Votes: 76 96.2%
  • Chelsea

Votes: 3 3.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
The whole point of the use of VAR in offside decisions is that it is for factual clear and obvious errors. Even if it is an inch, a player is “factually” offside. The idea of inviting a referee to make a subjective assessment at a pitch side screen (in front of 89,000 fans, in a timely manner) is frankly absurd.

When VAR was introduced, they promised that offsides were a purely matter of fact - you’re either offside or not. Having a referee decide makes an absolute farce of that promise. If he’s offside, VAR should advise the referee and the law of the game applied.

He has zero reason to see the incident himself in a “matter of fact” incident.
But the factual bit was 'offside'. That's not what the ref was then called to the screen for - that was the subjective 'was he interfering with play?'

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Fair enough if you knew it, I just assumed interfering with play was playing or challenging for the ball or being in the way of the keeper. But now I know that it's doing anything to impede the defensive team from defending the free kick, even if your involvement isn't a foul in itself. There was another similar case recently. Of course very difficult to spot without VAR
I replied I doubt it as they are laws of the game not rules.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
The whole point of the use of VAR in offside decisions is that it is for factual clear and obvious errors. Even if it is an inch, a player is “factually” offside. The idea of inviting a referee to make a subjective assessment at a pitch side screen (in front of 89,000 fans, in a timely manner) is frankly absurd.

When VAR was introduced, they promised that offsides were a purely matter of fact - you’re either offside or not. Having a referee decide makes an absolute farce of that promise. If he’s offside, VAR should advise the referee and the law of the game applied.

He has zero reason to see the incident himself in a “matter of fact” incident.
The first sentence isn't correcting an error it is proving fact. Subjective isn't checking clear and obvious it is simply informing the ref a player who was in an offside position "may" have become active. It is then only the view of the ref is if he agrees. Therefore subjective.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Zeus

Jan 10, 2022
The big positive from this is I really think we could beat Liverpool if we meet them in the Europa. Hopefully in the final rather than over two legs.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
You knew exactly what I meant. But you still wanted to point out your pedantry which makes you not much better than a Palarse fan :shrug:
f*** off. How f***ing dare you, wanker ;)

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Wonder what odds you would get for man city, United, arsenal, Chelsea or Liverpool winning both domestic cups at the start of the season?
It's all a bit shit really.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
But the factual bit was 'offside'. That's not what the ref was then called to the screen for - that was the subjective 'was he interfering with play?'
When offside and VAR was announced originally, PGMOL said definitively that VAR would rule on offside decisions based on fact - not opinion. Asking a referee to review the incident is the exact opposite.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
When offside and VAR was announced originally, PGMOL said definitively that VAR would rule on offside decisions based on fact - not opinion. Asking a referee to review the incident is the exact opposite.
In this case he becomes active from offside so should they just give him offside?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Laughing Out Loud Lol GIF by Minions

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here