Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Electric Cars

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
From www.gentlemanpolska.com

Electric car - the biggest scam the world has ever seen?
Has anyone ever thought about this?
'If all cars were electric...
And if we were stuck in a three hour traffic jam in the cold of a snowstorm, our batteries would be completely dead.
Because electric cars basically don't have heating.
And the fact that I was stuck all night on the street without battery, heating, wipes, radio, GPS, battery died a long time ago.
You can try to call emergency services and protect women and children, but they cannot come to help because every road is closed and probably every police car will be electric.
And when the roads are blocked by thousands of cars, no one will be able to move forward. How do you charge batteries on the spot?
Traffic jams are the same problem even during holidays.
It would not be possible to turn on the air conditioning in an electric car for a short time. Your batteries would be dead in no time!
Of course no politician or journalist is talking about this, but it will happen.

View attachment 170714
Norway is one of the coldest countries in the world and also leads the world with EV adoption so I think you can file this concern under bollocks.

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022

And if we were stuck in a three hour traffic jam in the cold of a snowstorm, our batteries would be completely dead.
And the fact that I was stuck all night on the street without battery, heating, wipes, radio, GPS, battery died a long time ago.
You can try to call emergency services and protect women and children, but they cannot come to help because every road is closed and probably every police car will be electric.
And when the roads are blocked by thousands of cars, no one will be able to move forward. How do you charge batteries on the spot?
It would not be possible to turn on the air conditioning in an electric car for a short time. Your batteries would be dead in no time!
Of course no politician or journalist is talking about this, but it will happen.

View attachment 170714

What a colossal load of old horseshit. It’s moving the two and a half tons of metal that takes the battery, not the heater/aircon. Obviously different cars have different efficiency levels, but you can comfortably run an electric car’s heater for hours and only put a tiny dent in the available range.

The people who would be in trouble would be those setting off on a journey with no/minimal charge in the car, but frankly you’d have to be an absolute bell-end to try that with heavy snow predicted. You would be charging before heading out, and/or having a plan B (such as returning home or to the office) before just wandering out into the snow.

And then there’s the British climate, traditionally mild and damp with about 20 really cold days a year. I’d suggest the author of that piece of stupidity has been well paid for his bit of ludicrous FUD spreading. Gridlock is not an “electric only” car issue, and electric cars absolutely do have heaters. 🙄

To hear somebody try to push this nonsense in 2023 is embarrassing.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield

View attachment 170714
Complete and utter bull dung. EVs handle blizzard jams just as well as ICE cars.

Just thought I'd add here: yes, EVs lose range in colder conditions. But so do ICE.

My Zoe drops from consistent 4.4 miles per kWh in summer to 3.5ish in winter (or 3 when my Mrs has the heating turned up to 24 for short trips).

My hybrid Prius went from high 70s mpg to mid 60s mpg when I was using it for commuting.

My pure ICE motorcycle also loses range in winter. As did the pure ICE Aygo and Focus we had before the Zoe and Prius.

Last edited:

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
EV’s don’t have an issue here in Canada. Apparently it gets a bit cold here?
I thought that. Please don’t shoot the messenger, I have no opinion, just thought the article may be of interest to some on this thread. Looks like it’s all bollocks!

Out of interest, do the roads in Canada ever come to a standstill in the 2m drifts you get, or do the “highways agencies” keep them clear?

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Chinese manufacturer BYD currently has 10 dealers in the UK, that's about to become 250. A shape of things to come.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Complete and utter bull dung. EVs handle blizzard jams just as well as ICE cars.

Just thought I'd add here: yes, EVs lose range in colder conditions. But so do ICE.

My Zoe drops from consistent 4.4 miles per kWh in summer to 3.5ish in winter (or 3 when my Mrs has the heating turned up to 24 for short trips).

My hybrid Prius went from high 70s mpg to mid 60s mpg when I was using it for commuting.

