Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dublin shopping advice needed.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
With the current situation of Irelands euro debt crisis and reports of shops slashing prices of their goods is a trip to Dublin worth it ? I am not talking 10% off pre-christmas sales,but genuine reductions on clothes and camara,watches etc such as i/e Canon digital camara was 135 euro,s now 60. That sort of thing. :thumbsup::wave:

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
With the current exchange rate between Sterling and the Euro I would doubt it very much.

formerdutchmarine

Sep 25, 2008
Still remains to be one of the most expensive cities in Europe, I don't envisage that will change either regardless of their current situation.
:albion1:

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
People from Dublin all go to the North to get the high value items you're mentioning. Dublin is an EXTREMELY expensive city for such items. Clothes are possibly the only things cheaper here and even then, not often. And diesel, but I can't see you bringing back an oil tanker...

Also, for all the 'debt crisis' there hasn't, as yet, been much impact on the vast majority of the people who are still employed. The debt crisis is nearly entirely the banks; not the state (although they've become one with nationalisation). People can still afford €135 euro cameras and likely will be able to all the way through.

Racek

Wing man to TFSO top boy.
Jan 3, 2010
Edinburgh
I lived in Dublin for a year and I would agree that it would not be worth going over there for a shopping trip.

When I was there it was so over priced. If you were to go and stay the night you would blow any potential savings on food, hotel and drinks.

I was renting a 3 bed flat in Dublin and it cost 2300 euro a month!!

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
With the current situation of Irelands euro debt crisis and reports of shops slashing prices of their goods is a trip to Dublin worth it ? I am not talking 10% off pre-christmas sales,but genuine reductions on clothes and camara,watches etc such as i/e Canon digital camara was 135 euro,s now 60. That sort of thing. :thumbsup::wave:

Haggle............. they need the cash

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Dublin is a very pleasant city to spend time in, I visited last month and enjoyed it. As others have said, it's quite expensive though.

Earlsfield Seagull

Feb 18, 2009
Hi. I go to Dublin 4 or 5 times a year (my wife is Irish) and it isnt a cheap place for shopping at all I can promise you! It's got better in the last year or so, but prices are certainly lower over here.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here