Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Dunk - straight red?

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Otherwise it's quite strange to see Mitoma on three already, don't really remember how he got them. Talking? Diving? Tackle?
The bookings against West Ham and Villa were for fouls according to the match day timelines on Sky Sports. The Luton timeline just says Mitoma is shown a yellow card, doesn’t say why.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
These points are accepted, but it really isn't clear which one it is though.

Taylor does not control the situation.
He just allows the situation to escalate.

As much a poor performance by Taylor as ill-discipline from Dunk.
Whilst we do not know which one of the two it was, or maybe it was both, the RRA encrouchment is clear and pretty objective I'd say. Dissent is clear to me as well, but obviously more subjective to the recipient. Take your pick.

Whilst his overall performance is questionable, with respect to this particular incident, I'm not sure what more Taylor could do. Even after the red Dunk was still arguing and not leaving the pitch when clearly and visibly asked to.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
We forget that NSC is public. Posts from this board have appeared in the press before now. Bozza has also said, he’s had legal threats, and threats to his family from other posts here.
The moderators are right to warn posters of their content, or refusal to take notice of warnings, imo.
Yes, indeed, although this has uncovered a potential issue with warnings since we migrated on to the new board. We're discussing.

Either way a) don't post stuff that you wouldn't be happy defending in a court of law and b) don't crack on when presented with screen shot evidence.

That is all.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I was driving down to Brighton yesterday to repair my daughters lights listing to the Spurs/Villa game the commentator says well it’s gone to VAR although who knows if they will come back with the correct decision.
And that ladies and gentlemen is the state of the officiating in the most watched league in the world.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I love Lewis Dunk but this was a disappointing error. However inconsistent refs can be (eg: Ashley Young incident) - it doesn't justify what Lewis did. The penalty was pretty routine , hardly controversial , and going down to 10 men and being suspended for 2 or 3 matches given our injury crisis is bad judgement - however frustrated he was.
And much as i love RDZ then you reap what you sow. His leadership hardly inspires respect for referees or matchday officials.
(and its not great for all of the grassroots coaches, volunteers , refs on here either trying to hold the line and prevent abuse on a Sunday morning either)
Well put

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
I was driving down to Brighton yesterday to repair my daughters lights listing to the Spurs/Villa game the commentator says well it’s gone to VAR although who knows if they will come back with the correct decision.
And that ladies and gentlemen is the state of the officiating in the most watched league in the world.
Yes. Exactly why it's obviously incompetence rather than corruption.

I'm still very much in the 'Dunk's a silly boy and deserved it' camp regarding Saturday, but in terms of what's now given and when and how VAR intervenes, it's a total lottery. Also, every referee who is called to the screen just reverses their decision. They might as well let VAR make it and save us all five minutes that might be the difference between away fans making a train home and not. It's utterly pointless if you're going to stare at the screen forever when everyone knows you'll change your mind. It's just allowing the on field officials to save face.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
I love Lewis Dunk but this was a disappointing error. However inconsistent refs can be (eg: Ashley Young incident) - it doesn't justify what Lewis did. The penalty was pretty routine , hardly controversial , and going down to 10 men and being suspended for 2 or 3 matches given our injury crisis is bad judgement - however frustrated he was.
And much as i love RDZ then you reap what you sow. His leadership hardly inspires respect for referees or matchday officials.
(and its not great for all of the grassroots coaches, volunteers , refs on here either trying to hold the line and prevent abuse on a Sunday morning either)
Bang on. Been saying it for a while.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Whilst we do not know which one of the two it was, or maybe it was both, the RRA encrouchment is clear and pretty objective I'd say. Dissent is clear to me as well, but obviously more subjective to the recipient. Take your pick.

Whilst his overall performance is questionable, with respect to this particular incident, I'm not sure what more Taylor could do. Even after the red Dunk was still arguing and not leaving the pitch when clearly and visibly asked to.
The issue is that we have such a low expectation from refs.
"Take your pick" shouldn't be the best option available to us, from the number 1 ref in the division.

We are happy to chastise players for reacting to increasingly erratic decisions, but not expecting any kind of clarity from officials.
The fact that no-one was sure what the yellow was given for, or even whether two yellows or a straight red had been issued, isn't really good enough.

Dunk will take his punishment and learn from it..
There is no expectation for Taylor to do the same.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham

I'm still very much in the 'Dunk's a silly boy and deserved it' camp regarding Saturday, but in terms of what's now given and when and how VAR intervenes, it's a total lottery. Also, every referee who is called to the screen just reverses their decision. They might as well let VAR make it and save us all five minutes that might be the difference between away fans making a train home and not. It's utterly pointless if you're going to stare at the screen forever when everyone knows you'll change your mind. It's just allowing the on field officials to save face.
If I was Cooper I would have said to my players hang on to a Brighton player in the box and go down they will probably have to give us a pen. I don’t understand the need to even things up in the PL still we see it happen often enough. The ref at Ajax away was a breath of fresh air kept up with play and made it clear he wasn’t having any nonsense.
I have a feeling Taylor wanted to stick to his initial decision he didn’t look confident awarding the pen and that probably is what made it unravel in the aftermath. The players (Dunk) may have sensed it.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
If I was Cooper I would have said to my players hang on to a Brighton player in the box and go down they will probably have to give us a pen. I don’t understand the need to even things up in the PL still we see it happen often enough. The ref at Ajax away was a breath of fresh air kept up with play and made it clear he wasn’t having any nonsense.
I have a feeling Taylor wanted to stick to his initial decision he didn’t look confident awarding the pen and that probably is what made it unravel in the aftermath. The players (Dunk) may have sensed it.
With you on Ajax. That ref was superb, easily the best this season.

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon

Agree. And this is how it was originally, but the idiot pea-brained commentators and pundits who are incapable of thinking these things through, winged and moaned until it gained widespread support, to have the ref trot pointlessly over to the monitor wasting everyone's time.

Neil

Eastie
Aug 27, 2010
Langney
This and last season we have had players hounding the ref in numbers ie. Man Utd Arsenal to name a few and the clubs were fined which does absolutely nothing .
One person who is the captain who is entitled to ask the ref about a decision gets a sent off quite rightly but the team is penalised more

Dibdab

Sep 28, 2021

Agree. Stupid to blame Taylor. The pen was given. It is then never going to be overturned. Bitching off and getting yourself two cards within 15 seconds is not just pointless its unforgivable.

Dibdab

Sep 28, 2021
This and last season we have had players hounding the ref in numbers ie. Man Utd Arsenal to name a few and the clubs were fined which does absolutely nothing .
One person who is the captain who is entitled to ask the ref about a decision gets a sent off quite rightly but the team is penalised more
Entitled to abuse the ref straight after getting a warning?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here