• No, No

Votes: 4 10.5%
  • Looney does chickens

Votes: 7 18.4%

• Total voters

alan partridge

Jul 7, 2003
Linton Travel Tavern
Quick poll (christ I'm turning into Looney)

what do the good burghers of NSC think about

a) British people moving abroad to make a living and/or buying up property where the weather's better

b) Foreign types moving to Britain to make a living

seems a fair few seem to think that having economic reasons for migrating is a bit out of ordaaaah

so if you think both are ok vote - yes, yes

ok for brits not for the foreigners - yes, no

brits should stay at home, its ok for foreigners to come here - no, yes

both should stay in their respective countries - no, no

I know its a simplistic poll, you can argue all you like about the different benefits/problems associated with either situation, i don't give a shit. I am just interested in whether you think it is 'morally' wrong to move to another country to try and make a living. ok?

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London
I don't mind anyone moving anywhere providing they work for a living and support themselves. Its the skivers who think they can live off of everyone else which annoy me (blimey that's controversial for this time of the morning - coat ready and engine revved if needed:lolol: )

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Well, theoretically I'm supposed to be moving abroad but it's not for ecconomical reasons. For one thing the weather isn't better there, too hot and humid. The reason for me moving that that the other person concerned (who's name and situation I cannot menton as it upsets the Rik Waller Fan Club) cannot move here becuase of other persons I cannot mention as it upsets the Rik Waller Fan Club.

One thing though, anybody who moves abroad (whatever the reason) to live has no right to vote in a British election as, by moving away it no longer concerns them.

As far as foreigners coming iin is concerned, as long as they make a valid contribution to British society (as the vast majority do) thenthey're welcome as far as I'm concerned.

Last edited:

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
There was an article in one of the papers the other day about how many vital jobs in this country are done by foreigners.

I'm sure no one has any problem with foreigners coming here to work that actually bring something positive to the country-but I suppose it could come to the stage where they are taking all the good jobs.

I get fed up with reading about paying benefts to foreigners. If they cannot support themselves here they should not be allowed to stay here.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
hmmm - this is a rather topical issue for moi at the moment - so I shall avoid becoming rather hot under the collar and simply say - whever you go - you should be able to support yourself without any claim on the country where you go to....you should be able to take work if you are the best person for the position....simple as...

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Yes, yes. I'm a sort of economic migrant (and sort of not as I'm still technically employed in Crawley) so it would be hypocritical of me to not say yes to both.

A lot of economic migrants in to the UK actually do the jobs no-one else wants, low paid, menial or dreadful hours or conditions. What never really gets mentioned in the papers is that there's been a fairly even stream of white, first world migration for years and a lot of good jobs in England are done by Aussies, Americans or Canadians for example. Since there is also a lot of migration the other way it seems to work out quite nicely for everyone.

I basically agree with Tedebear, freedom of movement, the ability to support yourself and getting a job on merit is the way to go.

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
I'm an economic migrant within England - I live in the Midlands. I'd rather live back in Sussex, but I could afford a house here.

All movement of people is relative - we just notice it more when it goes over national borders.

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
Nothing wrong at all in moving ,but i wouldnt expect to have someone support me if i moved to another area so why should i have to support someone ...If i went to say Australia there is no way i could go there and claim social benefit ..so why should people claim it here... Ive nothing against anyone coming who wants to work legal wise and pay taxes etc ..

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
ditchy said:
Nothing wrong at all in moving ,but i wouldnt expect to have someone support me if i moved to another area so why should i have to support someone ...If i went to say Australia there is no way i could go there and claim social benefit ..so why should people claim it here... Ive nothing against anyone coming who wants to work legal wise and pay taxes etc ..

good outlook there!! agree entirely

problem is - I work here, pay taxes, only been to the doctors twice in 4 1/2 years, never claimed any benefits and yet they won't let me stay indefinitely - and they are allowing people to stay in this country permanently who are claiming benefits (housing and other) - it really gets my goat!!

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I still find it far more galling that we allow fat, idle, slobs the opportunity to have 8 kids and let the state pick up the tab for absolutely everything such families need. Such as £70 a week for trips to the bingo. :censored: :censored: :censored:

I can understand where you're coming from tedebear (especially gien your circumstances) but you could easily argue that all developed countries have an obligation to take in a certain amount of refugees, regardless of their ability to work.

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
I think the whole culture of state benefits needs to be looked at ...why do we have to support so called spongers all the time...im all for giving state help but not indefinately and for a limited time .. then look at each case as it merits

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Simster said:
I can understand where you're coming from tedebear (especially gien your circumstances) but you could easily argue that all developed countries have an obligation to take in a certain amount of refugees, regardless of their ability to work.

totally agree Simster - I couldn't turn away anyone who has been persecuted in their own country...

My beef with the immigration department (may have told you this before) is that I have been in this country 4 1/2 years - same job, good money, self supporting, paying taxes and mortgage.....and by rights after 4 years in this country and being able to prove I can sustain myself they should grant me indefinite leave to remain - which means I can get a job closer to home (poss Brighton) and support my local community more!!

However the spanner got thrown in the works as mid way between the four years I had to change my work permit - so what they are saying is that I haven't served 4 years consistently on the one permit - so I need to work another 3 1/2 years on this new permit before they will consider giving me indefinite leave to remain.....meaning I have to stay with the one employer for the next 4 years - fat chance!!

It really smacks of paper shuffling and they took £160 off us for the pleasure of telling us this!! I haven't done anything wrong at all - and am being punished for it....:angry:

ditchy said:
I think the whole culture of state benefits needs to be looked at ...why do we have to support so called spongers all the time...im all for giving state help but not indefinately and for a limited time .. then look at each case as it merits

ooh, the confusion:

'so-called', and yet you seem to accept the label's validity; and, then, after all the catch-all rhetoric, it's 'each case as it merits'.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
If that BBC televisual programme broadcast some months ago is anything to go by, the majority in this country cannot find a reason worthy of allowing the persecuted into this country.

More people move out of Britain than move in each year, i believe.
So we oughtn't become over-crowded just yet.

President of the Rik Waller Fanclub.

ChutneyStirrer

Sep 14, 2003
tedebear said:
good outlook there!! agree entirely

problem is - I work here, pay taxes, only been to the doctors twice in 4 1/2 years, never claimed any benefits and yet they won't let me stay indefinitely - and they are allowing people to stay in this country permanently who are claiming benefits (housing and other) - it really gets my goat!!

Why did you have to change your work-permit half way through?

And, who are all these people who are allowed to stay and claim benefits?? I think you will find that they don't actually exist, except in the Sun/Daily Mail bullshite reality.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
ditchy said:

When they come here either work OR benefits is a better option than where they came.

If you want em surely you need to make sure theres enough room for em first?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports