Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dunk for williamson

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Currently 3 of our 4 first team centre backs are in their 20s.

Oh come on Baghdad Bob this is an impressive communique even by your standards, one of them is 29 and this deal will replace a 24 year old with someone who is plus 30 :facepalm:

This seems like a good deal on the face of it though, better than Dunk going to Fulham anyway.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Oh come on Baghdad Bob this is an impressive communique even by your standards, one of them is 29 and this deal will replace a 24 year old with someone who is plus 30 :facepalm:

This seems like a good deal on the face of it though, better than Dunk going to Fulham anyway.

Bob here again. OP said we are having to rely on centre backs "at end of their champ careers"
Regardless of merits of Dunk leaving or not this, Greer aside, is exaggerating wildly :) and isn't true.
We gave a first team debut only this week to a 20 year old CB for example.

And talking of elphick, cook then their back up/replacement is 37 and on 40k a week.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
30 and 31 for a Centre Half pairing really isn't very old.

Being pedantic, it would be 30 & 32 if you are referring to a Hunemaeier-Williamson partnership. Also - I believe Greer-Hunemaeier would be 1st choice. The good thing is that we'll have Rea, Dallison, White, Barclay & Golan-Heights coming through over the next few years.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Big difference, It was a loan

No difference whatsoever in the context. Hughton knew him and clearly rated him, otherwise he wouldn't have got him in.

I'm not saying Williamson will be rubbish, just that the jury is MASSIVELY out.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Dunk has only had his automatic starting place for one season so he is still needs that regular place for more experience. Elphic and Cook have had 3-4 seasons of starting at Bournemouth and it has made them the players they are today.

Dunk needs to play not sit on the bench at Newcastle, so it would be a bad move for him and for us. His choice will be football or money :shrug:

Speculating on what he is worth and recieving offers for him can only be a good thing though, because it helps us to understand his stock value.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Can't we sell Dunk and get him back 'on a Zaha' season long loan ? ???

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Bob here again. OP said we are having to rely on centre backs "at end of their champ careers"
Regardless of merits of Dunk leaving or not this, Greer aside, is exaggerating wildly :) and isn't true.
We gave a first team debut only this week to a 20 year old CB for example.

And talking of elphick, cook then their back up/replacement is 37 and on 40k a week.

Look here Baghdad Bob - stop spinning my statement by changing my words! It was "towards the end of their Championship careers", not "at end of champ careers". Whilst you'd make a very good spin doctor, I'd forget a career as a proof reader!

Not so wildly exaggerated now is it?

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I actually think Williamson would be a decent defender in the championship

I actually think you may be right, if all this speculation does come to something l think we could do a lot worse,

He has played a fair few games for Newcastle, for a succession of managers, so they must see something in him to play him fairly regularly, and the drop in a division could benefit his game. So if they are willing to offer us £5m plus Williamson for Dunk, then I wouldn't be too unhappy with that.

As others have said though, would he be prepared to come here?, and wages could be a big issue too.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
No difference whatsoever in the context. Hughton knew him and clearly rated him, otherwise he wouldn't have got him in.

I disagree. All Hughton's loans were stop-gaps to give us more depth, hence none of them returning this season (desperately finds some wood to touch). He knew Best, and he was available, and we needed cover up front.

Williamson is a Premier League defender that's played over 130 times for Newcastle. He may not be amazing at that level but he's a different class compared to Best.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Lewis Dunk is on his way to Newcastle in return for Mike Williamson, plus £4m. Astute piece of business as the latter is a more than an adequate replacement centre back. Hughton knows him well and rates him highly for Championship level. In addition there will be plenty of new money to fund both a top class striker and a winger, with maybe some change left for a midfield maestro.

Not business sense. Mike Williamson is a very good under-rated player but he is on £40K a week which kyboshes all the economics. He is also older and more an ideal replacement for Greer. Good player though. He would be my first choice replacement to replace Greer, but the wages are OTT. Speed and height. But is a no-goer.

He would earn more in his one year contract at Newcastle than four years down here. Complete non-goer.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Williams would be a very good CB here, but the talk of him plus 5m for Dunk are fantasy - that values one or the other very wrongly.

Brighton TID

Jul 24, 2005
Horsham

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
This vid proves three things to me: (i) Best was/is certainly not best, (ii) Buckley on his day was/is a very, very, very, very good winger, (iii) Williamson was unlucky with the deflection

Very much as I saw it. Best was always naff. Williamson has stamina and speed to nearly catch up with Buckley. Williamson was the only Newcastle players that was at the races both games.Got unlucky twice. He got into the right position to try and stop the Orlandi goal as well. Just did not know that Orlandi could not kick with his right foot in the second game.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here