Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Ed Turns [Loaned to Crewe - 1/2/24]

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
My reckoning is that Clarke and Van Hecke are the most likely to be in our squad next season, I think Ostigard will be off, too aggresive, and not prepared to be a bit part player and work his way in it seems, but he will have a good career when he gets a bit better control of himself, Roberts and Dendonker for the future still, with Roberts most likely to make the grade.

I honestly don't think that any of us have seen nearly enough of the above to make that call yet, with the exception of Haydon Roberts, and even then only very briefly, none of them have been seen in an Albion first team shirt.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I honestly don't think that any of us have seen nearly enough of the above to make that call yet, with the exception of Haydon Roberts, and even then only very briefly, none of them have been seen in an Albion first team shirt.

Ed Turns has played a full 90 minutes for the first team (League Cup against Swansea). Still only 19 though, so surely a must for a loan out next season. League 2 I'd guess - maybe even League 1.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Ed Turns has played a full 90 minutes for the first team (League Cup against Swansea). Still only 19 though, so surely a must for a loan out next season. League 2 I'd guess - maybe even League 1.

Yep l saw that game, thought he acquiitted himself pretty well. My point is though, that with so much competition for places in his position, he is going to need to be pretty exceptional to make the breakthrough.

A full season's loan next year is vital l'd say.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

Which call?
I was responding to a question in post #6, asking which of these (the players named) are better than the others?
I have sought out games featuring our loan players if screened and have been watching U23 games when I can, it's my opinion on what I have seen, none of them would be pushing Burn out if he was still here, but as we have a vacancy and Duffy is coming into his last year of contract, and not likely to get a new one, I have picked 2 that I think GP will want to have a look at in preseason and have done well at Championship level. Ostigard was wanted in the squad this season but didn't want to risk not playing regularly so went on loan again, he picks up a lot of bookings, and made a tackle at Genoa recently by putting the guy in a headlock, Roberts and Dendonker are less proven at higher level mens football, both seem capable but need more experience in my opinion. Roberts I think is talented, and may prove to be the best of them all, but not yet.

As with any predictions, I could have it all horribly wrong, but it would be a bit quiet on here if no one gave an opinion now and then.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Which call?
I was responding to a question in post #6, asking which of these (the players named) are better than the others?
I have sought out games featuring our loan players if screened and have been watching U23 games when I can, it's my opinion on what I have seen, none of them would be pushing Burn out if he was still here, but as we have a vacancy and Duffy is coming into his last year of contract, and not likely to get a new one, I have picked 2 that I think GP will want to have a look at in preseason and have done well at Championship level. Ostigard was wanted in the squad this season but didn't want to risk not playing regularly so went on loan again, he picks up a lot of bookings, and made a tackle at Genoa recently by putting the guy in a headlock, Roberts and Dendonker are less proven at higher level mens football, both seem capable but need more experience in my opinion. Roberts I think is talented, and may prove to be the best of them all, but not yet.

As with any predictions, I could have it all horribly wrong, but it would be a bit quiet on here if no one gave an opinion now and then.

Indeed, especially the last paragraph. Do you really think Duffy won't be offered another year? I'm not so sure.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Indeed, especially the last paragraph. Do you really think Duffy won't be offered another year? I'm not so sure.

My guess is he will - we're pretty light in numbers in the CB department, and he would be isurance in case other options didn't work out as planned.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

I am not sure, but I think it more likely he will not get another contract at Brighton, just because we have lads coming through that I think will be ready by the end of next season, if not sooner.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I am not sure, but I think it more likely he will not get another contract at Brighton, just because we have lads coming through that I think will be ready by the end of next season, if not sooner.

Not so sure about that. IMHO, the most ready-to-go one would be Van Hecke - but the real long-term benefit with him (if Blackburn get promoted) would be to loan him to them to get him a year's PL exerience before joining us in 2023. Clarke doesn't seem as highly regarded by West Brom. fans as he was at Derby - he may be here to do a job next season, but there have been some suggestions that upper Championship may be his level - I don't think he's even been involved in a pre-season friendl with us.
From what little I've seen of Roberts and Dendoncker in the U23s, they haven't been outstanding. On the one occasion I watched Dendoncker with St. J. he looked a bit lost - mind you, the whole team looked pretty lost as Celtic handed them their arses on a plate. Bot are young - and need good loans, I think.
Ostigard - I just don't know. Bit of a wild card in more ways than one maybe, that lad! Coventry fans loved him and would have liked to keep him, so did Stoke fans - at first, but they seemed to cool off pretty fast.
All in all, I think we might need another year of Duffy standing by.

There again, like most, if not all on here, what do I know!

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Not so sure about that. IMHO, the most ready-to-go one would be Van Hecke - but the real long-term benefit with him (if Blackburn get promoted) would be to loan him to them to get him a year's PL exerience before joining us in 2023. Clarke doesn't seem as highly regarded by West Brom. fans as he was at Derby - he may be here to do a job next season, but there have been some suggestions that upper Championship may be his level - I don't think he's even been involved in a pre-season friendl with us.
From what little I've seen of Roberts and Dendoncker in the U23s, they haven't been outstanding. On the one occasion I watched Dendoncker with St. J. he looked a bit lost - mind you, the whole team looked pretty lost as Celtic handed them their arses on a plate. Bot are young - and need good loans, I think.
Ostigard - I just don't know. Bit of a wild card in more ways than one maybe, that lad! Coventry fans loved him and would have liked to keep him, so did Stoke fans - at first, but they seemed to cool off pretty fast.
All in all, I think we might need another year of Duffy standing by.

There again, like most, if not all on here, what do I know!

Matt Clarke played for us in a pre season friendly v Crawley in July 2019. Taylor Richards played in the same game too.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Matt Clarke played for us in a pre season friendly v Crawley in July 2019. Taylor Richards played in the same game too.

I stand corrected that Matt Cllarke played one friendly for us before heading out for three seasons on loan to the Championship. :thumbsup:

Doesn't negate my point though. Hasn't got near a game here since then, it seems. Hopefully young Richards will make his debut for Birmingham sometime on Saturday.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I stand corrected that Matt Cllarke played one friendly for us before heading out for three seasons on loan to the Championship. :thumbsup:

Doesn't negate my point though. Hasn't got near a game here since then, it seems. Hopefully young Richards will make his debut for Birmingham sometime on Saturday.

Wasn’t trying to correct you at all. You just asked the Q and I remember being at that friendly. Richards is still injured I think.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Wasn’t trying to correct you at all. You just asked the Q and I remember being at that friendly. Richards is still injured I think.

Fairy nuff - no prob. BTW, Richards was an unused sub on the bench on Saturday, so hopefully close to making his Birmingham City debut.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
thought this would be a thread about The Cult's She Sells Sanctuary

Anna Whirr
Anna Whirr tuns a rer
Anna Whirr, Anna Whirr (etc etc)

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
TURNS SIGNS NEW CONTRACT

Ed Turns has signed a new contract that runs until June 2025, with a club option for an extra year.

Technical director David Weir said, “We’ve been really pleased with the way Ed has continued to develop and that was reflected in both his inclusion in the first-team squad here last season, and the success of his time with Leyton Orient.”

The defender joined us as a 14-year-old, progressing through the youth ranks before making his full first team debut in a 2-0 win over Swansea City in the Carabao Cup in September 2021.

The 20-year-old spent the second half of last season on loan with Leyton Orient, as they finished top of League Two.

Ed has made two senior appearances for us, while he made 16 League Two appearances for Orient last season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here