Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Dull, dull, dull, have we now become the dullest team to watch in the EPL?

lost in london

Dec 10, 2003
London
We miss anyone who can break the lines. Webster does it when fit, Trossard used to do it, Lalana can do it sometimes when fit, Lamptey can do it but more often than not checks back.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
As with [MENTION=435]Stat Brother[/MENTION] on the other thread, we have to stop obsessing about managers.

Just look at what has been going on. We sold £63m worth of defenders in the last 2 windows. Both outstanding players in our ranks. We didn't replace at CB. We didn't add in attack, if anything we weakened there too with loans going out. These are the tools for a manager that prefers to play with 3 CBs and wing backs.

We haven't added a goal threat in any of the last 4 transfer windows. Again, it has been plainly obvious we lack goals. Do we honestly believe, and I know some on these boards do believe this, that you can just coach natural goal scoring instincts into players. News Flash: you can't, you can improve players through coaching, you cannot transform them, they bring with them their natural attributes and you work on improving and developing those.

And so we've had all 3 remaining out and out CBs injured over the winter, one still injured, Dunk probably came back too early because he had to. We weaken in Jan, our footballing director goes (I have no idea if that has effected anyone or not) and we're arguing over what the manager has done wrong. What about this elephant at the back of the room?

If Bloom lets GP go, then make no mistake unless things radically change then it will be more of the same. Maybe a honeymoon period bounce or something.

Oh come on Bold. That is a little rose-tinted. At present, nobody os calling for Potter's head, but they are looking to Potter for some answers. I was perplexed by his first substitution last night. It just didn't make sense.

On your point about coaching natural goal scoring instincts into players, I agree, but this isn't about that. Maupay is a player with a natural goal scoring instinct, if he gets the service. Put him one on one with a keeper as Kane was last night and he's useless. But, this is about things like shooting and transitioning from defence to attack faster. There was a point last night where we were attacking and 9 of our players were trotting out of defence. Our midfield at least should be screaming out. To be fair, my neighbour did say that Gros probably was sprinting.

This is the same team that people were salivating over earlier in the season, minus Burn. We've just been worked out and we haven't worked out a way to change.

I agree we haven't added a goal threat in the previous windows, but Maupay (God bless him) is the hardest working player on the pitch. We could put Mbappe in the team and I fear that we'd get the same results unless we start to pick up the pieces a bit.

In defence, I agree. Heresy to say it, but I'd sooner have kept Burn and sold Dunk. At least Burn brings the ball out of defence and gets into dangerous positions in open player, in much the same way as Webster does. That defensive combination was far more purposeful whereas Dunk and Duffy sit far too deep. But as others have said, GP may not have the players that can play that way. I'm assuming that the players we have purchased who we've put out on loan can play the Potter way (whatever that is).

I agree with a lot of what you say, but we haven't weakened that much in terms of personnel. We just haven't strengthened. And as for Ashworth, well this is his legacy so if that's it, then fill your boots Newcastle. Or perhaps he disagreed with this strategy of buying players to loan them out, increase their value and either a) sell or b) put in our squad. This is what frustrates fans with the transfer market. One assumes we are investing in players for the Albion, whereas we are not. The Albion is just a vehicle for buying and selling - like a glorified stud farm for footballers. It's just our studs are impotent.

Oh and PS, I don't give two shits whether Union Saint Gilloise win the league - get those front three back here if they are any good.

Sorry to rant Bold. I know you're an exceptional poster and I really enjoy reading your posts, it's just that I think we are not holding GP to account enough. And I want him to turn it around. With a good win against Norwich and with some confidence back I think he can, but he also has to look at how we are playing and do some work on that.

el punal

One thing I noticed last night is every Tottenham player was playing one or at most two touch football whereas all our play is 3-5 touches. This combined with the absence of ANY player now driving into space or running with the ball means the opposition is always set up comfortably behind the ball.

We must be one of the easiest sides in the league to prepare for and play against at the moment

A Tottenham friend summed it up, unfortunately. He said Spurs didn’t have to play well to beat us. Us, until recently, with one of the best defences in the Premier League.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Oh come on Bold. That is a little rose-tinted. At present, nobody os calling for Potter's head, but they are looking to Potter for some answers. I was perplexed by his first substitution last night. It just didn't make sense.

