Eels!

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
No, but I do know that their blood is toxic to humans, and that toxicity is only removed by cooking them.

The idea of jellied eels, frankly, repulses me :sick:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I believe that the they do migrate there to spawn and then the young return to European rivers to live and grow until returning to the Sargasso to spawn and complete the cycle.

On a similar issue, i'm a sea angler and I have it on good authority that a sexually mature male or female Conger Eel has never been caught. The rod caught record goes to approx 120 lb and there have been reports of Congers up to 200lb occasionaly being caught in trawl nets. Even these have never been caught " with Roe" which begs the question, how big do they get when they are mature, and ,where are they ?

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I do know that Mark Oliver Everett is a genius. (Was I the only one who opened this thread hoping for some music?

This is my favourite Eels song in the world

[yt]wREjT7DlI7M[/yt]

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I do know that Mark Oliver Everett is a genius. (Was I the only one who opened this thread hoping for some music?

This is my favourite Eels song in the world

[yt]wREjT7DlI7M[/yt]

I think if you look around the board you will find there is an Eels thread relating to their music, and that this one was probably posted in response.

Or it could be the other way around of course :shrug:

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
Funnily enough, I have just bought some tickets to their show at the Dome in July, happy days!

EDIT: didnt see the previous thread = Silly me

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
strangely, I have caught eels before, but not Eels. That will change

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
eels have been known to cross roads fields ect to get to their spawning areas, in my time working on trawlers we netted many congers up to the 100lb mark, divers ive spoken to reckon they have seen eels they estimate to be over 200lb on deep sea wrecks and a eel of 194lb was found washed up on a beach on the dingle penninsula a few years ago,they have the capacity to grow much bigger but to date this is the largest ever recorded at 210lb

Ernie-Els.jpg

Hornblower

Jul 7, 2003
OK, I like The Eels too, shame it took a sync in Shrek for most people to discover them. I also love to fish, and I'm not too keen on unhooking eels. But I still go back to the original point of this thread; we are told that every eel that exists was born in the Sargasso sea and has travelled from there to its current destination, am I alone in finding that very hard to believe?

Marcos Painter - totally ace, nice to see him get some well earned recognition on here.

We have to stop Gadafi from murdering his own people.

I'm really enjoying my celebratory Pinot Grigio.

Heineken is the best canned lager available in the UK.

My recently acquired Kawasaki KMX 200 is a total gas.

I love my club.

I'm going to bed early tonight.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports