East Stand Ejections - open apology

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

NCBHA

Jan 31, 2011
I thought 18,000 of us chanted 'wanker' at the ref at half time? Perhaps we'll all be getting banning orders.

My 9 year old daughter asked me what wanker meant at half time. I had an interesting 15 minutes trying to come up with a decent response! Failed big time!!

I am not a massive fan of bad language when there is no need but when you watch a match like we did Saturday it is hard to defend. I knew what to expect when buying my season ticket?

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands
I have sat in the family stand with my kids for 7 years and have never felt the need to swear...

...until saturday when I just lost it and was effing and blinding at the ref before realising it was inappropriate and stopped. Think the woman behind me would have complained had her 8 year old son not started chanting "Wanker, Wanker" at the ref!!

Btndc10

Sep 13, 2008
Am sure Gus said a few words as well! Will he be getting banned from the Amex also? Hopefully you wont get a ban. Nothing wrong with a bit of passion from the crowd and fair enough with the apology for those who took exception. Swearing happens at football. Whats the big deal?

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
By the sounds of it im near you if not right next to you in the East. There was a chap 2 or 3 rows back from us really giving it large who i'd never seen or rather heard before and im amazed whoever it was who pulled Glentana up didnt pull this guy up too because he would have heard him as well. Much respect for Glentana posting this thread today I think most people realised emotions ran incredibly high on Saturday and because of that hopefully a warning will be the outcome.

Ezmally, yeah, sounds like we are near each other. I was going to say earlier that I thought the loud guy was only 2-3 rows behind me, maybe he was and I didn't hear the guy 8-10 rows back. I actually thought in the pre-game and in the first 5 minutes that there seemed to be a few new people around, not the usual guys. There is no question, the guy in the hat was absolutely raging and looked more like he was up for a fight in a pub after 10 beers, so not sure whether that was the OP but as I said way OTT.

On this occassion, I feel that a warning is fine, unless, as someone else mentioned, it is the norm for this guy.

NorthStandN1A

Aug 1, 2011
Hove
you sound like a barrel of laughs mate - have you never, ever had a moment where you didn't quite reach your own peerless standards of perfection? ??? :flounce: :albion2:

yeah when i was about 10 years old. I sit in the north so I can call the ref a **** etc. but if i was sat in a family stand surrounded by kids I wouldn't do it knowing that if I did there would be consequences.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
My 9 year old daughter asked me what wanker meant at half time. I had an interesting 15 minutes trying to come up with a decent response! Failed big time!!

I am not a massive fan of bad language when there is no need but when you watch a match like we did Saturday it is hard to defend. I knew what to expect when buying my season ticket?

The ref's a banker, she's misheard. And no one likes a banker etc. Very easy to explain away

Seagulls4life

Jul 30, 2010
Brighton
I can understand why people felt the need to say things that were said on Saturday. The ref was that poor! Fair play to the OP for coming on here with the apology.

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
Sounds to me you'r all defending your inability to use the English language effectively. Or maybe some are just not educated to understand you can insult without coarse anglo saxo terminology.........chew on it!

:ohmy:

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
Its the way modern football is going. I think on Radio 5 last week they had a government minister on saying that they were going to eradicate all forms of chanting and singing and shouting at matches if any abuse was included.

You will not be allowed to shout or gesture at any player, official or away supporter with any thing that would cause offence. If you would not get away with it in the street you will not be allowed to get away with it in a sporting arena.

You might as well go to the cinema

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
Its the way modern football is going. I think on Radio 5 last week they had a government minister on saying that they were going to eradicate all forms of chanting and singing and shouting at matches if any abuse was included.

You will not be allowed to shout or gesture at any player, official or away supporter with any thing that would cause offence. If you would not get away with it in the street you will not be allowed to get away with it in a sporting arena.

You might as well go to the cinema

missing the point! Big Time
Passion is great, haranging the ref, officials, opposing players is all we want from BHA supporters but using the word C**T in front of children? What sort of adult are you? Do you not have kids? It's pathetic.

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
missing the point! Big Time
Passion is great, haranging the ref, officials, opposing players is all we want from BHA supporters but using the word C**T in front of children? What sort of adult are you? Do you not have kids? It's pathetic.

