Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Dunk’s return:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
The point I am making is we have seen before there is a pecking order in defence based on the overall quality of the player and that when the more senior player returns the in form player still makes way.

Dunk is our captain and alongside Webster the first two names on the team sheet for central defenders when both fit. The idea Potter will keep Dunk on the sidelines when fit for Dan Burn or Veltman is just crazy talk

I don’t think Potter does pecking orders. Form and formation over everything.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Just glad he's back in the fold, as a squad we're so much better with Dunk in that squad, Potter has managed to transform relatively cheap as chips players into players that can compete with the best players in the world.

Add up our back 5 in cash terms v any other back 5 in the EPL and I'd wager ours cost a lot less than the majority of the other squads.

Welcome back Dunky.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004

So Lallana won’t come back in for Alzate?

You think our club captain will be sidelined for Dan Burn or Veltman?

Potter picks the senior players always has done unless you can recall an example when tactically or through form Dunk has been left on the bench?

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011

Potter picks the senior players always has done unless you can recall an example when tactically or through form Dunk has been left on the bench?

Different scenario that.
If Lallana was out for six weeks, during which time,we played better than we had with him in the team and Alzate had been a key part of that success, then I think there would be far more chance of Alzate keeping his place.
Purely because he is the future and Lallana is here to help develop our young players, just as much as he is here to win matches.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
I think Dunk is our best defender and will come in at first fair opportunity

This will either be a formation with 3 at the back or he will get a run out v Spurs.

If he plays well in that then he keeps his place

Good position to be in as the current defenders know that they cant make any mistakes

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

This. My first thought when reading the post to which you reply. I actually guffawed. :thumbsup:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Different scenario that.
If Lallana was out for six weeks, during which time,we played better than we had with him in the team and Alzate had been a key part of that success, then I think there would be far more chance of Alzate keeping his place.
Purely because he is the future and Lallana is here to help develop our young players, just as much as he is here to win matches.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
A couple of years ago it was almost unthinkable that our CB partnership of Dunk'n'Duffy would be changed. Sometimes the unthinkable happens. I've no idea how or when Dunk will be re-introduced - maybe there'll be more rotating of the back 2/3 going forward?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
A couple of years ago it was almost unthinkable that our CB partnership of Dunk'n'Duffy would be changed. Sometimes the unthinkable happens. I've no idea how or when Dunk will be re-introduced - maybe there'll be more rotating of the back 2/3 going forward?

Exactly - gives GP more options which he’s not really had all season due to various injuries. ‘Guess the lineup’ will become even more difficult :lolol:

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
My personal view is that 4 of the best 5 centre backs the club has ever had are at the club now.

The difference between Dunk, Webby and Burn on form is paper thin. I think we have to find a way of playing them all when they're fit.

I imagine Veltman will end up being the casualty, but this is incredibly unfair on a man who's consistency has been brilliant.

I'm not a fan of Burn at LB, but I could be persuaded on Webby at Right Back. So a back line of

Webster Dunk Burn Cucurella

Lamptey in the forward line in a 4-3-3

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021
Whose your other centre back in the top 5 ever? Lawrence?
As regards Veltman, I don't think he should be dropped. I also suspect Dunk, when fit will be eased back in, a couple of games on the bench etc.
By then, I am sure we will have an injury or suspension for him to slot back into the side.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
As regards Veltman, I don't think he should be dropped. I also suspect Dunk, when fit will be eased back in, a couple of games on the bench etc.
By then, I am sure we will have an injury or suspension for him to slot back into the side.

Steve Foster or Mark Lawrenson perhaps?

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Not a bad shout, however, he did used to overun the ball a lot when he went on a surge. It seems he may have actually improved on that so maybe a potential def mid in the making

Webster's tendency imo was more that he pushed the ball too far ahead of him as he galloped faster upfield and ended up in a 50/50 tackle. This season, as wonderfully demonstrated by that run against Chelsea, he seems to keep better control of the ball.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
My personal view is that 4 of the best 5 centre backs the club has ever had are at the club now.

The difference between Dunk, Webby and Burn on form is paper thin. I think we have to find a way of playing them all when they're fit.

I imagine Veltman will end up being the casualty, but this is incredibly unfair on a man who's consistency has been brilliant.

I'm not a fan of Burn at LB, but I could be persuaded on Webby at Right Back. So a back line of

Webster Dunk Burn Cucurella

Lamptey in the forward line in a 4-3-3

Lawrenson is the best we've ever had. Fossie and Gary Stevens were both England internationals. England never conceded a goal during Foster's England career. That's a very big call.

Doug Rougvie is not in the conversation.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021

Yeh mate. Lawrenson is in my list of top 5 ever CB's from the club, but apart from that it's made up of Webby, Dunky, Burn and Big Shane. If Veltman spent much more time at CB, i'd thinking of him as well.

Foster and Cullip were inspirational, but mostly not at this level. Upson and White terrific, but we had them at both ends of their career. But i'm taking the 4 we got now and putting them above all the others.

Absolutely incredible options we have at the back now.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Webster's tendency imo was more that he pushed the ball too far ahead of him as he galloped faster upfield and ended up in a 50/50 tackle. This season, as wonderfully demonstrated by that run against Chelsea, he seems to keep better control of the ball.

Indeed, shame the final touch was neither a cross nor shot.
Could have been a goal of the season contender.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Lawrenson is the best we've ever had. Fossie and Gary Stevens were both England internationals. England never conceded a goal during Foster's England career. That's a very big call.

Doug Rougvie is not in the conversation.

Big call but i've seen enough this season to be convinced by it.

Full disclosure I was pretty young when we had Lawro, so going mostly by reputation, but I saw the others. Fozzie I loved, but surely not in the class of what we have now.

Anyway, I suppose it's another debate entirely to the one in this thread. I suppose i'm just trying to justify my opinion, that with a heavy heart Veltman probably comes out of the team when Dunky is fit, by putting it into context that it would be for a player of incredible quality

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Big call but i've seen enough this season to be convinced by it.

Full disclosure I was pretty young when we had Lawro, so going mostly by reputation, but I saw the others. Fozzie I loved, but surely not in the class of what we have now.

Anyway, I suppose it's another debate entirely to the one in this thread. I suppose i'm just trying to justify my opinion, that with a heavy heart Veltman probably comes out of the team when Dunky is fit, by putting it into context that it would be for a player of incredible quality

Fossie was very composed with the ball at his feet. He started as a centre forward at Portsmouth until Ian St John moved him to centre back.. He could bring the ball out of defence and was a good passer, not just a superb defensive header of the ball. I love Duffy and Burn but I couldn't put them above Foster. He also had his own nightclub and was once kicked out of Sloopy's for pissing on the dancefloor. Duffy and Burn will have to up their game a bit to match that (although Duffy gave it a good go up in Glasgow).

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull

Yeah thats what I meant but you have a better command of the English language than wot I do:D

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here