Sands album, brilliant.
I have but my favourite Sinatra music is the album Songs For Swinging Lovers arranged by Nelson Riddle. Absolute classic for me

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
The Elvis 68 comeback special TV program was pretty good as well. Probably him at his peak before his health started to decline.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
The Elvis 68 comeback special TV program was pretty good as well. Probably him at his peak before his health started to decline.
That’s a great show. Yeah, he was in good shape for that.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Me too a Sinatra fan. Still have most of his albums ( alas on CD not vinyl) and love to play them still. Now Elvis was a game changer. Not sure it was for the best. We lost brilliant orchestras, lyric writers and composers.
And arrangers like Nelson Riddle

Sorry @The Clamp I have de railed your thread

Last edited:

mrhairy

Sep 4, 2004
Brighton
Not an Elvis fan but have great respect for him. Found Graceland to give very sad vibes where I think he became a prisoner. Much smaller thank you think. Sun Studios is interesting but Sam Phillips sold him to RCA for about £35,000 (about 300K now) and afterwards he became Parker's puppet. Elvis was such a polite man always eager to please and sadly took too much notice of Parker. After his Father sacked his friends he grew even lonelier. If you are in Memphis and not a fan would still suggest you go to visit Graceland. Very moving.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
As you know Mr Clamp, I’m an Elvis fan, not my first love in music which was always being played in our house, J.Cash and Marty Robins, obviously country & western, which as you know in the 70s Saturday tv, black and white old films were always on tv or Tarzan. I loved the story’s and still do in country & western, so aged 8 I’d started to get into music more the year Elvis died, and I’d love to say my favourite Elvis song was the very first rockabilly song allegedly, Blue Moon of Kentucky, it wasn’t it was the below song, the reason, there was a story to it, unrequited love, and the change in tempo, it changed how I listened to music, such a talented artist, that along with my favourite other artists of that time Buddy Holly changed the musical landscape forever.

& Yes a must see for Elvis appreciation.

Last edited:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
As you know Mr Clamp, I’m an Elvis fan, not my first love in music which was always being played in our house, J.Cash and Marty Robins, obviously country & western, which as you know in the 70s Saturday tv, black and white old films were always on tv or Tarzan. I loved the story’s and still do in country & western, so aged 8 I’d started to get into music more the year Elvis died, and I’d love to say my favourite Elvis song was the very first rockabilly sons allegedly Blue Moon of Kentucky, it wasn’t it was the below song, the reason, there was a story to it, unrequited love, and the change in tempo, it changed how I listened to music, such a talented artist, that along with my favourite other artists of that time Buddy Holly changed the musical landscape forever.

& Yes a must see for Elvis appreciation.

Great post and thanks for the info, love learning this sort of stuff.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here