On your point about coaching natural goal scoring instincts into players, I agree, but this isn't about that. Maupay is a player with a natural goal scoring instinct, if he gets the service. Put him one on one with a keeper as Kane was last night and he's useless. But, this is about things like shooting and transitioning from defence to attack faster. There was a point last night where we were attacking and 9 of our players were trotting out of defence. Our midfield at least should be screaming out. To be fair, my neighbour did say that Gros probably was sprinting.

This is the same team that people were salivating over earlier in the season, minus Burn. We've just been worked out and we haven't worked out a way to change.

I agree we haven't added a goal threat in the previous windows, but Maupay (God bless him) is the hardest working player on the pitch. We could put Mbappe in the team and I fear that we'd get the same results unless we start to pick up the pieces a bit.

In defence, I agree. Heresy to say it, but I'd sooner have kept Burn and sold Dunk. At least Burn brings the ball out of defence and gets into dangerous positions in open player, in much the same way as Webster does. That defensive combination was far more purposeful whereas Dunk and Duffy sit far too deep. But as others have said, GP may not have the players that can play that way. I'm assuming that the players we have purchased who we've put out on loan can play the Potter way (whatever that is).

I agree with a lot of what you say, but we haven't weakened that much in terms of personnel. We just haven't strengthened. And as for Ashworth, well this is his legacy so if that's it, then fill your boots Newcastle. Or perhaps he disagreed with this strategy of buying players to loan them out, increase their value and either a) sell or b) put in our squad. This is what frustrates fans with the transfer market. One assumes we are investing in players for the Albion, whereas we are not. The Albion is just a vehicle for buying and selling - like a glorified stud farm for footballers. It's just our studs are impotent.

Oh and PS, I don't give two shits whether Union Saint Gilloise win the league - get those front three back here if they are any good.

Sorry to rant Bold. I know you're an exceptional poster and I really enjoy reading your posts, it's just that I think we are not holding GP to account enough. And I want him to turn it around. With a good win against Norwich and with some confidence back I think he can, but he also has to look at how we are playing and do some work on that.

Not strengthening / replacing is weakening H. Teams in this league have rooms of people analysing every tactic, player and weakness in a side. I've seen the Albion's room of analysts. You stand still as we have done in terms of forwards / defenders, you are in trouble and as you say you do get worked out. As I posted on the other thread, I'm a fan of Ralph Hasenhuttl but he's had worse runs than we're having. He's had better runs too. But like us, he can only do so much tactically, coaching to what he has at his disposal.

What has hit our team is what hits every team fighting out this middle ground at different points in the season - a sudden loss of confidence and belief. Southampton have just had a dose of it, Leeds, Everton, Watford, Burnley all have it for a while, Brentford lost 7 from 8 up until their recent 2 wins. We've lost 6 in a row but amazingly we beat Norwich we could be top 10 again.

This is reality check time at the top table. Change up your managers all you like as Watford do and it might make a difference, try a whole completely different tactical approach like Leeds are doing. End of the day it comes down to the players, their confidence.

IMHO this isn't a tactical problem at present, it's confidence and belief in the side. Someone mentioned the old classic managers like Clough and Busby yesterday. If you go into the detail of some of these guys, they didn't always get involved in tactics, Clough and Busby as examples delegated to Taylor and Murphy. Clough would take Tony Woodcock off for a game of squash missing a training session just to relax him and take the pressure off. It was about the players, not tactics. Roy Keane said out of the two he rated Clough over Ferguson because it was Clough who gave him belief. Potter's challenge ahead of Norwich isn't different tactics, different passing patterns, it's simply making this group believe in themselves and each other again. No magic wand or easy task either.

p.s. at 0-2 how did taking off an out of form defensive midfielder and replacing with a centre forward not make sense? :shrug:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
We haven't added a goal threat in any of the last 4 transfer windows. Again, it has been plainly obvious we lack goals.

I'll confess to eyeing Palace's options with a touch of envy the other night.

They started with a front three of Olise and Zaha, with Mateta down the middle, and on the bench they had Benteke, Edouard, Ayew and Eze available.

It feels like an abundance of riches relative to the hand Potter had to play last night.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004

They started with a front three of Olise and Zaha, with Mateta down the middle, and on the bench they had Benteke, Edouard, Ayew and Eze available.

