Stevie Boy

Nov 2, 2004
Horam
Sad news. RIP Ed

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
There's a small number of people, maybe 20, without whom we might not have a football club.

Says it all. There are thousands of people who enjoy going to the Amex every week who probably don't even know this. RIP Ed, those people's lives are more fulfilling because of what you did.

D

Deleted member 2719

Sad news, I hadn't realised he was fighting cancer. Although I never met him to my knowledge, I always enjoyed his views on NSC and could feel his passion regarding our Albion.
My thoughts go out to his wife and close family.:(

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
There's a small number of people, maybe 20, without whom we might not have a football club. Ed is one. What he didn't know about public inquiries wasn't worth knowing when all the pre-Falmer nonsense was going on. Just seeing Easy 10's avatar reminded me of the "vehicle-bat collision" moment.

Ed did the hard and thankless miles at those wretched enquiries. In the previous incarnation of NSC he'd diligently write up every session, morning and afternoon. It was always dense intricate deeply-knowledgeable text, often reflecting the absurdity of the proceedings. The club would then duly reproduce Ed's write-ups in the next match programme. Not sure how possible it is, but if some kind of archive retrieval to NSC Gold is possible, IMHO it would be a fitting tribute for use by future Albion scholars.

Stephen Seagull

Oct 6, 2015
Barcelona
RIP lord B

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
Really sorry to hear this. During the Falmer planning applications, I always read LB reasoned and educated posts. RIP ED.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Very sad my condolences thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends.

I like many on here was well aware of Lord Bracknells calming influence a wise sage on NSC, I also knew of Ed Bassford and one or twice we exchanged pleasantries.

However upon hearing of the sad passing Ed Bassford and Lord Bracknell did I become aware that they were one and the same,

I cannot be the only person who was not aware of this and as such I can not be alone when I say it feels like the Albion family has lost not one but two of our great heroes from the dark days

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
True story...

It sounded better when Ed told the story rather than it being written down, so try and read this with Ed's voice in mind.

C&G Final 2006 - Sussex v Lancashire. It was the lunch session after Sussex had finished their innings, and we're all milling around the concourses. I saw Ed and we started chatting.

"I've just had a very peculiar encounter", he said, engimatically. "I've either met someone from NSC, or I've just pulled..."

"Why, what happened?"

"Well, I was standing in the urinals, going for a wee, when a total stranger sidled up to me as asked quite menacingly..." [adopts deep, plummy voice] "Are you Lord Bracknell - because I'm a Barrel of Fun.

"I couldn't get out of there quick enough..."

:laugh:

I never knowingly met him but was always warmed by his knowledge and sincerity on NSC. The sort of forum member that makes new folk want to stay and become part of things. RIP.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
545e49889fa31011d633be2d82261830.jpg

Always remember you Mister Ed, RIP.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Very sad on the eve of our season but he was there to see us get promoted. Had the lovely knack of always making you feel important and, although I only knew him from seeing him at matches, he always looked so pleased to see me and I'm sure he did that to so many. A Gentleman in every sense.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I'm on my way home after being at a friend's overnight, so only just found out. I'm sitting on a train remembering the vast amount of work that Ed did, for the club, for fans, for the planning permission, the council and the disabled. So many people who are grateful for his hard work. If there was a job to do, Ed was first in line to do it.
Love and thoughts to Roz & the family. We shall miss him greatly.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here