Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Easter services: will you be going to church, Christians?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
When at school in the early 50s I was a choirboy at St Matthews church in Worthing and Good Friday was speng from 10am untill about 2pm in church with a service that included The Crucifixtion by Stainer.

I have sung stainer' s crucifixion a few times. Quite sublimely beautiful piece of music and fecking difficult first tenor line!

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
No Church for me but being nailed to the cross isn't mythological and his crucifixion symbolises how cruel the human race can be. I don't blame him for Christianity and I respect him as a good bloke who died a horrible death and influenced the western year. Jesus is still relevant to atheists. :)

The Didache Bible is probably close to who Jesus was.

https://youtu.be/0CDaN-xhrKI

The Romans very rarely nailed people to crosses, they tied them. That may have been added to accounts later.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
No longer to be called Easter Eggs must be known as Chocolate Eggs as reference to Easter offends non christian religions.

Have the makers confirmed that as the reason ?

beardy gull

Jul 18, 2003
Portslade
I was not referring to that blog but the stories from many papers as I found on google. but yes oh high and mighty I am an idiot.

Clearly you we're not referring to that blog. The blog debunks all the stories (Daily Star) you found on google. Glad we agree about you being an idiot.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
We might not believe but I strongly emphasis to any people that religion has played a huge part in the history of people on earth and whether they believe in those religions or not they still play a huge part and one can not treat the beliefs of other people on earth with a callous "who cares?"

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
The Romans very rarely nailed people to crosses, they tied them. That may have been added to accounts later.

Surprisingly there is not much archaeological evidence of crucifixion and I guess that nails may not have always been available. There is a theory that the cross may have even been an "X", or there may have been many different methods used.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
As reported in the press this week. So perhaps anew idea superseding previous advertising etc.

Clearly you we're not referring to that blog. The blog debunks all the stories (Daily Star) you found on google. Glad we agree about you being an idiot.

I have bought Cadbury eggs for my grandchildren. It definitely says Easter on them. The Daily Star is not exactly renowned for it's truth and accuracy, but that hasn't stopped people spreading the stupidity on the internet, especially Facebook.

Cadbury would be the very last firm to deny East as the founders were Quakers.

Our church didn't have a service today, but we will be at the 9.30 service at Church of Christ the King, on Sunday morning.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
The simple answer is that if you nailed someone to any piece of wood their flesh might rip from the gravity and they could then fall and must be reattached.

I know, don't you just hate it when that happens?

We might not believe but I strongly emphasis to any people that religion has played a huge part in the history of people on earth and whether they believe in those religions or not they still play a huge part and one can not treat the beliefs of other people on earth with a callous "who cares?"

I can confirm I do not have a callous indifference to other people's religious beliefs especially the ones who want to kill me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here