Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Dunk, Welbeck and Webster on 55 man England long list

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Big chat about this on 5live Monday night football and Michah Richards I thought was spot on. With the squads expanded to 26 why doesn't he take the extra striker. Rather than more defenders.

HK is def, probably Rashford too but on form why not take both Wilson and Toney. Both got good pens in them, both offer something different, why not an extra attacker for the reasons you highlight? Sterling is in shite form too.

From about 27mins. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m001dql5
I agree, but its just not in Southgates makeup. He is a cautious manager, and will always pick defensive options over attacking.

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
Can already see the calls to drop Raheem Sterling which is to be expected. I wonder if Southgate will do what Terry Venables did? He assured Alan Shearer that he would be playing despite what the press were saying. Shearer later said it did wonders for his confidence and he played well from memory.

Popeye

I Don't Exercise
Nov 12, 2021
North Carolina USA
Will be quite hard for them to make the final squad, but fantastic news for the dudes never the less and I know they will represent the Albion well.(y)

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
In recent times I felt Dunk wasn’t quite up to international standard, but now he’s in the form of his career. So intelligent, he masterfully organises our defence, he covers the mistakes of eg Webster and he seems to have cut out his own errors such as diving in up field.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Can already see the calls to drop Raheem Sterling which is to be expected. I wonder if Southgate will do what Terry Venables did? He assured Alan Shearer that he would be playing despite what the press were saying. Shearer later said it did wonders for his confidence and he played well from memory.
Sterling is absolutely going to be in the squad... whether he should be a starter is a very different question. He's not Alan Shearer and not worthy of a promise like that.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Ruben Loftus-Cheek in as well. No surprise there as he was awesome at the weekend. Well in waistcoatwanker terms he was.

TugWilson

I gotta admit that I`m a little bit confused
Dec 8, 2020
Dorset
Shithead ,sorry bucktoothed bugs bunny stand-in , sorry braindead cant manage Middlesborough but can and is willing to kiss the FAs arse southgate , knows full well Dunk is the man to take , but he would rather see England fail than play a BHAFC player such as Lewis and Solly . Danny is probably just mentioned so he can argue that he explored every option .

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
In recent times I felt Dunk wasn’t quite up to international standard, but now he’s in the form of his career. So intelligent, he masterfully organises our defence, he covers the mistakes of eg Webster and he seems to have cut out his own errors such as diving in up field.
I know what you mean and am aware I have blue tinted glasses on but ask yourself, who is actually better than him?

There are two pairs of CBs playing together, week in, week out, in the Premier League. Dunk and Webster is one and Coady and Tarkowski is the other. Anyone with a grain of sense would take these over part time players and right backs.

Personally think Coady and Tarkowski should play with Pickford.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I know what you mean and am aware I have blue tinted glasses on but ask yourself, who is actually better than him?

There are two pairs of CBs playing together, week in, week out, in the Premier League. Dunk and Webster is one and Coady and Tarkowski is the other. Anyone with a grain of sense would take these over part time players and right backs.

When I felt wasn’t quite up to the level, I was certain that Mings and Keane weren’t worthy of caps.

Coady was a great defender and excellent organiser of a mean Wolves defence for several seasons, cool with the ball, underrated. I also agree about Tarkowski, he’s such a good defender, annoyingly effective.

I think Webster’s game has dropped, against Forest he sold himself several times …. saved by Dunk or incredibly poor forwards.

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
Obviously I suggested Coady and Tarkowski because they play every week with Pickford. I never understood why England never played the Arsenal back five back in the day. Can only assume it had something to do with Venables couldn’t bring himself to do it! Strange though.

TugWilson

I gotta admit that I`m a little bit confused
Dec 8, 2020
Dorset
Obviously I suggested Coady and Tarkowski because they play every week with Pickford. I never understood why England never played the Arsenal back five back in the day. Can only assume it had something to do with Venables couldn’t bring himself to do it! Strange though.
Tarkowski would almost certainly give a pen away , especially with European Refs .

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Big chat about this on 5live Monday night football and Michah Richards I thought was spot on. With the squads expanded to 26 why doesn't he take the extra striker. Rather than more defenders.

HK is def, probably Rashford too but on form why not take both Wilson and Toney. Both got good pens in them, both offer something different, why not an extra attacker for the reasons you highlight? Sterling is in shite form too.

From about 27mins. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m001dql5
Micah does have decent views...if only I didn't find that program so hard to listen to!!😂

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Pretty sure exactly the same happened prior to the Euros, and Sterling was then arguably our best player.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Coady and Tarkowski would be fine by me, with White at RCB (his best position, IMHO, and as a RCB he is the best in England).

Last edited:

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Pretty sure exactly the same happened prior to the Euros, and Sterling was then arguably our best player.

He’s fine, the issue is Southgate doesn’t play a system that gets the best out of him and Kane, at times it’s those two v the entire defence.

There’s no creativity in the middle

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here