Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dunk to join Fulham this week?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Dunk is a very good cb, but 7 million is a lot of money. If you follow your head it would say sell, as long as the money is reinvested in the team. We could get a replacement cb and a good winger for that. Rea and dallison are coming through as well.

Where has 7 million come from?

Rod Marsh

Aug 9, 2013
Sussex
Any offer of 5m+ from a prem team and we should sell and I'd wish him well. It would be a fantastic opportunity for him. He'd end up resenting the club if we turned the bid down. It also encourages young talented players to come to the here. I don't like selling our best players as much as anyone else. Sometimes it's the right thing to do.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
I wrote last night that we would need two players if we sold him and that the timing was bad. That said, if and it is a big if, someone offered £7m I would take that. While it would not help in the short term, we could buy three decent championship quality players for that money...

I really cannot see anyone coming up with £7m for Dunk though.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
It would be really DIM to sell to Fulham just before our match with them.

Wait until next week if he really must go there.

Quinney

Aug 3, 2009
Hastings
I'd like to think he'll stay for this season and then make a move if we don't go up. Fulham would be a side ways move, if he goes to the Prem now he'll more than likely be on the bench not playing regular football. He's got plenty of time to earn stupid money from the game.

albionite

May 20, 2009
It would be really DIM to sell to Fulham just before our match with them.

Wait until next week if he really must go there.

I reckon it would be pretty dim to sell to Fulham full stop. You only have to read their forums how happy they would be to get dunk even at £5m plus.

I don't think it would be that easy to replace him either as others have suggested if so why are Fulham not chasing them?

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
One full season in the Championship and he was basically our POTS (even though I love Calde). Only 23, Brighton lad and with 80+ appearances for the club. Great game on Friday night. WHY is anyone even considering saying it's a good idea to sell him? Very very difficult to replace good players and Dunk is one of our most promising, especially when the skipper is well the wrong side of 30. And let's not forget, bloody Bournemouth have TWO ex-Albion centre halves playing in the PL. Keep Dunk and build the entire thing around him and Kayal.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
What's the point in continually debating this?
We don't want to sell to Fulham and only will if they throw an amount we can't refuse. Which they haven't.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
One full season in the Championship and he was basically our POTS (even though I love Calde). Only 23, Brighton lad and with 80+ appearances for the club. Great game on Friday night. WHY is anyone even considering saying it's a good idea to sell him? Very very difficult to replace good players and Dunk is one of our most promising, especially when the skipper is well the wrong side of 30. And let's not forget, bloody Bournemouth have TWO ex-Albion centre halves playing in the PL. Keep Dunk and build the entire thing around him and Kayal.

Is the CORRECT answer...

It's not like we've been spending loads and have nothing left in our budget for the season either...

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Those that make the case for selling him seem to be suggesting we can use the money elsewhere, i.e if we get £5m we can invest £2m in a winger and £3m in a centre half.

When have we ever reinvested all the money we have received from selling a player.

Certainly not recently. We still haven't spent the Ullua, Buckley and Bridcutt money and I doubt we have any intention of doing so.

Withdean11

Feb 18, 2007
Brighton/Hyde
Dele Alli, a better and younger player with more potential, went to Tottenham (who are a bigger club than Fulham/Newcastle) for £5m. That makes £5m for Dunk sound like a very good price for us. As i've said before, i'd rather us sell now and have time to get a replacement that selling for slightly more on deadline day.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Dele Alli, a better and younger player with more potential, went to Tottenham (who are a bigger club than Fulham/Newcastle) for £5m. That makes £5m for Dunk sound like a very good price for us. .

DA had six months left on his contract, and MK Dons took the money rather than take the risk of a tribunal's findings. Dunk has a very long contract.

I'm not sure you fully understand the economics involved.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Those that make the case for selling him seem to be suggesting we can use the money elsewhere, i.e if we get £5m we can invest £2m in a winger and £3m in a centre half.

When have we ever reinvested all the money we have received from selling a player.

Certainly not recently. We still haven't spent the Ullua, Buckley and Bridcutt money and I doubt we have any intention of doing so.

Without going into specifics it is, as ever, not just about transfer fees. Example:

1. Sell Dunk on, say, £6k/week for £5m. Effect on playing budget over 3 years = +£5.94m
2. Buy a winger for £1.5m on, say £12k/week. Effect on playing budget over 3 years = -£3.37m
3. Buy a CB for £1m on, say, £10k/week. Effect on playing budget over 3 years = -£2.56m

People would complain that only half the money had been reinvested when, in fact, the club is pretty much level overall.

madinthehead

I have changed this
Jan 22, 2009
Oberursel, Germany
Without going into specifics it is, as ever, not just about transfer fees. Example:

1. Sell Dunk on, say, £6k/week for £5m. Effect on playing budget over 3 years = +£5.94m
2. Buy a winger for £1.5m on, say £12k/week. Effect on playing budget over 3 years = -£3.37m
3. Buy a CB for £1m on, say, £10k/week. Effect on playing budget over 3 years = -£2.56m

People would complain that only half the money had been reinvested when, in fact, the club is pretty much level overall.

That is not including any signing fees.. etc.. So we would still make a loss there..

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005

I understand that, although do you really believe that the full value of any transfer of Dunk would be reinvested. Arguably if we sell a centre half for £5million whatever we replace him on should be on less money? I guess an older pro might not be. Be even so, it is hard to believe the full £5million would be used on a combination of transfer fee and increased budget for wages.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005

I also think your numbers are relatively unrealistic. Is Dunk really only on £6k per week? I know this is only an illustration, but I suspect he is on more than that, and I doubt you can get as good a centre half for £10k per week.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here