No I'm not missing the point - I don't think you should be swearing in the family stand, but my point is its going to be ALL stands and ALL forms of abuse so family stand or standing terraces you won't be allowed to chant anything other than GOSBTS or come on brighton etc

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
No one wants a sterile environment, no one wants a souless experience. Call the opposing forces anything you like, I just feel that to use base uneducated language in front of minors is irresponsible and indefensible. Unless of course you dont have children yet!

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
No one wants a sterile environment, no one wants a souless experience. Call the opposing forces anything you like, I just feel that to use base uneducated language in front of minors is irresponsible and indefensible. Unless of course you dont have children yet!

Well you are going to get a sterile environment whether you want one or not - only a matter of time.

Out of curiosity, at what age do you think it is acceptable for your children to hear base uneducated language and what stands would you allow it in?

turnstiler

Ex North Stand Turnstiler
Mar 6, 2009
Cologne, Germany
Surely at 'normal' games OTT swearing is just annoying for everyone, as would be a sterile stadium without any. I grew up hearing it at football, I've used it when no other words would do and sometimes I've sat and been compelled to say nothing. It's all about proportions. March 97 against Orient, almost everyone found swear words that day, on less emotional days far fewer. There will always be some who need them and others who detest them, there always has been. Saturday was more emotional than on previous occasions. I just hope common sense prevails as these days it seems less a part of our society unfortunately.

Now to a more interesting issue: OP, we're curious...were you the baldy or the chap with the wooly hat!? :)

Last edited:

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
Am sure Gus said a few words as well! Will he be getting banned from the Amex also? Hopefully you wont get a ban. Nothing wrong with a bit of passion from the crowd and fair enough with the apology for those who took exception. Swearing happens at football. Whats the big deal?

I think worse than that on just about every televised game you openly see players telling Refs and linesmen to F*** off and a lot worse, very rarely do you see a player reprimanded for bad language, yes it happens on the odd occasion!

glentana

glentana
Oct 6, 2010
hastings
Surely at 'normal' games OTT swearing is just annoying for everyone, as would be a sterile stadium without any. I grew up hearing it at football, I've used it when no other words would do and sometimes I've sat and been compelled to say nothing. It's all about proportions. March 97 against Orient, almost everyone found swear words that day, on less emotional days far fewer. There will always be some who need them and others who detest them, there always has been. Saturday was more emotional than on previous occasions. I just hope common sense prevails as these days it seems less a part of our society unfortunately.

Now to a more interesting issue: OP, we're curious...were you the baldy or the chap with the wooly hat!? :)
Well, the baldy as you decscribe me, although I'm not and for the record i never through a punch at anyone. It may have looked that way when I gestured to the chap in the floppy hat after he threatened me.
Also for the record, the East stand is a low tolerance stand i know but we are nowhere near the family section which is situated at the north end. Anyway, whilst I'm on, thanks for the support from some of you on here and for those others your comments have been duly noted.
There are some very 'holier than thou' people in the world today....I look forward to the stoning!!!!!

glentana

glentana
Oct 6, 2010
hastings
I have two very well behaved children thanks. and both doing very well.
My son has been going with me for 14yrs since the age of 3 and he knows how 'passionate' I can be, as he also knows how I can travel up and down the country and mix with any away fans with no trouble at all. Some are very good friends as I've been welcomed into their home ends on many occasions (that includes the likes of Millwall, WHU, Forest and Leeds). My son's Godfather is a Torquay fan and I missed the Forest game at home the other week as I was at a Wedding of a Coventry fan. On St George's day I share a table with Millwall, Charlton, Chelsea and for my sins a Palace fan.
My point? These people give me less grief than some of my own 'comrades', fans with passion who vent their angers and frustrations through verbals in a football ground, not by offering their fists to their 'fellow suppoorters' and I am welcome because of the way I conduct myself and are not easily offended by colourful language.

As for loyalty and comradeship, some adult clever-dick confronted my son on his return to the stand on Saturday and said he would have been embarrassed if I was his dad. What was this cowardly person trying to achieve?
My son's response was " I would have been embarrassed if my dad threatened another BHA fan".
As he is studying law, he was able to distinguish between my verbal outburst in anger (whether acceptable or not) and common assault of which the other chap was guilty of.
'Sit down shut up' I think the phrase goes, or is that controversial also?

Merry Christmas Mr. Rivet and make sure you put my ban on your list to Santa

ps I hope that halo doesn't slip and blind you even further.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports