Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Drinks break each half of games wtf

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I can only assume it's linked to this:

If they are not allowed to spit or clear their throat, they will require an extra break to try and wash down the extra build up of mucus.

Perhaps players could get their mums to sew a little pocket inside their shorts to keep a hankie in case they need to blow their nose?

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Whats your problem with this?

Its 45 mins . Hydrate before and then there isnt a need is there plus as someone else said , var stops etc can grab a drink if need too.

I'm by no means a top level athlete but even I can do hard exercise for an hour in the midday heat without the need to take on fluid.

Just another interruption to the game which people have said rightly is great as it ebbs and flows. Added to the VAR and its a big no from me.

Adverts in these breaks the next step and this makes it an easier jump to do it.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
The greatest thing about football is how the game flows. It is not bogged down by multiple restarts because of a plethora of scoring events, it is not halted by time outs, no need for wasting time creating line out and scrums (there is other time wasting I know), the game is not broken up into quarters blah, blah, blah.

Rugby, both codes, American Football and Aussie rules are high scoring games where each point has very little significance, but the flow is constantly disrupted and brought back to the middle. The beauty of soccer is watching the game ebb and flow with as little interruption as possible. This is being eroded by constant petty rule changes of which this is just another addition.

I think this is one of the biggest misconceptions in football. I think it was a few years back but there was a study that confirmed that a 90-minute football match consists of only 47 minutes and 40 seconds of actual football. Time wasting is a far bigger issue that a 1 minute drinks break.

Zaha alone spends 25 minutes a game getting "treatment"

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
As long as it's a temporary measure due to the summer, I suppose it's tolerable.

I agree with anyone who has been saying that it should do quite possible to play in hot weather for 45 mins and neither need to drink, or to gob everywhere.

In any case it's the British summer, it will probably not get much over 16c and will be most likely overcast and windy

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Ok thanks but if they have used their three slots but not used all their subs and a player goes down? Do they finish with 10?

In that situation you would play the rest of the game with 10 players. You get three chances to make upto 5 subs, if you don’t make all 5 over those three then you accept the risk involved. It will be interesting to see how clubs implement the new rules, I reckon we might see a few clubs trying 2 lots of double subs saving 1 change to cover for a late injury, or some time wasting during time added on.

jamie (not that one)

NSC Patron
May 3, 2012
Valencia
Was a bit odd seeing it in the Bilbao/Atleti game the other day with it only being 21c in Bilbao, but really didn't make much of a difference to the flow of the game. Not exactly likely to get end to end football with a Simeone team anyway.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
With 5 substitutions for both sides and two water breaks we're going to be not far off the whole thing taking 2 hours to complete.

I understand that the average time the ball is in play is c. 62 mins, so maybe the game isn't as fast-flowing as people think.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
With 5 substitutions for both sides and two water breaks we're going to be not far off the whole thing taking 2 hours to complete.

I understand that the average time the ball is in play is c. 62 mins, so maybe the game isn't as fast-flowing as people think.

I think this is one of the biggest misconceptions in football. I think it was a few years back but there was a study that confirmed that a 90-minute football match consists of only 47 minutes and 40 seconds of actual football. Time wasting is a far bigger issue that a 1 minute drinks break.

Zaha alone spends 25 minutes a game getting "treatment"

it will be interesting to see if playing time increases as the players haven't got the crowd to play up to, I'm sure I saw that the German games played so far had seen a substantial increase in playing time as time spent on goal celebrations, ref badgering, rolling around on the floor pretending to have been maimed were all substantially down

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Its 45 mins . Hydrate before and then there isnt a need is there plus as someone else said , var stops etc can grab a drink if need too.

I'm by no means a top level athlete but even I can do hard exercise for an hour in the midday heat without the need to take on fluid.

Just another interruption to the game which people have said rightly is great as it ebbs and flows. Added to the VAR and its a big no from me.

Adverts in these breaks the next step and this makes it an easier jump to do it.

It's very different for top-level athletes though.

It's 20+ years ago, but from what I remember from uni studies, high-performance athletes lose more water than you probably think (just looked it up - 3-4 litres per hour) and dehydration has noticeable negative effects on performance (physical & mental) and increases blood viscosity, which increases the risk of a heart attack.
You might not notice any difference during your hour's hard exercise in the midday sun, but in professional sport, a drop in performance by a couple/few percent is noticeable and costly (and injuries are more likely when dehydrated). It's also unrealistic to take on significant amounts of extra water before you start (even half of what you need will be uncomfortable and leave you needing a piss!). Granted, the likelihood is that there are enough breaks in play already for players to take on water, but what if there isn't...? I'd imagine the driver behind this is player health/safety (albeit with a bit of commercial opportunity thrown in), so they won't want to leave it to chance.

I'd rather some of the other annoying breaks / disruption to the flow were sorted out instead of stopping something that makes sense to look after the health & performance levels of the players.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here