Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ebola outbreak watch

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Confirmed case in Spain. Let's hope the spread is minimal.
The health authorities in Spain are already watching another THIRTY people who are thought to have been in contact with the Spanish nurse. She contracted the disease WITHIN Europe (Madrid) whilst treating a Spanish missionary.

I am hoping for a very cold winter.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Watching the news tonight and seeing how the Ebola victims' bodies are dealt with (burial) got me wondering why they aren't being cremated? Putting bodies with a highly contagious and deadly disease still present seems pretty damned dangerous to me.

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
Watching the news tonight and seeing how the Ebola victims' bodies are dealt with (burial) got me wondering why they aren't being cremated? Putting bodies with a highly contagious and deadly disease still present seems pretty damned dangerous to me.

I thought Ebola was passed via bodily fluids of some kind, which kinda rules dead people out. Maybe I am wrong?

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
I thought Ebola was passed via bodily fluids of some kind, which kinda rules dead people out. Maybe I am wrong?
You are right, it just seems safer to me to eliminate all traces of the virus.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
yes, this is the reality of the world: research cost money and only those avenues that are productive are followed. a large cost is created due to the regulation we insist on to stop dodgy drugs with adverse, unknown side effects. i wonder how it really would play out if there were hundreds of cases in the US, UK or elsewhere, they wouldn't have approval to use the drug so would be blocked from using it. its been used in effect as part of an experimental study. you can dress it up as being about the poor or race, but end of the day there has been enough cases to justify research either.

This is the reality of the world; Ebola was identified during the 1970s but there has been virtually no impetus behind research, testing, trials and vaccine production because, up until 2014, the relatively small number of people who have died are poor, indigenous African races. You can dress it up as lack of time but at the end of the day if this disease had occurred in the US or Europe for forty years then that would have been plenty enough reason to justify the large cost involved and the time required to find a cure.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Apparently they prepare dead bodies by hand, which would involve touching the body.
The Spanish case was a nurse in the same hospital as an Ebola patient.

Last edited:

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Investigations are under way at a hospital in Madrid after a Spanish nurse became the first person known to have contracted the deadly Ebola virus outside West Africa.

The nurse had treated two Spanish missionaries who died of the disease after being flown home from the region.

Three other people, including the nurse's husband, have been quarantined.

The European Commission has asked Spain to explain how the nurse could have become infected.

Some 3,400 people have died in the outbreak - mostly in West Africa.

In Sierra Leone, Ebola treatment centres are full and patients are being turned away, as Tulip Mazumdar reports

It is also unclear how she could have contracted Ebola.

The hospital was reported to have had extreme protective measures in place including two sets of overalls, gloves and goggles.

However, health workers told El Pais newspaper that the clothing did not have level-four biological security, which is fully waterproof and with independent breathing apparatus.

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
Investigations are under way at a hospital in Madrid after a Spanish nurse became the first person known to have contracted the deadly Ebola virus outside West Africa.

The nurse had treated two Spanish missionaries who died of the disease after being flown home from the region.

Three other people, including the nurse's husband, have been quarantined.

The European Commission has asked Spain to explain how the nurse could have become infected.

Some 3,400 people have died in the outbreak - mostly in West Africa.

In Sierra Leone, Ebola treatment centres are full and patients are being turned away, as Tulip Mazumdar reports

It is also unclear how she could have contracted Ebola.

The hospital was reported to have had extreme protective measures in place including two sets of overalls, gloves and goggles.

However, health workers told El Pais newspaper that the clothing did not have level-four biological security, which is fully waterproof and with independent breathing apparatus.

Hope our troops that are being sent to Sierra Leone are being issued with the right clothing/equipment.

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
The outbreak has killed more than 3,860 people, mainly in West Africa.

More than 200 health workers are among the victims.

Elsewhere:
◾Officials in France briefly seal off a building near Paris over suspected cases of Ebola - but the alert is later lifted
◾The UK is investigating reports a Briton suspected of having Ebola has died in Macedonia
◾Britain is to begin enhanced screening for Ebola in people travelling from affected countries, the government announces
◾The US is introducing new security measures to screen passengers arriving from Ebola-affected countries in West Africa at five major US airports
◾In Texas, a county sheriff deputy was quarantined after visiting the home of the first person diagnosed with Ebola on US soil, who later died from the virus

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Elsewhere:

◾In Texas, a county sheriff deputy was quarantined after visiting the home of the first person diagnosed with Ebola on US soil, who later died from the virus

Over the weekend, it was confirmed that a Dallas nurse who had treated Thomas Eric Duncan (who died a week ago) had contracted Ebola. The head of the CDC said that there was a breach in protocol - CDC chief on second Ebola case: There was a breach in protocol

Today, a second Dallas health worker who provided care to Duncan has been confirmed as having the virus. A number of Dallas nurses have claimed that there was NO protocol put in place when Duncan first entered the hospital - Dallas nurses describe Ebola hospital care: 'There was no protocol'. He was, apparently, allowed to sit for several hours with other patients before being isolated.

This second health worker took a flight on Monday, and the CDC wants to interview all 132 passengers on the flight - 2nd U.S. health worker with Ebola flew the day before symptoms

These health care workers will be comforted by [MENTION=7]Mustafa[/MENTION]'s confident assertions that they will survive (but, presumably, will now be very nervous whenever they are in the vicinity of a thunderstorm).

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The World Health Organisations forcast that at the current rate there would be "between 5,000 - 10,000 new cases of Ebola per week by the beginning of December" has me very worried. Who is ORDERING these bloody cases then, and where from ?

Is it too late to cancel ?

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Anybody who can work out a football accumulater should be starting to worry how many people this outbreak is going to affect.

Not even my acca's would think that a nurse who had treated an dying/dead infected man 5 days earlier (bearing in mind the 21 day incubation period) would think getting on a plane to potentially multiply it up x to 132 people was appropriate behaviour

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Not even my acca's would think that a nurse who had treated an dying/dead infected man 5 days earlier (bearing in mind the 21 day incubation period) would think getting on a plane to potentially multiply it up x to 132 people was appropriate behaviour

Your acca's [sic] obviously don't work for the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention - the nurse checked with them and reported her fever of 99.5 degrees, but they told her it was safe to fly as it was below the threshold of 100.3 - Reports: CDC approved Ebola-infected nurse's air travel

[TWEET]522533796147511296[/TWEET]

Of course, the head of the CDC stated yesterday that she should not have flown. :facepalm:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here