My pure ICE motorcycle also loses range in winter. As did the pure ICE Aygo and Focus we had before the Zoe and Prius.
ICE cars are particularly inefficient on short journeys at any time of year and when they're cold they pollute like hell. Its been particularly evidence in the past week during with rush hour, still freezing air choked with car fumes

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
How much is it to fully charge your car at a charging point at a garage?

chickens

NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022

Prices vary, but fast chargers tend to be in the range of between 50p and 78p a kilowatt. The cars with the largest batteries that can do between 300-400 miles per charge tend to have batteries in the 80-90 kilowatt capacity, so that gives you some ballpark figures to play with.

The tech is being refined all the time, so expect newer vehicles (in general) to have better efficiency than the original EVs. (Nissan Leaf and Renault Zoe) vehicle weight plays a big part too. Don’t expect a Jaguar iPace to be hugely efficient, it’s concentrating on being hugely powerful.

As with every type of vehicle, more weight = more power required to push it along.

borat

Jul 16, 2003
Anyone know why electric leasing deals appear to have dropped heavily in the last few+ months? Was looking compared to 9 months ago and a lot of the cars are half what they were?

chickens

NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
Anyone know why electric leasing deals appear to have dropped heavily in the last few+ months? Was looking compared to 9 months ago and a lot of the cars are half what they were?

The Conservatives have caused a degree of uncertainty in the market by pushing back the date of going “electric only”.

Manufacturers had begun ramping up their electric vehicle design and production and stopped putting any money into their combustion engine products.

They are now left with a lot of EV vehicles in their inventory, which will be competing against their own combustion engine vehicles for five years longer than anticipated. Hence supply is likely to outstrip demand in the short term, hence the fall in prices.

Worse for the manufacturers, a 5 year extension (in terms of design, build and supply chains) isn’t long enough for a full “new model” design for combustion engine vehicles, so new combustion engine models are likely to be product refreshes rather than full new models until the combustion engine is finally phased out in 2035. Or designs will be compromises that can be either electrified or have combustion engine powertrains.

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
That depends on the supplier
I charge at Pease Pottage for home games and it’s 68p kWh at home it’s 7.5p per kWh

Normally I set off from swindon with 100% charge and chuck in £15 at PP and that should get me home.

If it’s looking close for any reason a quick £5 volt and bolt at Reading services while having a pee stop sorts it.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield

The Conservatives have caused a degree of uncertainty in the market by pushing back the date of going “electric only”.

Manufacturers had begun ramping up their electric vehicle design and production and stopped putting any money into their combustion engine products.

They are now left with a lot of EV vehicles in their inventory, which will be competing against their own combustion engine vehicles for five years longer than anticipated. Hence supply is likely to outstrip demand in the short term, hence the fall in prices.

Worse for the manufacturers, a 5 year extension (in terms of design, build and supply chains) isn’t long enough for a full “new model” design for combustion engine vehicles, so new combustion engine models are likely to be product refreshes rather than full new models until the combustion engine is finally phased out in 2035. Or designs will be compromises that can be either electrified or have combustion engine powertrains.

Also: starting January 1st 2024, each manufacturer must sell a minimum (22% for 2024) quota of EVs each year. If they miss the target, there's a fine for every car they are beneath the target. In theory that fine is large enough that it will be cheaper for manufacturers to subsidise the price of a new EV (even selling at a loss if they're struggling come year end) rather than pay the fine.

Given the lead times on car sales, it's likely any reductions you're seeing now are designed to try to get sales moving as early as possible in 2024 so manufacturers can get a head start on hitting the quota.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I thought that. Please don’t shoot the messenger, I have no opinion, just thought the article may be of interest to some on this thread. Looks like it’s all bollocks!

Out of interest, do the roads in Canada ever come to a standstill in the 2m drifts you get, or do the “highways agencies” keep them clear?
If there's a big snowstorm in Ontario, the roads will come to a standstill. They're very good at sending the snowplows out to clear the roads but there's only so much you can do when the snow is still coming down hard. Although the highways around Toronto are at a standstill most of the time anyway, so it probably doesn't make much difference in that respect :lolol:

On the plus side, most people have winter tyres. That really makes a difference to driving in the snow and ice. I still try and avoid it as much as I can though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here