Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Dunk brought back too soon

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
With hindsight has to be the case...Dunk looked really off the pace and Mitrovic gave him a torrid time.

Bruno has next to no chance of displacing Montoya on current form, and given Bernardo is (allegedly) able to play all across the back 4 and we know Balogun is very capable at CB I can’t see Bruno even being on the bench.

First we brought in Tyler-Forbes then Mateju then Schellotto all to start in the U23s then presumably being prepared to take over Bruno's place but all have failed but now we have found the man I think in Montoya

West Upper Seagull

Oct 31, 2003
Woodingdean
Dunk was completely out played and out muscled by Mitrovic, should not have been brought straight back in as it sends the wrong message to the players in the team, like Balogun.

I said the same thing myself - Balogun has been class in the games he played so Hughton is now sending out the wrong message - what happened to keeping the shirt if you come in and take your chance and play well ?!

DFL JCL

Jan 8, 2016
Maybe CH put dunk in because he has consistently been our best defender for 4 years, is our captain while Bruno is out and he looked alright in training.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Nothing to do with his injury just came up against one of the only strikers in this division who can bully big centre halves. Mitrovic would be handful for any central defenders playing at the level he did yesterday

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Dunk's mistake was a mental one rather than physical fitness. He had a decision to make and made the wrong one. Maybe overconfidence on the ball at a time we were on top.

That said Gross and March made mistakes of equal gravity.

brianwade

Jan 31, 2008
Definitely.

As said earlier, I think as much as the 4 D's are the first 4 names on the team sheet, everybody else's position is up for grabs.

Bruno won't be back anytime soon.
Neither Izzy or Andone (assuming they haven't past) will be straight in either, despite what NSC thinks tonight the queue for starting winger is long and impressive.
While I sit here in my wrongness concerning Murray, who by 01.09 has already surpassed my expectations of him this season. (I was that wrong).
Agreed. Im afraid our Brighton boys need motivating. Balogun was immense so why drop himand March was poor all last season. Not good enough for the 25 in my view. He scored a nice header against Bournemouth but hes lazy and just not good enough. Championship at best for Solly im sad ro say

The Camel

Nov 1, 2010
Darlington, UK
I can see exactly why Dunk was hurried back. Definitely best equipped to meet the physical challenge Mitrovic provides. Unfortunately we can’t make these decisions in hindsight!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Maybe CH put dunk in because he has consistently been our best defender for 4 years, is our captain while Bruno is out and he looked alright in training.

This. FFS.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Shows it’s a game of opinions - I thought Dunk & Duffy handled Mitrovic superbly apart from the goal which also looked a foul. Didn’t notice Dunk particularly off the pace either. Looks like I’m in the minority here though :lol:

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
He did not have a good game today. Gave away a goal and generally looked off the pace. Poor positioning and some poor passing. Why disturb a centre-back partnership that did so well against Man Utd and Liverpool? Makes no sense to me. Balugon looked great so why relegate him to the bench?

exactly...!!

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
Dunk's mistake was a mental one rather than physical fitness. He had a decision to make and made the wrong one. Maybe overconfidence on the ball at a time we were on top.

That said Gross and March made mistakes of equal gravity.

You can add Stephens to the mistake list as he left the 24 who was instrumental in their first goal ....

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
I said the same thing myself - Balogun has been class in the games he played so Hughton is now sending out the wrong message - what happened to keeping the shirt if you come in and take your chance and play well ?!

I’m not convinced that Balogun would have been able to control mitrovic. Monsters like that aren’t the norm in German football but are in England. I suspect that this why Dunk played.
Oh, you don’t become shit overnight ....

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Why is it bizarre.
CH based the entirety of last season on D, D, D & D.
Everybody else is interchangeable, but those 4 are the base everybody else is attached too.

However he did switch up the full backs a few times last year.

Maybe bizarre was a strong word but I would have thought that, on paper, Bernardo was bought as an upgrade on Bong. I wasn't at Watford but apparently he looked solid until he had to switch sides. However Bong is playing very well and has kept the shirt - which I agree with. However Balogun has to hand his back (not a criticism of Dunk who I didn't think looked that bad today).

Personally I like a "keep the shirt" policy - I remember when Bobby Z had to sit on the bench for a few games because Lee Steele was on form.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
However he did switch up the full backs a few times last year.

Maybe bizarre was a strong word but I would have thought that, on paper, Bernardo was bought as an upgrade on Bong. I wasn't at Watford but apparently he looked solid until he had to switch sides. However Bong is playing very well and has kept the shirt - which I agree with. However Balogun has to hand his back (not a criticism of Dunk who I didn't think looked that bad today).

Personally I like a "keep the shirt" policy - I remember when Bobby Z had to sit on the bench for a few games because Lee Steele was on form.

Everybody has a 'keep the shirt' policy except Davy, Dale, Dunk & Duffy.
They are the foundation this team is built on.

Nobody complained last season (scratch that - only a few complained) when Duffy came straight back in.
We spent the first half of the Summer bemoaning Dunk's distance from the England team.

I started the first thread eulogizing Balogun, the guy is clearly class.

CH made the only call he could make, and much to our surprise it didn't pay off, but as others have said, Mitrovic is allowed to play as well.
All this bollox about 'too soon' 'everyone around me said ...' 'off the pace' is precisely that, hindsight inflected bollox.

It's only relevant if the medical staff took a minute out from hiding the bodies to say 'Dunk is not fit enough to play' of LD said much the same himself and CH overruled them.

We all know that didn't happen.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
Shows it’s a game of opinions - I thought Dunk & Duffy handled Mitrovic superbly apart from the goal which also looked a foul. Didn’t notice Dunk particularly off the pace either. Looks like I’m in the minority here though :lol:

The same posters who think Dunk should have been on the bench are likely the same ones who would be bitching if Balogun played and the result was the same.

West Upper Seagull

Oct 31, 2003
Woodingdean
I’m not convinced that Balogun would have been able to control mitrovic. Monsters like that aren’t the norm in German football but are in England. I suspect that this why Dunk played.
Oh, you don’t become shit overnight ....

I’m not for one minute implying Dunk has become shit overnight so you can get that idea out of your head ! And is Mitrovic any more of a monster than Lukaku - I don’t think so somehow.

D

Deleted member 2719

If I was Balogun I would be very pissed off tonight after the way he played against Liverpool.
He more than deserved to start today and it would have given Dunk a chance to recover further what with the break coming up.
I cannot see why Dunk was rushed back in

This.

I thought the brief from Hughton was if you play well you keep the shirt.

Well that's clearly bolloxs and sends a confusing message to the players.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here