Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Dubrovnik Trip

Quinney

Aug 3, 2009
Hastings
Will be heading of to Dubrovnik later this month. Has anyone got any tips / must do’s for the city? I’ve asked about other cities on here previously and there are always some great suggestions that aren’t always available via normal sources.

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL
It's a lovely city but be prepared for it to be a lot more expensive than you thought! The whole place in the summer is essentially tourists.

Depending how active you are, kayaking on the sea is nice to Lokrum (the island opposite). The Game of Thrones tour is supposedly really nice but I didn't do it. Walking round the old town is also an experience. You may even see bullet holes around.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Will be heading of to Dubrovnik later this month. Has anyone got any tips / must do’s for the city? I’ve asked about other cities on here previously and there are always some great suggestions that aren’t always available via normal sources.
All I can say is, one of my favourite holidays was to Croatia. Very italian-esque with a history stretching back to the 9th Century when Venetians largely occupied the country along the Adriatic coast. It's a place of meandering, taking it easy, and just soaking it all in. I can't really help with specific things to see and do, but in a way think it's a place not to plan too much.

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
Lovely place, I'm sure you'll have a great time there. As @Ali_rrr said, there's tours of the GoT sites so if you've seen the show it is fascinating to see the actual places, and most of the guides seem to have books of pictures showing the scenes in the show so they can do a direct comparison. As part of those tours, they tend to tell you about historical elements of the city which AREN'T GoT related so you get the best of both worlds. The city wall is worth walking for an elevated view of the city.

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
Went last September & absolutely loved Dubrovnik. Lokrum, Srd Mountain & the city walls walk are essential but I could happily spend a week just exploring the city, eating & drinking. Be sure to spend some time at one of the exhibitions/commemorations to the city's part in the war in the 90s. It shapes the locals & shouldn't be ignored

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
All I can say is, one of my favourite holidays was to Croatia. Very italian-esque with a history stretching back to the 9th Century when Venetians largely occupied the country along the Adriatic coast. It's a place of meandering, taking it easy, and just soaking it all in. I can't really help with specific things to see and do, but in a way think it's a place not to plan too much.
Agreed. We also visited Split and Zadar. All very lovely.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Went last September & absolutely loved Dubrovnik. Lokrum, Srd Mountain & the city walls walk are essential but I could happily spend a week just exploring the city, eating & drinking. Be sure to spend some time at one of the exhibitions/commemorations to the city's part in the war in the 90s. It shapes the locals & shouldn't be ignored
I think there are quite a few tours operated that take in the whole siege of dubrovnik story, where the artillary positions were, how the siege unfolded etc. As you say, the war is very visible around the cities.

Fourteenth Eye

Face for Radio
Jul 9, 2004
Brighton
Dubrovnik is a wonderful place but as already indicated is a bit of a tourist trap. as soon as one of the many cruise liners come in they empty out into the old town.

However if you venture further in than the monied octogenarians can be bothered, you will get more bang for your buck.

There are some wonderful bars in the rocks of the city walls where you can have a drink or dive off into the crystal clear waters.

Have fun

Walking the walls is great. When within the walled city and looking for a beer or 2 and a spot to eat go off the main street a couple of roads back and the prices improve when you find locals bars. Anywhere with cruise people eating with cost you a fortune.

As previously mentioned I'd 2nd the cable car suggestion. When we went they had exhibitions on about the balkans conflict up there which was pretty interesting.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Dubrovnik is gorgeous, but you really have to be prepared for the crowds. Try and get on the walls first thing and if you are adventurous, I would recommend trying the Octopus burger in Barba. A small good value place to eat in the Old Town. Some of the other better value places are either side of the Old Town.

We visited an Irish Pub in Dubrovnik a few years back (for the only justifiable reason I know of), to watch a Brighton game and Solly March's sister was with friends on the next table. These days however everyone wants to watch Brighton!

If you get the opportunity to visit any of the islands or just to take a boat trip up the coast, I would take it.

Last edited:

Ding Dong !

Boy I'm HOT today !
Jul 26, 2004
Worthing
Went last Summer....fab holiday.

3 Island boat trip for the day from Dubrovnik was well worth it ( lunch & drinks included )

Oh and walk the around the top of the walled city.....great views

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Also went last September. Not there long - we did our annual "chaps who haven't grown up" long weekend to that area. Flew to Dubrovnik, drove straight to Bosnia to do whitewater rafting, terrifying mountain road drive to Montenegro for a couple of days walking in a national park and 2 days in Dubrovnik before we flew home. A very short time but managed to do the cliff jumping from one of the bars under the old walls, walk round the walls and the old city, bit of beach time and some very good food.

It is incredibly touristy but fascinating with lovely weather. Was very expensive compared to Bosnia and Montenegro though. Not many "proper" beaches but as TCT mentions there are some great ones up the coast.

One thing, we were in the main drag of the old city and decided to look for a bar in a side street that might be cheaper. The one we found was moody as heck with one very drunk barfly and some guys who were clearly ex military. Only 10 or so yards from the main drag with tables outside full of tourists.

When we arrived we were looking for our accommodation and I had my BHA backpack on - another Brighton fan stopped me for a chat in the street (was the week we drew 3-3 at Liverpool)!

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Dubrovnik is goergeous, but you really have to be prepared for the crowds. Try and get on the walls first thing and if you are adventurous, I would recommend trying the Octopus burger in Barba. A small good value place to eat in the Old Town. Som eof the other better value places are either side of the Old Town.

We visited an Irish Pub in Dubrovnik a few years back (for the only justifiable reason I know of), to watch a Brighton game and Solly March's sister was with friends on the next table. These days however everyone wants to watch Brighton!

If you get the opportunity to visit any of the islands or just to take a boat trip up the coast, I would take it.
Was she a bit over the top?

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Boat trip down to Cavtat for lunch is a nice way to spend a day. Can get a bit much in Dubrovnik old town when the cruise ships are in.

Depending on how long you are going for it’s well worth having a few trips planned as you can do most of the city in a day or two.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here