e-cash - good or bad, useful or useless

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Why would the till operator be more likely to make such a mistake on an e-cash payment, as on a debit card payment?

It's not more likely to make a mistake, it is more to do with my ability to intercept a mistake. With e-cash I hand the till operator my smartcard and they return with the card and a receipt for the transaction; no chance for me to check anything before the charge is made. I get to check and possibly query the amount before I authorise the transaction/enter my pin with my debit card.

Mileoakman

Aug 11, 2003
The name gives it away
Is cash back still in operation? Didn't seem to work on my card last night when i purchased some food and drinks, balance stayed the same.

I agree that nothing seems to appear on the receipt any-more regarding cash back but I've just checked online and all the discounts are showing as having come through. Mind you I seemed to have got the standard 10% reduction even though I purchased well before kick off, half time and after the match as well so that didn't seem to work for me.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
What happens if you put £20 on your card which I did pre-match and when you go to buy something they tell you there is no money in the account ?

This happened to me yesterday, who do I ask - the club ?

16 bit 44.1

May 17, 2011
Hove
are they still knocking around? I doubt they will ever be in common use, but I guess time will tell.

They are most definitely in common use. Google "Silk Road" if you are not familiar. Interesting reading - there is a rather informative Guardian article. :)

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
They are most definitely in common use. Google "Silk Road" if you are not familiar. Interesting reading - there is a rather informative Guardian article. :)

Definitely in common (public) use in Berlin. A handful of cafes and bars accept them plus, rather interestingly, the Rollberg Brewery pays their keg maker in them. Personally, I can see Bitcoin taking off if the current steady progress is anything to go by.

Going off on a slightly related topic I have started using peer-2-peer foreign exchange recently. A very efficient way of exchanging money at rates which are much more competitive than the banks this system does away with.

Last edited:

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
My first purchase last night had no ecash-back, i asked why, so they gave it to me in coins. Second purchase, my receipt told me I had earned 4 loyalty points, I've not heard of them. Third purchase, again, no ecash-back on the receipt. Then again the staff last night were quite simply the poorest we've had in the entire time at the Amex, perhaps they hadn't had the ecash training yet.

Technically ... it's incredibly easy to sign up and top up. And the discount is well worth having.

Practically ... it's bloody expensive. I may have to be more resistant to the requests that come my way from "stony-broke" / "not been to the bank" family members sitting next to me, when they ask to "borrow" my card five minutes before half-time. AND I'm supposed to thank them for the refreshments "they" buy me.

Hey hum.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports