Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

drunk at work

gruntage

Jan 14, 2008
Bristol
Currently sat at my desk struggling to stay awake and Still a little pissed. Didn't get home till nearly 5 and with the alarm set at 6.30 I've had about an hours sleep following a heavy session in town last night. My ears are ringing so badly that I can barely hear and I'm so tired I dozed off for a second at the water fountain. I know that in an hour or two the hangover will really kick in,far worse than the headache I have at the moment. I wish I was 18 again as today would be a doddle!

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
if that was any of our sites, you would be on your way instantly

our temperance owners ( if that is the right description) take a very dim view of drunkenness and f*** off huge Mainframes and PDU's

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
if that was any of our sites, you would be on your way instantly

our temperance owners ( if that is the right description) take a very dim view of drunkenness and f*** off huge Mainframes and PDU's

Changed since my day. Recently I heard a true horror story off an IBM engineer. He was called to look at a broken mainframe console on Christmas Eve some two hours from his home. When he got there the 'fault' was caused by an operator puking over it !

Don't know what happened to the operator !

gruntage

Jan 14, 2008
Bristol
I catch a bus thankyou. I do not drink and drive. And I had no idea the. Evening would run so late. Didn't plan it. I am not a puker and am perfectly able to wotk, just with a little haze to it! I am not exactly stumbling around.

westy

Jul 25, 2003
Currently sat at my desk struggling to stay awake and Still a little pissed. Didn't get home till nearly 5 and with the alarm set at 6.30 I've had about an hours sleep following a heavy session in town last night. My ears are ringing so badly that I can barely hear and I'm so tired I dozed off for a second at the water fountain. I know that in an hour or two the hangover will really kick in,far worse than the headache I have at the moment. I wish I was 18 again as today would be a doddle!

We've all been there. Good effort fella.

'sladegull

fat boy fat
Aug 11, 2007
'slade
Do mainframes still exist? I thought that was obsolete in the 80's.

As for being pissed, go and sleep in the toilet for a bit :thumbsup:

Not sure of the point of the thread but now I have bothered to read it may as well contribute :smile:

Mainframes are no where near obsolete and for some of the larger financial institutions are still considered strategic because of their ability to process volume . A lot of the e-commerce front ends at the last few companies I have worked for rely on Mainframe back ends , albeit via a suitable mid-tier.

Anywho as far as being pissed as work is concerned , I have worked with some engineers who only really function with a slight beer buzz on , but they know where the line is and rarely trangress it.....

Munkfish

May 1, 2006

:clap: best advice yet, im lucky enough to have a shower room, that can be locked, if i ever have a hangover ill treat myself to a little nap on the floor in there for 15mins or so, generally doesnt help, but its bliss while it lasts, anyone asks, just blame it on a giant poo. :facepalm:

Marty McFly

Seagulls Over Canada
Aug 19, 2006
La Pêche, Quebec
Turned up ruined to an interview. I still got the job.

:clap: best advice yet, im lucky enough to have a shower room, that can be locked, if i ever have a hangover ill treat myself to a little nap on the floor in there for 15mins or so, generally doesnt help, but its bliss while it lasts, anyone asks, just blame it on a giant poo. :facepalm:

And there's always the sofas in B2 at lunch!

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
if i ever have a hangover ill treat myself to a little nap on the floor in there for 15mins or so

That's good work.

At one office I used to work at we ahad a store cupboard that only my company had access to. I've made a little bed out of boxes and foam a couple of times to get a sneaky 30 minute power nap

I can remember going to work on a Wednesday morning once having not been to bed at all after £1 a drink student night at the old Event. I was an emotional wreck and how I didn't end the day stabbing someone in the neck with a pen and/or bursting into tears I'll never know.

Never, ever again.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent

Yes indeed, they're just not as big now and I believe few are watercooled.

SirDouglasLoft

Jul 4, 2008
haven't actually gone into work pissed, but almost every Sunday i go in hungover.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I work for myself and although I only have to stroll into Arundel I seldom turn up pissed; it's not that I'm holier than thou I just have nobody else to blame if my hangover causes an issue!

porkypie

On the road to no where
Oct 31, 2009
Button Moon
i remember when a mate of mine ran a pub in rottingdean, we would walk out of there at 5 in the morning and go straight to work, the hang over would kick in about 10.30, i would struugle through till 1 o clock then have the afternoon off, my advice would be have a pint at lunch time!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here