It feels like an abundance of riches relative to the hand Potter had to play last night.

Palace as a squad were on their knees in the summer yet have managed to add a really promising attacking line up and replace the manager with someone who is getting a tune out of them.

Whilst I hate to say it they have achieved in one summer what has taken us 3 years to not get right and will likely finish above us (again) this season.

Now I need to go and have a wash as I feel dirty saying that.

Huge summer for the Albion

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

It’s in their DNA over about the last 7 managers to recruit pace in the forwards.

NOT always costing the earth in fees/wages, in our price range too.

Under CH/GP/DA/GW, we simply haven’t done that.

Over 10 transfer windows, why?

It’s been mentioned many a time on nsc.

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
We left on 77 minutes last night, probably the earliest I have ever left any game. I just couldn’t see a goal coming from anywhere except maybe a third for Spurs. By the time we got to the car, I was actually quite relieved it had ended 0-2 and wasn’t even worse.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Palace as a squad were on their knees in the summer yet have managed to add a really promising attacking line up and replace the manager with someone who is getting a tune out of them.

Whilst I hate to say it they have achieved in one summer what has taken us 3 years to not get right and will likely finish above us (again) this season.

Now I need to go and have a wash as I feel dirty saying that.

Huge summer for the Albion

They have :down:

I was hoping for a couple of seasons adjustment as they struggled against relegation but the summer basket case now has a much stronger looking squad than us. No point in being in denial about it, I also thought/hoped Viera might struggle but he’s taken to this PL lark like a duck to water

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
It’s in their DNA over about the last 7 managers to recruit pace in the forwards.

NOT always costing the earth in fees/wages, in our price range too.

Under CH/GP/DA/GW, we simply haven’t done that.

Over 10 transfer windows, why?

It’s been mentioned many a time on nsc.

Because our recruitment and management team have spreadsheets informed by algorithms. Right now, our play feels like one big algorithm gone wrong.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Because our recruitment and management team have spreadsheets informed by algorithms. Right now, our play feels like one big algorithm gone wrong.

Brighton #DIV/0!
Tottenham 2
(Romero 37, Kane 57)

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
the ***** are asleep , they think we can't go down so have nothing to play for , bell ends , doesn't feel right to be fair .....can take 2-0 v bin dippers but not yids.....sorry.....piss poor..!

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
There’s been nothing we’ve seen in the past 6 games that we haven’t seen plenty of times in the past few seasons. I still think we were playing worse around 16 months ago-ish.

So let’s not get carried away, Potterball wasn’t all it was quite cracked up to be by its boosters but neither is it as bad as what a run of poor form and tough fixtures is suggesting it is. We’ll probably beat Norwich comfortably and coast the last games after in our usual hit and miss way. Then on to a bit of summer strengthening hopefully

That almost sounds like positivity!

:ban:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
That was fu**ing deathly dull.

Potter plays great football? Not any more he doesn't.

Examples:

Just before half time Trossard has the opportunity to launch a break down the left, turns back inside instead, dribbles backwards, loses it and eventually Kane gets a free kick twenty yards out. March. Every flipping time he either loses out on a 50-50 due to pace or gets clear, turns back and launches a lovely five yard pass backwards or backwards diagonal. It's painful and obvious.

Lots and lots of square five yard balls while we waited for Spurs to get back in formation. They were so far quicker and direct in possession.

We have a bunch of players who CANNOT play this football, Duffy cannot play this football, Hello Sanchez, you're not Ederson, why not ping one of those lovely passes behind the full back like you did in the first 10 mins against Liverpool. March cannot play this football. Maupay barely gets any chances these days yet seems to be the sort of player who needs a quick instinctive ball in to score, Give him any longer than a second to think about it and he makes a complete balls up of it. Mac Allister has no idea who to play the forward pass to. Veltman is a poor pastiche of when Bruno used to find impossible line balls down the right.

Change the players or change the coach. What's cheaper? Or settle for THIS? I genuinely don't know the answer any more.

I am coming at it from, perhaps more of a cheery fan boy direction but I suspect we are now almost in the same place.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003

Knowing our luck they'll all be loaned out again next season with Undav going to a Championship club to build up his feel for the 'British style'.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Out of all the match reports I've seen from last night, this has to be the most depressingly damning line of all from BBC

....and unsurprisingly failed to register a single effort on target.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here