Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Drones and phones in prisons

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Build the prisons in Cornwall. No chance of using a mobile phone then.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
The biggest hindrance to prison reform is the Secretary of State for Justice, Liz Truss

If there has ever been a more ineffective, lightweight Minister completely out of their depth and promoted to a position way above their level of competence then I've forgotten their name.

Strong leadership, a vision and the sheer will to see it through is what is required. Sadly, I wouldn't have faith in Liz Truss to run a bath - never mind get to grips with a failing justice system and a prison estate that is falling apart at the seams.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
They need to block on Wifi & Cellular its easily done. For staff create a private LTE network with their own phones on different frequencies. Government has no idea again

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
It would also not distinguish between prisoners and staff/visitors. For example, I imagine that quite a few visitors would need to order a taxi - how would they be able to do that if mobiles are blocked?

Landline (free if necessary) in the visitor's area?

A proportion of the public and news media consider it morally wrong to spend taxpayers' money on anything to do with prison, no matter what it is. Any politician who dares say otherwise will be wrung out to dry by elements in the Mail, Sun, Sport etc. However, the idea of 'throw away the key' works only if you never let anyone out again (unless they pass 'tests' of some sort). Meanwhile our prisons are little more than universities of crime, islamic fundamentalism, etc. Bonkers. If folk want prisons run on a low cost basis, no rehabilitation, no restriction on recruitment to death cults, little or no restriction on the flow of drugs, then folk need to face up to the fact that a great deal of what will be released at the end of the sentence will be human wreckage; it would make better sense, would it not, to execute most prisoners rather than lock them up for a bit and then let them loose? Or spend the necessary money. You decide.....

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Landline (free if necessary) in the visitor's area?

A proportion of the public and news media consider it morally wrong to spend taxpayers' money on anything to do with prison, no matter what it is. Any politician who dares say otherwise will be wrung out to dry by elements in the Mail, Sun, Sport etc. However, the idea of 'throw away the key' works only if you never let anyone out again (unless they pass 'tests' of some sort). Meanwhile our prisons are little more than universities of crime, islamic fundamentalism, etc. Bonkers. If folk want prisons run on a low cost basis, no rehabilitation, no restriction on recruitment to death cults, little or no restriction on the flow of drugs, then folk need to face up to the fact that a great deal of what will be released at the end of the sentence will be human wreckage; it would make better sense, would it not, to execute most prisoners rather than lock them up for a bit and then let them loose? Or spend the necessary money. You decide.....
I'd happily pay a lot more tax for a better health service, armed forces and criminal justice system. Providing it was ringfenced and spent wisely. Which it wouldn't be. So let's just carry on ignoring this epidemic like the politicians!

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
The biggest hindrance to prison reform is the Secretary of State for Justice, Liz Truss

If there has ever been a more ineffective, lightweight Minister completely out of their depth and promoted to a position way above their level of competence then I've forgotten their name.

Strong leadership, a vision and the sheer will to see it through is what is required. Sadly, I wouldn't have faith in Liz Truss to run a bath - never mind get to grips with a failing justice system and a prison estate that is falling apart at the seams.

Whatever you think of her, there is zero chance of anything effective being done, due to the huge cutbacks that the entire public sector has faced in recent years. I watched some Chief Constable blithering away on Crimewatch just now about why prosecutions for mobile phone use at the wheel have gone down. He fudged around talking about other outcomes and such like, when the reality is a major cut in police officer numbers, and particularly traffic officers. Similarly, the prison service will be in no position to make any significant improvements for years to come, because they're running on empty, with minimal staffing levels and increasing prisoner numbers.

Anything the government might say in terms of resolving the sort of issues raised by BG here is just spin, unless they're going to magic some spare prison officers up from the bottom of the bag.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
im pretty certain that jammers are illegal and am certain you cannot jam signals without interfering with many phones outside the intended area.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
I'd happily pay a lot more tax for a better health service, armed forces and criminal justice system. Providing it was ringfenced and spent wisely. Which it wouldn't be. So let's just carry on ignoring this epidemic like the politicians!
All well and good if you can afford it although let's be honest the government's spending is mostly down to mismanagement you'd think.
Booming economy and not a pot to piss in year after year....where's all the money???????

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
All well and good if you can afford it although let's be honest the government's spending is mostly down to mismanagement you'd think.
Booming economy and not a pot to piss in year after year....where's all the money???????
precisely. Which is why I'm only happy in theory because they would and do loss it up the wall as you say.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Whatever you think of her, there is zero chance of anything effective being done, due to the huge cutbacks that the entire public sector has faced in recent years. I watched some Chief Constable blithering away on Crimewatch just now about why prosecutions for mobile phone use at the wheel have gone down. He fudged around talking about other outcomes and such like, when the reality is a major cut in police officer numbers, and particularly traffic officers. Similarly, the prison service will be in no position to make any significant improvements for years to come, because they're running on empty, with minimal staffing levels and increasing prisoner numbers.

Anything the government might say in terms of resolving the sort of issues raised by BG here is just spin, unless they're going to magic some spare prison officers up from the bottom of the bag.

spot on Edna

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here