Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Economy Shrinks 20% in April

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
That's my point. Unemployment was low so we wren't burdened with huge social security cost and could bring in skilled labour from EU at the drop of a hat to help recovery, these people being net contributors to our economy and growing our domestic market for goods and services.. Now unemployment is the highest it's been for ages and will only get higher once furloughing ends and the winter starts. Where are the new jobs going to come from? Who will pay for the training required? Who will pay for the massive social security bill that will drain the life out of our economy?

People won't start spending again and going out until they think it's safe to do so. And they won't think it's safe to do so until they think there's a coherent strategy for dealing with this virus which, in my view, is sorely lacking. So, the much touted V-shaped recovery just isn't going to happen. It won't be an L-shape either, the question is which one it's closer to, and that in no small part depends on some display of competence from on high.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
while Germany has a more healthy economy, there is not so much health across the rest of the continent. most went into recession in Q1. it will be unfortunate for the Germans and few others who will once again prop up the the rest.

Germany had been teetering on the brink of recession before Covid more than any other major EU country and the UK (#despitebrexit). Not sure the German constitutional court will allow them to help prop up the EU any more.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Germany had been teetering on the brink of recession before Covid more than any other major EU country and the UK (#despitebrexit). Not sure the German constitutional court will allow them to help prop up the EU any more.

So who you do think will contract more this year, the UK or Germany?

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

I think the more pertinent question for JCFG is: so which do you think will contract more in 2021, the UK or Germany?
We could even :bounce: his answer on 1st Jan 2022. At least something will help with the sore head.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015

No idea. Going on the last few years I think we will have a similar experience to most other major economies in Europe which will be baffling to those who have been peddling an anti-Uk agenda where we are supposedly the worst at everything.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
No idea. Going on the last few years I think we will have a similar experience to most other major economies in Europe which will be baffling to those who have been peddling an anti-Uk agenda where we are supposedly the worst at everything.

Jesus Christ, the truth you're bringing is something else

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
A strong EU and a strong UK is beneficial for all of us?

“us” - I was talking from my perspective as I live in the EU.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Bless. I think we are doing okay, and will continue to do okay.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Jesus Christ, the truth you're bringing is something else

Prediction time then, where will the Uk economy sit compared to most other major European economies in Jan 2022 ... about par, near the bottom or nearer the top? Looking forward to the :bounce: in 2022. :thumbsup:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
A strong EU and a strong UK is beneficial for all of us?

“us” - I was talking from my perspective as I live in the EU.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Pretty sure Germany will always do OK but not so sure if their constitutional court will allow them to prop up the Eurozone much longer.

I think if would be financially daft to do so, as there are benefits.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I think the more pertinent question for JCFG is: so which do you think will contract more in 2021, the UK or Germany?
We could even :bounce: his answer on 1st Jan 2022. At least something will help with the sore head.

I didn’t ask about 2021 that would be just unfair, you can’t expect a country than imposes economic sanctions on itself to out perform one that doesn’t

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I didn’t ask about 2021 that would be just unfair, you can’t expect a country than imposes economic sanctions on itself to out perform one that doesn’t

It obviously means that if you believe frictionless trade with our biggest market will aid the UK’s economic recovery - you must hate the UK.

I know, I don’t get the logic either. :shrug:

stewart_weir

Mar 19, 2017
Radio 4 Today, and presumably other outlets will report this as a record figure, ‘eye watering’ etc. however, while I’m no friend of the government, this seems low given we shut the country down? What were we expecting, just 5 or 10%?

No one went out, no shops open initially for that month, hospitality/travel completely dead, many building sites closed (only to start reopen shortly after as guidance was given).

John Timpson of the Timpson shop chain said that we controlled that shutdown so for the first time in history, we’ve effectively controlled that drop. He made a bit of sense and said it’s not the April/May figures we need to be alarmed about, it will be recovery figures as restrictions ease that will be key indicators.

Personally, given the scale of the shutdown in April, 20% seems expected, maybe even low?

May will also be at least minus 10%. Brexit end of this year and the UK out on its own and not belonging to any trading group next year is going to be very very tough. If a 2nd virus wave also appears in the winter then I expect to see massive unemployment and a return to the UK being known as the poor man of Europe again.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
It obviously means that if you believe frictionless trade with our biggest market will aid the UK’s economic recovery - you must hate the UK.

I know, I don’t get the logic either. :shrug:

Hate the UK, that's the government who seem determined to break it up

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Prediction time then, where will the Uk economy sit compared to most other major European economies in Jan 2022 ... about par, near the bottom or nearer the top? Looking forward to the :bounce: in 2022. :thumbsup:

In the bottom half of that particular chart. I'll have a bet with you on that too. I'll think of an interesting organisation that you can donate the winnings to nearer the time :thumbsup:

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
May will also be at least minus 10%. Brexit end of this year and the UK out on its own and not belonging to any trading group next year is going to be very very tough. If a 2nd virus wave also appears in the winter then I expect to see massive unemployment and a return to the UK being known as the poor man of Europe again.

And this numbskull of a PM has got less than three weeks to call an extension ...

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
And this numbskull of a PM has got less than three weeks to call an extension ...

Gove alreay told the EU we won't be doing that. We've shut the door.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here