Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Elderly people in supermarkets

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I get annoyed by the people who, upon entering the doorway, stand stock still like they have just stepped out of The Tardis and are trying to figure out what planet they are on and why they have arrived at a supermarket...

My other annoyance are the morons who lack the intellect to collect a basket or trolley at the door and have to clutch their selected purchases to their chest.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
So much bad behaviour around… I agree. But there is no need for anti pensioner rants.. C’mon, it is Christmas! a time for goodwill to all men . We all know supermarket shopping is stressful . Consider it character building.
As a former young man who has grown old and slow , I tell you it is no fun and we do NOT do it to just wind up people. NB you also grow slow of mind as well as body .

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Yet another annoyance is " Perfect Gatherer Woman" , these are women usually between 30 and 50 years old who have to check ever packet of fresh food for its best before date and appearance, noticed this quite a lot recently with packets of pre packed ham and bacon... Several times i have seen these women going through a box of sliced ham like they are playing cards... genuinely felt like saying once " FFS, are you looking for an Ace ? "

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Yet another annoyance is " Perfect Gatherer Woman" , these are women usually between 30 and 50 years old who have to check ever packet of fresh food for its best before date and appearance, noticed this quite a lot recently with packets of pre packed ham and bacon... Several times i have seen these women going through a box of sliced ham like they are playing cards... genuinely felt like saying once " FFS, are you looking for an Ace ? "

You just can't win, I get my head bitten off if I buy anything anything that goes out of date within the next day or so, or looks rank in its packet.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
My other annoyance are the morons who lack the intellect to collect a basket or trolley at the door and have to clutch their selected purchases to their chest.
That might be me actually. I often pop in to the co-op to get only a couple of things - so don't bother with a basket. Then I find that the cat food (or whatever) is on offer, and end up with loads. And of course the bag I took isn't big enough (because I was only buying two things), and I refuse to buy new plastic bags - so I spend time at the till trying to get too much into one bag, and balancing the rest on the top.

Mind you, the other customers are generally old biddies - so I'm just getting my own back for all of the above posts!!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Ageist claptrap thread!
There's thousands of WSU STHs who chose 'their' seat a decade ago who assumed that those bastid stairs were never ever going to be a problem for them. Guess what? Every single one of those people has that exact same problem coming to them somewhere down the line :wave:

The Hermit Kingdom

Oct 29, 2023
Seaford Morrisons is an absolute shitemare at any time of year, turn it back into the Ritz Cinema asap. The one on St James’s St is equally crammed, with similarly too-narrow aisles heavy on 30-something pretentious Brighton wankers. On balance, give me Seaford pensioners blocking aisles 2/3/4/5/6/7 any day.

:hilton:

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
My mother is 90 and she was complaining about "old" people in shops recently as well - except the people she was complaining about are at least 20 years younger than she is.

Make sense of that if you can.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
…….and then when the cashier has scanned everything, THEN start fumbling around in your massive handbag for your purse, THEN spend ages trying to find the right card……oh hang on, I think I’ve got a couple of coupons in here somewhere……etc

Hold on you let old ladies fumble in your massive handbag….is this a euphemism 👀

FFS

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I have to smile at all these comments, all of them very true! I worked for M&S Holmbush for 30+ years, (now an OAP). At Christmas we all had to help on foods and often on the Christmas food collection points, which I must say have been very well organised, the past few years. It never failed to amaze me how much food bought/ordered for just two days!
Christmas was good fun and I miss all happy and miserable customers.
Just been in there this evening …the b****ds have changed the layout in the food hall again…it’s a deliberate attempt to keep us in their for hours going backwards and forwards to find one single item 👀

lol seriously I’ve had quite a pleasant shopping experience …I find a quick smile as you navigate in between trolleys …..wishing the staff well etc makes things go much better

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
The only thing that annoys me is the online personal shoppers which seem to be there all hours with those wide trolleys with green boxes clogging up all the aisles. They seem to congregate in threes and fours.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Unfortunately I have to trolley it good thing is the staff discount otherwise there is no way I could afford to shop there.
There are a couple of things to miss about Blighty. Albion of course, and M&S Food Hall @ Xmas, sigh………

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
:thumbsup:
I’ve been known to show up at M&S recently :lolol:
So much more civilised than watching families of chavs arguing in Asda 😁all though far less entertaining.
I buy my work trousers from Asda at £15 a pop I can’t go wrong, anyhow was in Asda the other day and this poor fella wanted some honey the big Shelia of a wife was literally screaming at him I’m not ffin buying honey you are the only one that eats it 😬
I felt like buying a few jars of honey for the poor sod.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here