Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Electrical/lighting help

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
The outputs are different LED drivers output DC whilst the conventional LV transformer gives an ac output.

Sorry I can't let this go you said and I quote. "LED transformers don’t exist LED drivers do though"

Which I took on face value LED transformers do exsit as part of the circuitry of LED drivers

The output of any transformer from a AC supply will always be AC and is only when converted to DC by the use of a bridge rectifier and a smoothing circuit, all I was pointing out was somthing of a bug bear of mine and its to do with this in drivers particularly when built into retro fit lamps where space is of a premium means the circuitry is so small that rectification and smoothing circuitry is cut to a bare minimum which produces a very poor DC output and as such efficiency is not as good as manafactures would have you believe nor is the life expectancy with energy wasted through heat

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Not having a pop at anyone, but there’s a reason people in various trades go to colleges and do apprenticeships etc.
Then to spend 30 plus years in whatever trade they choose as their vocation, only to have DIYers nause stuff up and then expect us to sort it out...nightmare.
Lighting systems are a prime example, people see a pendant, drop a rose and find 12 wires up there.
I’ve lost count of the amount of times that I’ve had to sort lights out.
Don’t even get me started on 2 way switching or intermediate lighting circuits....
How many times have I heard ‘my mate reckons’ or ‘I googled it’, even worse ‘my mate had a go’

When someone asks for advice and it is freely given (by someone in the trade), respect that advice or call an expert in.
I know my limitations....electrics, domestic appliances and central heating systems.
If I need any building or woodwork done, I get someone in.
Rant over.
As you were x

I really like the way that you can get answers to all sorts of stuff on NSC and expect a mixture of sensible advice guesses, expert opinions and piss takes. It goes with the territory.

Personally I find when asking advice its best not to sound like you already know the answer.

It isn't that obscure and a couple of helpful folk quickly confirmed this.
https://www.thegreenage.co.uk/putting-spotlights-under-the-spotlight-gu10-versus-mr16/

My house was completely rewired 8 years ago. If I recall correctly the professionals, fell through the ceiling landing in the kitchen sink, walked fox sh1t into the house and chipped the shower tray with a ladder. All of which was rectified and I have no complaints.

Since then there have been a couple of minor changes performed by electricians, including putting in a fitting, that doesn't match anything else I have in the house. The job didn't warrant a trip to Screwfix to get a matching fitting.

This weekend I will be upgrading my heater controls. This means turning off the boiler and swapping over the controller cables. This would normally be beyond me, as my hot water setup is a little unusual, but it is a like for like swap Tado v1 to v3+
So plenty of photos and a bit of youtubing, I should be fine.

I need some garden lighting next year, I won't be attempting this myself, definetly one for the experts.

There is a point though where a job is too small for the pros to be bothered with it. This was a case in point and the object of discussion is now sitting somewhere in the middle of the municipal tip.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
You probably know more than me about these, it’s not something I’ve got involved in.
Have you ever fitted one of those toilets that blows hot air up your arse?

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Not having a pop at anyone, but there’s a reason people in various trades go to colleges and do apprenticeships etc.
Then to spend 30 plus years in whatever trade they choose as their vocation, only to have DIYers nause stuff up and then expect us to sort it out...nightmare.
Lighting systems are a prime example, people see a pendant, drop a rose and find 12 wires up there.
I’ve lost count of the amount of times that I’ve had to sort lights out.
Don’t even get me started on 2 way switching or intermediate lighting circuits....
How many times have I heard ‘my mate reckons’ or ‘I googled it’, even worse ‘my mate had a go’

When someone asks for advice and it is freely given (by someone in the trade), respect that advice or call an expert in.
I know my limitations....electrics, domestic appliances and central heating systems.
If I need any building or woodwork done, I get someone in.
Rant over.
As you were x
:lolol: I’ve had all that and more, It’s more the mentality I don’t get had a chap ruin his daughter’s 18th birthday party because he was to proud to phone a sparks, even though he had made things worse it took me 15 ‘minutes to have things up and running again, 6hrs this **** had been at it. I personally think places such as Screwfix and the like selling trade parts to anyone who wants them is to partly blame for the increase in confidence for joe public to have a go at electrical/plumbing work only to pay a heavy price when it’s all gone tits up. Still keeps the work coming in :)

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Have you ever fitted one of those toilets that blows hot air up your arse?

