Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Edinburgh

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Hi NSC font of all knowledge

Thinking of going to Edinburgh and have never been before (poss NYE) has anyone got any recommendations of hotels nearish the Hogmany party, and also any restaurants or other good stuff/must see stuff

cheers

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
Vegan baked potato shop café on Cockburn Street off the Royal Mile. Yum
On the same street, Avalanche record shop. Indier than tho.
The Wee Red Bar for an indie dance off – it's the art school's student union
The Meadows – like that green bit of park near the Freebutt but 10839787 times bigger and loads of wee stalls and nice stuff
Fruitmarket Gallery Fruitmarket Gallery, Edinburgh | Contemporary Art in Edinburgh in The Fruitmarket Gallery

This is the place at the student union –
The Wee Red Bar
The Egg (Wee Red Bar, Edinburgh) | The List
It's DEAD GOOD SATURDAY NIGHT FUN I LOVE IT, cheap and I guess open until 5am. If I remember correctly it's only four quid or so to get in. It's also full of socially awkward Belle and Sebastian fans in cords. Best ever.
If you prefer a naffer, Stone Rosesesque indie night on Sat go to the Citrus Club on Grindlay Street. Or Evol on a Friday at the Liquid Rooms is ok too.

Last edited:

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai

Edinburgh is bloody lovely (the only city up north I'd consider moving to) and the ladies are top. Recommendations are the two modern art galleries. Valvona and Crolla italian deli and cafe on Leith Street and more good pubs you can shake yer sporran at. Always loads of gigs n stuff.You are pretty much guaranteed a good time.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
If you are thinking of coming for NYE (Hogmanay up here!), you need to get tickets. Otherwise you won't be able to get into the centre of town area, or see the concerts, fireworks etc.

In some years they sell out sharpish, but in recent years sales have been slower. They went on sale the other week:

Edinburgh's Hogmanay 2009 - 2010 MMIX - MMX- The World's Best New Year Celebrations!.

Cheers mate, I saw that and see hotels are booking up already (expected that)

That Ceilidh thing looks good, looks like it can soon start to be expensive as well

house your seagull

Train à Grande Vitesse
Jul 7, 2004
Manchester
the only city up north I'd consider moving to

have you never considered manchester?

389297315_6fb0308c22.jpg

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Its an alright place, unless you got mega bucks wouldn't bother with NYE as most if not all reasonable places are booked up. If you do go don't mention the Trams 'they don't want em you know'

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I'd recommend going to Glasgow rather than Edinburgh, cracking city. Brighton's got far more going for it than Edinburgh IMHO.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Echo the comments above, why waste time and money in Edinburgh when Glasgie is only a hour by train away? We stayed in Edinburgh last year, and the highlight by far was the day we spent in Glasgow.

Jambo Seagull

Jul 18, 2003
The Athens of the North
Places to go worth seeing when staying in Edinburgh? Easy. Jump on the train to Glasgow.

what a load of slavering shite, Mark.

Glasgow's just another big city. I quite like it but it's not a patch on Edinburgh. The big problem with Glasgow is that it is full of Weegies.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here