Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
Hope things are going ok John .

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
I have also given up the drink, was drinking at least 1 bottle of wine a night or 6 cans of lager, have now gone 8 days without a drop!! Saturday was difficult, but I avoided the pub before the game and had a bovril at half time. Can't remember the last time I went over a week without any alcohol, that is scary !!

Feel much better in myself and have more money in my pocket !!

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
I have also given up the drink, was drinking at least 1 bottle of wine a night or 6 cans of lager, have now gone 8 days without a drop!! Saturday was difficult, but I avoided the pub before the game and had a bovril at half time. Can't remember the last time I went over a week without any alcohol, that is scary !!

Feel much better in myself and have more money in my pocket !!

:thumbsup:

Drunk pretty much the same...although only ale as all wine tastes like vinegar to me. Used to drink 4-8 cans a night no problems then blow £40 on a friday afternoon in the pub.

Haven't touched a drop since new years eve (9 weeks today) and i feel bloody fab. I used to get pains where my liver is....but not any more. Might have the odd night in the future where i have a few pints of Harveys...but on the other hand, quite enjoy my cup of tea in the evenings now !!!!

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Well done for tackling the problem..

One day at a time and all that....

Best of luck mate

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Baclofen. I keep banging on about it but here's the deal. I used to work for a big generic pharmaceutical manufacturer, we happened to be a major supplier of addiction related products. We came across a study from the states which claimed Baclofen had a remarkable " cure" rate for addiction to cocaine. This effect was discovered when a cocaine addict who happened to develop MS was prescribed Baclofen as a muscle relaxant to ease his spasms...he was suddenly cured of his addiction by accident.

Small studies began to look at Baclofen for other addictions (alcohol and heroin in the main) and, once again Baclofen achieved remarkable abstinence rates compared to placebo ( studies are available on the net). There was a french cardiologist who took a great interest in this as he was a secret alcoholic and was voluntarily stopping his clinical practice because his shakes and constant craving were putting his patients at risk. In desperation he decided to self prescribe Baclofen and titrated his dose upwards until, as if by a miracle, his cravings and constant anxiety were resolved. He claimed that this very safe generic drug was the cure for alcoholism. He wrote a book "the last glass" which was a massive best seller in his native France. He can now drink socially without the cravings and abandonment this once caused...remarkable? I tried it, it worked a miracle for me. Haven't drunk for two years. Haven't missed it. I still take 30mg of Baclofen when I am about to go into a drinking environment for work or similar. I am cured.

We came to this via one of the UKs leading addiction doctors who was interested in a study in the UK and asked us to support it. We did. We found that this drug was indeed the cure for alcohol dependency and began to look at ways to extend its licence from a muscle relaxant to include addiction based on our study results (100% cure rate). We didn't pursue it in the end... Why? Because our study would mean that every other manufacturer of generic Baclofen would claim equivalence and, suddenly, our investment in gaining a licence extension would benefit everyone else...there was simply no money in it.

So. A drug that seems to be capable of curing alcoholism, which is a huge burden on healthcare, not to mention causes a miserable existence for sufferers and their loved ones, will never be available unless a GP is prepared to prescribe it "off indication" which most will not, the only recourse is for the desperate to buy it from the Internet.

I was lucky. I was an alcoholic when we were studying it...I started to buy it online when I saw the results we got.

Anyone interested can PM me in total confidence.

Bad Ash

Unregistered User
Jul 18, 2003
Housewares
Baclofen.

This sounds even more appealing when you read Wikipedia: Baclofen is sometimes abused for its euphoric properties.

Until it then goes on to say: The main danger of recreational use is high risk of overdose which may cause coma, hypothermia, bradycardia, hypertension, and hyporeflexia.

Lovecake

Jul 23, 2011
You can't solve an addiction with another drug. It's not sensible. Lifestyle change is what's needed.

Keep it up fur cough. Sounds to me like if you keep this up for a while you'll notice a huge difference. I'd definitely try to exercise a couple of times a week too - if your achilles tendon is dodgy try swimming. Best of luck

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
You can't solve an addiction with another drug. It's not sensible. Lifestyle change is what's needed.

Keep it up fur cough. Sounds to me like if you keep this up for a while you'll notice a huge difference. I'd definitely try to exercise a couple of times a week too - if your achilles tendon is dodgy try swimming. Best of luck

I would have said the same a few years ago. It's true with things like methadone for damn sure. The fact is that Baclofen allows alcoholics to cease drinking immediately and offers them the space they need to address the underlying issues.

I would suggest that you look at the clinical evidence before assuming you are right on this.

getreal1

Aug 13, 2008
People banging on about drink on this board is about as interesting as the threads going on about the contents of the club's pies. We've had a plethora of these in the past few seasons. Maybe there are things other than drink to do outside work/football? A bit tongue in cheek but deadly serious, Durlston's post earlier today nails it. He recognises it is down to him, doesn't make excuses, and pushes himself forward. All credit to him.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Failed.

Pissed. Breaking strain of a soggy Kit Kat.

Start again tomorrow.

Bollocks.

No you have not failed at all, a mere relapse and to be fair you did very well so just accept a set back and start again.

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
thank you, but finished work and straight on t, could ot help myself.

feeling very sorry for myself right now.

Don't get upset Furk, start again tomorrow and take it gradually.
Be positive !!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports