Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Elon Musk and Twitter

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Is anyone else following this fast-moving soap opera?

$8/month if you want a blue tick.

Half the company sacked today. If you couldn't login to your email then you were gone.

Numerous blue-chip advertisers pulling the plug, temporarily at least.

This was funny though.

willalbion

May 8, 2006
London
It’s pretty mental. 44 billion, sack half the company and…

Razzoo

Sep 11, 2011
N. Yorkshire
The vast majority, maybe all blue tickers can easily afford that sub cost. I can't bring myself to feel any sympathy for them.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
First lot he got rid of were the people who remove misinformation. Which tells you most of what you need to know.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The ex-European head of Twitter was interviewed on Sky News business last week, he said the $54/share price paid really should’ve been $14/share. Musk was compelled by the company as it was to honour the deal and that high price.

Reminds me a bit of the 1999 / 2000 tech stocks bubble, although I realise Twitter is long established, but they’re loss making.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
First lot he got rid of were the people who remove misinformation. Which tells you most of what you need to know.

They allowed plenty of misinformation. All the time.

When you remove Trump but allow groups like the Taliban to operate on twitter that says a lot about those who were in power on twitter.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Elon doesn't seem to have realised the blue tickers are the product. If he drives them away to other platforms he'll lose user/user engagement and add revenue
there are no other platforms. for reasons i cant fathom, no one has replicated twitter. there are other ways to communicate, but the format is unique.

im only surprised how quickly he's acted. many of these internet social media companies look vastly over staffed. notice how twitter closed down... nope, thousands of employees doing nothing productive. that said, this feels uncoordinated, unplanned and probably a good way to destroy a lot of value.

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
im only surprised how quickly he's acted. many of these internet social media companies look vastly over staffed. notice how twitter closed down... nope, thousands of employees doing nothing productive.
Twitters been kept up because he didnt sack the tech that maintain the platform.

You seem to be suggesting that therefore everyone else was ‘doing nothing productive‘.

What if the bulk of those sacked were involved in moderating twitter?

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
there are no other platforms. for reasons i cant fathom, no one has replicated twitter. there are other ways to communicate, but the format is unique.

im only surprised how quickly he's acted. many of these internet social media companies look vastly over staffed. notice how twitter closed down... nope, thousands of employees doing nothing productive. that said, this feels uncoordinated, unplanned and probably a good way to destroy a lot of val
Its not really that unique though. The forced character limit is about the only thing unique about it

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Loads of user Twitter users have gone to Mastodon which is a decentralised Twitter alternative.

willalbion

May 8, 2006
London
The timing is interesting, not long until the midterms in the US. A high proportion of Republican candidates still claim the last election was fraudulent. Allegedly the bulk of the moderating & fact checking teams at Twitter have been given the Spanish Archer. What could possibly go wrong?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here