Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Dunk ‘handball’

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
What about the other hand ball towards the end, might not have been in the penalty area but look a clear one and most of the Ns shouted hand ball

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
Dunk was falling to the ground so am was in a natural position plus the ball hit his back and then elbow. No penalty.
Although I thought Pedro's was soft at first, if the Luton player had stayed on his feet it would have been fine but he didn't and brought Pedro down with him. Penalty.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Dunk, like a lot of defenders, was caught by the Catch 22 of a poor law change. The rule says it's handball if a player:
  • touches the ball with their hand/arm when it has made their body unnaturally bigger. A player is considered to have made their body unnaturally bigger when the position of their hand/arm is not a consequence of, or justifiable by, the player’s body movement for that specific situation. By having their hand/arm in such a position, the player takes a risk of their hand/arm being hit by the ball and being penalised.
As the rule makes it the defender's responsibility to keep his hands out of the way, Dunk slid into the block with his hands raised to keep them out of the way. The ball deflected off his back up into his arm. The arm that was only in this unnatural position because he was trying to avoid being penalised by this stupidly framed law.

East London Exile

Jan 13, 2013
London
I’m less bothered about inconsistency across different games as long as the ref is consistent over 90 mins. Yesterday we got a soft pen and that was cancelled out by their soft pen, so no real complaints.
Consistency over 90 mins would be a good starting point but, with a professional refereeing body overseeing all games, consistency across different games should be expected. Players will train to the laws of the game and the guidance given by the organising bodies. To have something permitted by one referee one week and denied by a different referee the next makes it difficult for how they play the game.

SteveU

May 31, 2022
Different game but I can’t believe Martinez for Villa didn’t get a red card for running out of his area and deliberately pulling a player down who was going past him and very likely to score.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Different game but I can’t believe Martinez for Villa didn’t get a red card for running out of his area and deliberately pulling a player down who was going past him and very likely to score.
Yup, that was absurd. About as blatant and cynical as it's possible to get

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
It was right on the touchline. Thought that was from being a clear goalscoring opportunity with other players racing back.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
He was way out by the touchline and there was at least one defender nearer the goal. It's not a red card offense, although it's Martinez and, therefore, he should have been red carded.

SteveU

May 31, 2022
He was way out by the touchline and there was at least one defender nearer the goal. It's not a red card offense, although it's Martinez and, therefore, he should have been red carded.

A professional foul is a red card no?

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
VAR remains clueless if you look at Brentford's penalty today. The referee quite correctly waives the penalty away although you do wonder how well he sees it. However, VAR has a look and overturns the referee and gives it. Unfortunately, the VAR just seems to focus on whether there was contact and there clearly is. What it misses is that after the 'Gross turn ' and the contact there's a big delay and in a totally separate movement the Brentford player goes to ground having actually steadied himself perfectly. He's conned them and VAR should have spotted it.

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
Am I the only one that doesn’t mind this rule ? Removes any ambiguity now rather than what was ‘deliberate’ or not
Yes, you may well be, because it's simply ridiculous. Faced with a packed goal, all you have to do is kick the ball against someone's arm....penalty.
It's absurd.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Yes, you may well be, because it's simply ridiculous. Faced with a packed goal, all you have to do is kick the ball against someone's arm....penalty.
It's absurd.

But at least it’s fare / consistent with no wiggle room. I’ve referee’d at an ok level in Sussex leagues and I always hated any hand ball decision. Doesn’t help that players claim it for anything remotely close

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
But at least it’s fare / consistent with no wiggle room. I’ve referee’d at an ok level in Sussex leagues and I always hated any hand ball decision. Doesn’t help that players claim it for anything remotely close
I do understand that, but a player facing away, who has the ball hit him from close range, which ricocheted from back to arm, should never, ever been given.
It really is absurd, from whichever angle you look at it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here