Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Elder set to start, Murray on the bench...

questier

Apr 16, 2006
Cambridgeshire/Liverpool
According to the argus:

Murray on bench for Northampton but Elder could start
By Andy Naylor
Comment
GLENN Murray, Albion's biggest buy for 25 years, looks like starting on the bench at Northampton on Tuesday night.

The £300,000 striker from Rochdale may have to wait for his chance, even though Alex Revell is ruled out of the attack by a groin injury.

Nathan Elder is in line for only his second start of the season in place of Revell.

advertisement
Boss Dean Wilkins hinted at his plans following Murray's first training session since his move on Friday. Although pleased with what he saw from his new recruit, Wilkins said: "He has missed a few days, travelling up and down the motorway, so he has not trained that much. We just have to have a little look at that and a think about that."

Wilkins added: " "Nathan has probably looked as sharp as he has looked in a long time." Albion are giving a trial to 19-year-old left winger Nikola Nikolic, from Swiss second division club Concordia.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
What a f***ing JOKE.

300k for a new striker - yet Wilkins decides Elder deserves a go.
Thomson went straight in, why can't Murray?
WHAT? What? WHAT?

*awaits TLO abuse*

What a f***ing JOKE.

WHAT? What? WHAT?

*awaits TLO abuse*

Are you serious? Maybe the manager felt that he had no better option with Thompson, but does with Murray? Didn't Wilkins say that Murray had only had one day training with us, and had gone about 2/3 days last week not training due to the move?

Maybe, just maybe, Dean Wilkins has a better idea of whether he's fit and ready than the great & good of NSC. Is that a possibility?

Edit: P.S. Sorry TLO if I stole your thunder! :p

bristolseagull

Jul 5, 2003
Lindfield
What a f***ing JOKE.

WHAT? What? WHAT?

*awaits TLO abuse*

my thoughts EXACTLY...............

wilkins is f***ing clueless

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
What a f***ing JOKE.

WHAT? What? WHAT?

*awaits TLO abuse*

IMO it could be a master stroke by Wilkins !

Elder will be playing out of his skin in order to keep his place and Murray will be dying to get into the action and make an instant impression.

Therefore we get the best out of both strikers with elder playing his socks off and Murray coming off the bench and making an instant impact !!

Are you serious? Maybe the manager felt that he had no better option with Thompson, but does with Murray? Didn't Wilkins say that Murray had only had one day training with us, and had gone about 2/3 days last week not training due to the move?

Maybe, just maybe, Dean Wilkins has a better idea of whether he's fit and ready than the great & good of NSC. Is that a possibility?

Shirley Knott.

Maybe Elder has complained (or DW noted) that he didn't get a fair enough crack of the whip yet, and since he may actually have a point - he's been given an opportunity to perhaps give the manager a selection nightmare.

It's what strengthening the squad is all about, having competition for a place in the first team, and even the new guys shouldn't immediately expect to be given a guarantee of a place. They should compete just like everyone else, and as sportsmen, it's what their career is all about.

The manager has the last word though, and if he chooses to not play someone, or to put someone straight in - that's up to him, and he'll succeed or fail on the strengths or weaknesses of his decisions.

Remember Shankly, and then Paisley at Liverpool? They would induct a new player to the club and the team over several weeks before they even got a game. Okay, so Liverpool could afford those luxuries, but it certainly didn't do them any harm to do things that way.

It's important that Elder doesn't just go bull-at-a-gate to notch his own name on the scoresheet though, and waste chances to assist for others to score, if in better positions. It would be wise to temper the situation by underlining the importance of overall performance over simply bagging a goal (and maybe wasting 7 good chances to gave goals to other players, while we lose 2-1!)

Last edited:

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
if he was on the bench due to revell starting, i could understand it as he has been our most in-form striker. but elder really has done nothing to impress me, and starting him seems a rather bizarre decision to make

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
well if that is true, that makes my mind up about not going to Northampton.

Most expensive signing for years, on a golden streak of scoring and Wilkins choses a player who IMHO is no better than McCammon, when he has had months to pick him.

( I wonder if Wilkins is doing this on purpose as he didnt want another striker and this bloke has been foisted on him?....just a thought)

Edit: P.S. Sorry TLO if I stole your thunder! :p

Oh don't spoil WW's lack of ANY insight on squad management, by rational and sensible input.

You MUST let the whinging moaners release their little angers, and call everyone "lickers", otherwise they will bust a gut.

well if that is true, that makes my mind up about not going to Northampton.

Most expensive signing for years, on a golden streak of scoring and Wilkins choses a player who IMHO is no better than McCammon, when he has had months to pick him.

( I wonder if Wilkins is doing this on purpose as he didnt want another striker and this bloke has been foisted on him?....just a thought)

:thud:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here