Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Edinburgh War Memorial Vandalised

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Has it been proved it was arson? Is there any trace of an accelerant? I read a theory earlier that lit candles had been placed on the Memorial next to the plastic wreaths and paper poppies.
Hopefully, cctv will reveal the cause.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Vandals? No, whoever did it isn't at that level.

Just scum. Probably they think they're woke. Gallantly protesting against the glorification of war, the British Empire, militarism, slavery, racism, Brexit and sugar-free diet coke or something ...................

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021

Just scum. Probably they think they're woke. Gallantly protesting against the glorification of war, the British Empire, militarism, slavery, racism, Brexit and sugar-free diet coke or something ...................
Hmm, much more likely some pissed/coked up young hoolie, who's barely aware of what they're doing, but it pisses off the oldies so it's fun, than it is to be someone making a political point

Reactions: SAC

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

…wouldn’t that make them vandals as they had a reason?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Hmm, much more likely some pissed/coked up young hoolie, who's barely aware of what they're doing, but it pisses off the oldies so it's fun, than it is to be someone making a political point
In terms of the mentality involved, it's pretty much the same thing.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Let's see what transpires before we start exonerating or burning, OK? I have a pitchfork ready in one hand, and a mug of warm soup in the other...

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Vandals have reasons? Wow!
It would imply a deliberate act. Which is what vandalism is.

But if you want to invent a scenario which allows you to blame it on things you’re already prejudiced against to make you feel better then who am I to stop you? I’ll wait for some evidence before deciding what happened and who, if anyone, is to blame, but you do you.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
It would imply a deliberate act. Which is what vandalism is.

But if you want to invent a scenario which allows you to blame it on things you’re already prejudiced against to make you feel better then who am I to stop you? I’ll wait for some evidence before deciding what happened and who, if anyone, is to blame, but you do you.
Do people often set fire to a War Memorial accidentally? Just asking, like.....................

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Do people often set fire to a War Memorial accidentally? Just asking, like.....................
If, as was intimated earlier, it was due to candles left near wreaths of paper poppies, then I would say yes it would be an accident. Wouldn’t you?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

My hunch is just little pricks who like damaging other peoples property. No graffiti giving a statement.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012

They think they’re woke? Cobblers. What a load of rubbish! Probably just pi55ed.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
If, as was intimated earlier, it was due to candles left near wreaths of paper poppies, then I would say yes it would be an accident. Wouldn’t you?
It would only be an accident if you were incapable of understanding that paper and a naked flame aren't a good match.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
It would only be an accident if you were incapable of understanding that paper and a naked flame aren't a good match.
Unfortunately, there are over a thousand house fires every year just from candles. As I said, it was a possibility, as none of us know the cause yet, but plenty want to jump on the bandwagon.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here