Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Duffy

Seagulltonian

C'mon the Albion!
Oct 2, 2003
Still Somewhere in Sussex!
I though Duffy was going to score a goal at the right end, on more than one occasion last night!
His performance definitely deserved a goal, and I was hoping Tomer may have let him take the penalty!

samtheseagull

Sep 15, 2010
I heard a rumour (from a v.reliable source) that the decision to buy a player like Duffy was made by Hughton after the Burnley home game last season and seeing the way that Dunk was getting beaten in the air, or at least outmuscled, by Burnley. Whoever, in the club, identified Duffy and then managed to persuade Blackburn to part with him for so little money considering his age, ability and him being a full international deserves lots of plaudits.

Duffy has been such a pleasure to watch this season and I think he's made Dunk a better player too. Their partnership is one that I think we'll all talk about in years to come. Their stats are incredible so far and if (big if) we go up then that purchase of Duffy could go down as one of our best bits of business we've ever done as a club.

You can probably tell, I really like the guy!

We got him "cheap" if you like as he only had a year left on his contract and had rejected Blackburns offer of a new one.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
The most incredible thing, for me, is that he's younger than dunk. When I see him play I just assume hes an experienced 32-year old who has seen it and done it and that he's bringing stability and assurance to the youngster Dunk. But he's only 24 and absolutely quality. Can't help but feel for Goldson who really earnt his first team spot last year, but Duffy was an inspired signing.
The one and only downside of it all is Connor could get forced out. Connor could easily do a Steve cook

samtheseagull

Sep 15, 2010
Was saying the same thing to my son last night. He's quality and the partnership with Dunk is a pleasure to watch. Could have had a hat trick too if Norwood's delivery had been better.

Very harsh regarding Norwood. The free kicks he put in were almost perfect in my eyes.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
I heard a rumour (from a v.reliable source) that the decision to buy a player like Duffy was made by Hughton after the Burnley home game last season and seeing the way that Dunk was getting beaten in the air, or at least outmuscled, by Burnley. Whoever, in the club, identified Duffy and then managed to persuade Blackburn to part with him for so little money considering his age, ability and him being a full international deserves lots of plaudits.

Duffy has been such a pleasure to watch this season and I think he's made Dunk a better player too. Their partnership is one that I think we'll all talk about in years to come. Their stats are incredible so far and if (big if) we go up then that purchase of Duffy could go down as one of our best bits of business we've ever done as a club.

You can probably tell, I really like the guy!

Correct rumour but replace Dunk with Goldson

The Goldson-Dunk partnership was good last season. But here's an example of how we have to upgrade to get to the Prem. That might still hold true for other bits of the team re. The coming window

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
We have a better centre back partnership than many premiership clubs. The spine of our team is superb and a fantastic basis for the future

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Very harsh regarding Norwood. The free kicks he put in were almost perfect in my eyes.

Had to agree with the Sky pundits in so much that if they were aimed at just inside the far post and not quite so high the Leeds defenders have to play the ball or Green is left stranded. Fine tuning though.

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
As a CB pairing they have been great. Dominated Wood last night who is no mug and put away 10 goals this year. Both can play the ball as well although Dunks passing at times is like watching a creative midfielder pulling the strings. I can believe that about Duffy. Only Sam Vokes won more heading duels last year. Connors time will come as well. He is a quality CB as well and also has all the attributes to play in the PL but if it is 1 area he needs to improve I would say it's in the air

samtheseagull

Sep 15, 2010
Had to agree with the Sky pundits in so much that if they were aimed at just inside the far post and not quite so high the Leeds defenders have to play the ball or Green is left stranded. Fine tuning though.

Of course in a perfect situation. Could argue that the attackers should of got on the end of them tho. Really dangerous free kicks. Maybe if they were inside the back post the keeper would of actually got to the ball?

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
As others have said, they compliment each other perfectly. Dunk is a cultured ball player and Duffy is a beast in the air and the tackle. Between them they have every attribute covered and they both look like better players because of that. Imagine a hypothetical situation where Duffy was partnered with a clone of himself, I think he'd get caught out regularly and maybe that's why some fans see him as error prone from his Blackburn days.

I think Goldson has similar attributes to Dunk which is why we were vulnerable in the air when they played together.

Dolph Ins

May 26, 2014
Mid Sussex
I think Dunk was a little hamstrung by covering for Greer last season. Greer also won very little in the air. Now Dunk and Duffy have formed the perfect defensive partnership, there doesn't have to be last ditch tackles and diving in. They both have good timing.
Bruno has also benefited from Duffy's reliability. The only mistake I've seen him (Duffy) make is the last minute goal for Preston when he was beaten to the header.

Yes we seem to be giving away far fewer free kicks around our box.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
As others have said, they compliment each other perfectly. Dunk is a cultured ball player and Duffy is a beast in the air and the tackle. Between them they have every attribute covered and they both look like better players because of that. Imagine a hypothetical situation where Duffy was partnered with a clone of himself, I think he'd get caught out regularly and maybe that's why some fans see him as error prone from his Blackburn days.

I think Goldson has similar attributes to Dunk which is why we were vulnerable in the air when they played together.

Whether by accident or design. Duffy had a heck of a lot of the ball at his feet at Cardiff, and he was pretty agricultural at times; really looked as if he didn't quite know what to do with space around him. But he is a defender and some. Would love him to add goals to his already very high standing

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
He was Poe first 2 games and so solid crew since. Fantastic buy. Makes me laugh how random football 'fans' on Twitter laughed at us for signing him, basing their opinion on one match that hit the headlines. We're having the last laugh of course...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here