Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Driving to the Valley

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
unless you like hour and a half through traffic lights, definatly go round the M25 and up the A2.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
If you think 2 changes on the train is hassle, just wait till you try driving to SE7, and then parking :nono:

Aug 21, 2006
Royal Arsenal
Thanks, thought this would be the route, despite the extra miles. Is there much street parking?

from a website:

Parking:

Previously parking was severely restricted around The Valley due to the area being a controlled parking zone to prevent people visiting the Millennium Dome parking around there however the closure of the dome may have changed this. It is still advisable to get there early. The map abpve shows the best areas to park around The Valley. If you arrive around an hour and a half before kick off, you will be able to get a free spot. Otherwise there is a car park which charges £5 but always has spaces.

Best Parking Spots

Whenever i go to a home game we normally park in Rathmore Road but it does get busy fast. If you do get to the ground early you can normally get a Free spot in the streets close to the car park. Sometimes i have managed to park near Inverine Road for free - you just need to be early. Its the same for all the street around the ground. Use the map above to see the best free spots.

http://www.charltonathletic-mad.co.uk/news/loadsngl.asp?cid=ED23

Crikey, just read this and it is a bit out of date, so may be best to ingore it - or get the train, it is a dead easy journey, two changes, or not.

Last edited:

HackneyMan

Sep 21, 2010
unless you like hour and a half through traffic lights, definatly go round the M25 and up the A2.

Agreed this is the route to take.

Take the A2 turn-off ( Lewisham ) on the M25 thats two exits after the "A21 Bromley" and the one after "Sidcup"...

On the A2 travel towards London and come off at Blackheath which is around 7 exits and 8/9 miles from the M25 turn-off.

Best to look it up from there but the parking near the ground has been typically London "Residents Only" so best of luck with the parking.

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
We drove last year and parked opposite the station and it was fine. Had to wait for 10 mins in the car for the police to open the road and it took a while to get out of the imediate area but you would expect that if you drove to any Football ground.

So ... if you drive, you will set off with no idea about how long it will take you to find a parking space (if at all) and no idea how much walking will be involved. You may well be delayed (for an indeterminate time) by traffic queues, on the way and when you get close to the parking space that you think might be available - although the queues are telling you different.

If you go by train, you will have to change trains twice. Each change takes place with a short walk (anywhere between 3 yards and 150 yards, if you find yourself at London Bridge). And there are people on hand to advise you, loudspeaker announcements to help, and signs to tell you exactly what to do.

Hassle? Yeah. Avoid it.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I drove last year and parked in a car park about ten minutes walk from the ground. It really was no problem at all.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Agreed this is the route to take.

Take the A2 turn-off ( Lewisham ) on the M25 thats two exits after the "A21 Bromley" and the one after "Sidcup"...

On the A2 travel towards London and come off at Blackheath which is around 7 exits and 8/9 miles from the M25 turn-off.

Best to look it up from there but the parking near the ground has been typically London "Residents Only" so best of luck with the parking.

there are lots of non residents only parking around the ground especially east side of charlton church lane. there are also quite a few industrial units that side that open up off the woolwich road for parking for a fiver on the day. you can also park in sainsburys/b&q car park if you buy something.

parking round the valley is a piece of piss if you have your wits about you.

So ... if you drive, you will set off with no idea about how long it will take you to find a parking space (if at all) and no idea how much walking will be involved. You may well be delayed (for an indeterminate time) by traffic queues, on the way and when you get close to the parking space that you think might be available - although the queues are telling you different.

If you go by train, you will have to change trains twice. Each change takes place with a short walk (anywhere between 3 yards and 150 yards, if you find yourself at London Bridge). And there are people on hand to advise you, loudspeaker announcements to help, and signs to tell you exactly what to do.

Hassle? Yeah. Avoid it.

Maybe hassle wrong word. Got 3 kids with me - they got a load of 'mum' gear in the car I dont care to carry - also lucky enough to have company fuel, as opposed to I guess £30+ for the train....

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
there are lots of non residents only parking around the ground especially east side of charlton church lane. there are also quite a few industrial units that side that open up off the woolwich road for parking for a fiver on the day. you can also park in sainsburys/b&q car park if you buy something.

parking round the valley is a piece of piss if you have your wits about you.

I parked in one of those industrial units I think, as you say it was a piece of piss. Much easier than places like Brentford/QPR where parking on street is all metered and car parks are scarce.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here