Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] ECHR

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
This government wants to remove people's human rights. Totally absurd, we would become a pariah state like Russia

They are completely out of control. We need an emergency General election now, they have completely screwed this country and have to be removed. we can't have another year of this, they have completely lost the plot and very few people support their policies

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
We are British, someone will create a petition no doubt

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I can't see that happening. There are quite a number of Tories who would be horrified at the prospect. Not only would it put us on par with Russia and Belarus, it would also screw up the Good Friday Agreement and our Brexit deal. The more sensible members of the government know this

Bit late for that :lolol:

Randy McNob

Jun 13, 2020
who's proud to be British right now?

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Britain. The only country in the west where human rights are seen as a bad thing.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
If you want to bring back the vicar of Dibley, start a petition… if you want to change the world, write a song.
Nietzsche or Marx?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I can just imagine the level of intelligence and accuracy in the debates.

“But we voted to leave”

“The ECHR is a different entity that we helped set up”

“Yeah but……we voted to leave!”

Angry Looney Tunes GIF by Bombay Softwares

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

“But we voted to leave”

And there lies the issue - the next GE the Tories will highlight the word European without explaining that the ECHR and the EU are two entirely different entities. The only link being that to be an EU member you have to signed up to the ECHR charter.

Randy McNob

Jun 13, 2020

“But we voted to leave”

Same as when 5 Tory coucils went to court over ULEZ even though it's their governments policy

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
And there lies the issue - the next GE the Tories will highlight the word European without explaining that the ECHR and the EU are two entirely different entities. The only link being that to be an EU member you have to signed up to the ECHR charter.

I don't think that the current cabal 'not explaining the difference' is really the issue. After all, these are the same people who simply lied constantly during the last GE and the Referendum and won, so I wouldn't expect any different this time :shrug:

I think the issue is people believing it despite all evidence to the contrary, just like before. It appears that a few learn each time they get f***ed over, but hasn't recent polling showed approx 24% will still do the same again ? :dunce:

That's the real issue ???

*edit* And as @Hamilton pointed out above I don't believe this current cabal are representative of conservatism in Britain

Last edited:

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
No it isn't. It's Sadiq Khan's, the Labour Mayor of London.
It's a whole lot more nuanced than that. Nationally, the Conservatives support ULEZ. So much so that they made expansion of clean-air initiatives in London a requirement back in 2020 when they provided additional funding to support the TFL through Covid. Locally, the Conservatives use ULEZ as a convenient political weapon. And they've done a decent job of it, convincing wealthy Tesla-driving voters that ULEZ threatens them (when, in reality, it has exactly zero direct impact on them and a rather positive indirect impact in terms of cleaner air to breath).

Labour needs to do a far better job of educating London voters on the finer details of the ULEZ in order to counter the opportunistic politics that the local Conservative groups are pushing. And that includes doing a far better job of publicising how supportive the wider Conservative party is of ULEZ as a policy.

The Conservatives are perfectly happy for Khan to take the heat for a policy that they need to work (due to legally binding clean air / greenhouse emissions targets that they put in place). But make no mistake: ULEZ is also a Conservative policy and if they win the next Mayoral election in London, they won't change anything despite all the hot air they're expending on it currently.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
No it isn't. It's Sadiq Khan's, the Labour Mayor of London.
Boris Johnson as Mayor of London, introduced the ULEZ scheme. Sadiq Khan is Mayor of London now, but Grant Schapps is Minister for Transport, told Khan he had to extend the scheme or it would affect the funding from government for TFL (Transport for London)

Do you see how easy it is to deceive people?

Attachments

• IMG_0305.jpeg
    IMG_0305.jpeg
    153.7 KB · Views: 34

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here