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

image.jpeg

:ohmy:
No, but fitted one with a bidet spray jet, I pressed the button to test it and blasted warm water into my eyes. :lolol:

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
: I personally think places such as Screwfix and the like selling trade parts to anyone who wants them is to partly blame for the increase in confidence for joe public to have a go at electrical/plumbing work only to pay a heavy price when it’s all gone tits up. Still keeps the work coming in :)

I blame YouTube, to be fair the public have had access to materials for years before Screwfix opened a branch in almost every town.
I’ve had people asking me to do work for them, but then telling me how long the job will take and how to do it, they have looked on Google and YouTube.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I blame YouTube, to be fair the public have had access to materials for years before Screwfix opened a branch in almost every town.
I’ve had people asking me to do work for them, but then telling me how long the job will take and how to do it, they have looked on Google and YouTube.
Good grief never had that think I would be walking away sharpish if I did.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Good grief never had that think I would be walking away sharpish if I did.

I don’t work for these types.
I don’t mind if someone holds up their hands and admits they have made a f*** up trying to do a job after seeing a YouTube vid, usually they are pleased I can help them out.

I went to a house this week and my customer mentioned to his neighbour I was visiting, the customer said his neighbour wanted an estimate to fit a radiator.
The neighbour appeared when I was getting something from the van, i took an instant dislike to her.
Neighbour- “Are you the plumber? “
Me- “Yes, hello “
Neighbour- “ Do I know you? “
Me - “No”
Neighbour-“ I need a new radiator, how much and how long will it take? “
Me- “ Don’t know, until I see what’s needed, and I’m still working on this job, I will look when I’ve finished”

Taking tools to van after finishing job.
Neighbour- “ You finished in there now?”
Me -“Yes”
Neighbour-“ I need a radiator to replace a leaking one in my hall, how much?”
Me- “ I better look, measure the radiator and look at the condition of the radiator valves to see if you need new ones as well “
Neighbour-“ You won’t need those, it’s only an hours work, take one radiator off, buy a new one and fit it”
( I knew I wouldn’t be doing this job before this as I didn’t like here tone and attitude )
Me- “ You seem to know how to do the job, I better check my diary, how about 3 weeks time? “
Neighbour- “ That’s far too long “
:bigwave:

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
I don’t mind if someone holds up their hands and admits they have made a f*** up trying to do a job after seeing a YouTube vid, usually they are pleased I can help them out.

I went to a house this week and my customer mentioned to his neighbour I was visiting, the customer said his neighbour wanted an estimate to fit a radiator.
The neighbour appeared when I was getting something from the van, i took an instant dislike to her.
Me- “Yes, hello “
Me - “No”
Me- “ Don’t know, until I see what’s needed, and I’m still working on this job, I will look when I’ve finished”

Me -“Yes”
Me- “ I better look, measure the radiator and look at the condition of the radiator valves to see if you need new ones as well “
Neighbour-“ You won’t need those, it’s only an hours work, take one radiator off, buy a new one and fit it”
( I knew I wouldn’t be doing this job before this as I didn’t like here tone and attitude )
Me- “ You seem to know how to do the job, I better check my diary, how about 3 weeks time? “

Probably leaking cos it’s rusted through, probably rusted through cos the system is full of shite and needs a flush, if it’s not the rad, it’s just a tail. Us people that work in houses would be far happier without the people that live in them :lolol::lolol::lolol:

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Probably leaking cos it’s rusted through, probably rusted through cos the system is full of shite and needs a flush, if it’s not the rad, it’s just a tail. Us people that work in houses would be far happier without the people that live in them :lolol::lolol::lolol:

:lolol::lolol:
I didn’t even get as far as looking, but I knew there would be more to the job than just changing a radiator.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham

Me- “Yes, hello “
Me - “No”

Me -“Yes”
Great thing about London nobody knows their neighbours:thumbsup: I like the it’s only an hours work..drive to supplier wait in queue drive to job (hour gone) these gammons haven’t a clue.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here