Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Edingburgh

Cromwell Road Gull

Jul 2, 2008
Afternoon all. On a 2 day stag to Edinburgh Thursday before heading down to Hartlepool for the match.

Anyone got any tips for thin gs to do/see

cheers

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
Go to Glasgow , it's far better. West End, Merchant City to name a few places. Only £13 return on the train, they run every fifteen minutes. Get off at Queen Street , Glasgow and have a pint (or 6) in The Counting House (Weatherspoons and only £1.60 a pint).

Last train back after 11 pm

Enjoy

TNBA

TTF

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
Go to Glasgow , it's far better. West End, Merchant City to name a few places. Only £13 return on the train, they run every fifteen minutes. Get off at Queen Street , Glasgow and have a pint (or 6) in The Counting House (Weatherspoons and only £1.60 a pint).

Last train back after 11 pm

Enjoy

TNBA

TTF

are you suggesting that having traveled all the way up to Scotland these lads then spend their evening drinking in a 'spoons!

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
Glasgee is way better at the moment but the burgh, the burgh...

Vegan baked potato shop café on Cockburn Street off the Royal Mile. Yum
On the same street, Avalanche record shop. Indier than tho.
The Wee Red Bar for an indie dance off – it's the art school's student union
The Meadows – like that green bit of park near the Freebutt but 10839787 times bigger and loads of wee stalls and nice stuff
Fruitmarket Gallery

This is the place at the student union –
The Wee Red Bar
It's DEAD GOOD SATURDAY NIGHT FUN I LOVE IT, cheap and I guess open until 5am. If I remember correctly it's only four quid or so to get in. It's also full of socially awkward Belle and Sebastian fans in cords. Best ever.
If you prefer a naffer, Stone Rosesesque indie night on Sat go to the Citrus Club on Grindlay Street. Or Evol on a Friday at the Liquid Rooms is ok too.

willingdon_seagull

Mar 5, 2008
Glasgow - urgh! What a dump, up there with Liverpool and Wakefield as one of the biggst dross holes in the UK if you ask me.

Edinburgh on the other hand, well you are spoilt for choice. If its pubs you are interested in then stay away from the Royal Mile - very tourist orientated and pricey come to think of it! Plenty of pubs in Rose Street and the streets off of the Royal Mile which meander back down towards the Waverley Station and the streets that lead from the castle (Johstone Terrace I recall). It can be a good atmosphere with some trendy bars and clubs in the Cowgate too although they can be on the pricey side. Plenty of crumpet down there though!

Visit the Castle, the views across to the Firth of Forth and across the City are stunning. As is the view from the top of the Scot monument. A nice walk is up from the edge of Holyrood Park up onto Arthurs Seat. Again, splendid views and always nice to walk off a few pints from the night before! The bus tours can also be good

In the evening, one of the ghost tours can be a good laugh if you have a group of you. They depart on the Royal Mile itself in general.

Oh and for a bit of lap dancing look no further than Lothian Road :thumbsup:

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Don't mention the trams to the taxi drivers

Jambo Seagull

Jul 18, 2003
The Athens of the North
Edinburgh - North Stand Chat

Edinburgh - Page 2 - North Stand Chat

Check out this thread from 2006. Most of it still applies:

Hibs are still shite and can't sell all their tickets.

Glasgow is still a big shithole populated by people with even more annoying accents than Scousers (Typical of an adopted Weegie to suggest taking a train to go and have a drink in a Wetherspoons!)

Deuchars IPA is still the best real ale in the known universe.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west

It is certainly a very good pint and may be enjoyed in the Caley Sample Room not far from Tynecastle...along with Caledonian 80 shillings and several other drinkable offerings from Scottish breweries.

If you want a good pint in town then check out Bert's Bar in William Street, if it is still there, I drank many a decent pint of Black Sheep in there.

scotjem

Oct 25, 2003
Glasgow
Glasgow is still a big shithole populated by people with even more annoying accents than Scousers

You're just sulking because Take That aren't playing Murrayfield.

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
I'm not sure if this is just a Fringe thing, but the Caberet Volataire had some absolutely fantastic acts, not well known but absolutely amazing. Highly reccomend it, I think one comedian out of the 50+ i saw when I was there was awful and even then, he was quite well known: Paul Foot.

The GRV has usually got some good shows, and the Liquid Rooms might have a couple of good gigs on (Professor Green and Plan B both did shows there during my week up there although i couldn't afford to see them, it was only a tenner but money was tight :lolol:)

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
A major embarrassment: 4 times over budget for a service which is 4 times less extensive than originally planned, or so I hear. Massive disruption for very little benefit.

:lolol: Its taken them a year to do, they were meant to (IIRC from 2009) have it open by August this year.

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
Edinburgh - North Stand Chat

Edinburgh - Page 2 - North Stand Chat

Check out this thread from 2006. Most of it still applies:

Hibs are still shite and can't sell all their tickets.

Glasgow is still a big shithole populated by people with even more annoying accents than Scousers (Typical of an adopted Weegie to suggest taking a train to go and have a drink in a Wetherspoons!)

Counting House is not any ordinary 'spoons' is it? Go South/Esst from there and Blackfriars in Merchant City is a real quality real ale pub. As for those rubbishing Glasgow, all I can say is that apart form our own fair city, Glasgow is streets clear of all other Cities in the UK that I have ever been to. Oh and I have been to them all. If you don't get Glasgow then you don't deserve to get Glasgow, go to Kilwinning instead!

TNBA

TTF

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
try the birk & hare, just off the lothian road.

great quality pole dancing, the whole nine yards comes out............

raymondbriggs

Dec 21, 2008
on a snowman plough
Can I just suggest that Embra is so good that(that other famous author) Irvine Welsh,who has written so many great books about local life, has shown his devotion to the great city-by moving to Dublin.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Rose Street, which runs parallel to the main shopping street, Princes Street, has loads of pubs and bars. Can do a nice little crawl along there.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here