El-Abd today...

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

twickers

Jul 17, 2003
Ever since Wise came down for a session with the team he's been playing like a vintage Wimbledon defender. He'll be appearing in a Guy Ritchie movie next.

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
He was spotting Carroll what, six inches? There's no way to equalize that without the liberal application of muscle, and elbows.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
He got away with a lot of League 1 type hassling of Caroll at set pieces in the box I was surprised he wasn't booked and half expected a penalty for it at some stage

Last edited:

Prodigal Son

Getting older by the day
Sep 21, 2009
Sussex
As much as I dislike Carroll, I was less than impressed with El-Abd cuddling him on every corner.

May lead to problems if we have the usual numpty officials and he cuddles someone who is clever at falling over in the right way.

Big Ernie McCracken

Mar 9, 2009
Thought el-abd did well today, he certainly outperformed calderon, his passing was crisp and he only had one misplaced pass....bottom line is that he was a cb playing lb, and whats he meant to do at corners shake the centre forwards hand and wish him good luck?

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Kebab did OK today , Carroll was a good 6 inches taller and a stone heavier.

I think he did play well in general (better than Dunk) but his defending of set-pieces was very worrying. And Carroll could have easily dropped a couple of times and got a penalty from a different ref. Fair or not, he needs to be careful.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Cost us the first goal IMO.

The side show with Carroll did cost us the first goal but at least Carroll knew he had an opponent who could mix it with him when A Al E was on the pitch, look what happened when he was taken off!!

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
I partially agree but El Abd was left back not centre half Dunk should have been the one marking Carroll with El Abd in the centre the whole defensive line was out of shape.

jezzer

Jul 18, 2003
eastbourne
you are joking? the most entertaining part of the 1st half apart from lualuas goal was el abds hassling of carroll, yes hes got to be careful but it was bloody funny and why the hell he was taken off i shall never know.

Why do we allocate El Abd to mark their tallest player when we have two other six foot defenders ? I know people will say it is because he more able to match Carroll physically but that says more about the others lack of physical presence. Set pieces are becoming an achilles heel defensively because of that lack of physicality in the box - fortunately championship teams are not that good at exploiting it.

HHGull

BZ fan club
Dec 29, 2011
I thought El-Abd was good. Showed strength throughout. Happy enough with his performance...

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports