Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Drinking problem

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Step 1 done then.

Doctors yesterday and told him how much I was drinking, also that I think it is becoming (or has become) a problem.
I'm not an alcoholic or alcohol dependent apparently (which is nice to know) as I go all day at work without thinking about a drink until I finish.
Liver function test booked, scary shit.
Just one pint last night as opposed to five, supplemented with two litres of Blueberry juice, heartburn central. I did open a can at home but after one swig poured it down the sink.

A question for anyone who is the same, it appears to me that it's the thought of not having a drink that scares me more than actually not having one (well only one pint) is this the same and how long will it last?

Regards

Take each day at a time, try not to think ahead and well done a very positive start.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Thank you Uncle, but if truth be told I feel about as far away from being a "real man" as is possible right now.

The fact I've got myself into this position in the first place makes me feel very vunerable.

Don't beat yourself up mate. We are all only Human after all. It take's a great amount of courage to show any vunerability and ask for advise especially on here. I know this. You have faced your Demons to better yourself and your family and for that you ARE a Man. It takes someone with balls to do this. Keep us posted and good luck.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
It's a matter of ongoing [scientific] debate. The public guideline for alcohol consumption is ridiculously low to cover their own backsides, so you are naive to assume that it is scientific consensus.

A general understanding is that your liver breaks down around 1 unit of alcohol per hour - so your liver would process a couple of glasses of red wine with a meal with ease and have plenty of time to "recover", it's reasonable to say that this routine would have no detrimental effects your health, in fact the opposite.

Sadly still complete guff, though we would all prefer it to be true.

I follow the Mary Poppins adage that "a change is as good as a rest - so fully expect to be very healthy as yesterday I drank a bottle of red and had a spliff, whereas today I'm drinking guiness extra and having a marlboro. Tomorrow I'll smoke a pipe and do flaming sambuccas because my health is important to me.

Fur Cough

2 days in and I feel like shit, both nights sweating and unable to sleep and my insides seem to be throbbing.

Robinsons summer fruits squash seems to have given me toothache too, which is nice.

Deep joy.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
2 days in and I feel like shit, both nights sweating and unable to sleep and my insides seem to be throbbing.

Robinsons summer fruits squash seems to have given me toothache too, which is nice.

Deep joy.

Can I recommend Roses Lime Juice Cordial... drunk in pints for very cold water?

Stick with it FC. :thumbsup:

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean

Deep joy.

Stay strong fella, the withdrawal won't last for ever. Bet your family are extremely proud of you for your efforts so far :)

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Keep going fella, try some things you've never thought to try before. The wife is on a detox and has been trying Bottle Green Ginger & Lemon Grass cordial (Sainsburys) it makes a change from the normal.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton

Deep joy.

I found that a pint of lime cordial, sparkling water and ice was the best substitute for a beer personally. It was less sweet than squash and took longer to drink - which made it feel more like a "drink".

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Of course it's not my "Friend" hence the reason I put Friend in " "

Tried to give it up, can't. Asked for advice on here knowing there would be others.

Join a gym and go at least 4 times a week. Set a target of wieght you want to lose and weigh yourself at the gym every day before and after your workout. You will soon get addicted to it and won't even bother with the booze. Concentrate on cardio work; cycling, nordic stepper, rowing and treadmill. Keep a towel with you to wipe up the pools of sweat!
Good luck

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

Deep joy.

Keep going, and don't ever lose sight of why you wanted to make a change in the first place. One day at a time, that's all you can do.

Good luck, FC.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Very true.

I crept up from a couple of glasses of red a day to a bottle a day without being aware of the damage it was doing. Last time I had my blood checked the doc noticed an increase in the gamma levels,and asked if I had increased my alcohol. That extra couple of glasses a day was impacting on my liver function.

So I started by having a couple of days a week off the wine,then started dropping whole weeks,and now it's maybe two bottles a month and nothing in-between.

My problem was buying a bottle with my morning paper,therefore always having a supply in the house. Stopping drinking was easy when I was determined to stop. I had the same experience with smoking years ago...you can only stop when you really want to.The time as to be right.

It is undeniably true that the only way to stop smoking or drinking is to stop. I know it sounds flippant but you have to STOP. Maybe only stop drinking for 3 or 4 days a week butas far as smoking is concerned just STOP. You can do it.

Fur Cough

Can I recommend Roses Lime Juice Cordial... drunk in pints for very cold water?

:

I found that a pint of lime cordial, sparkling water and ice was the best substitute for a beer personally.".

fizzy water and lime juice is refreshing for a bit of a change!.

Keep going Fur it will be worth it.

100% this, I find when I am craving a beer a fizzy water and lime helps massively.

Top tip that gents. Thank you.

No sweats last night, feel like a different person this morning. Up early and already more productive.

Weekend looming which is a bit scary but although I know I will have a few pints that's all it will be, a few.

Ta.

Willy Dangle

Aug 31, 2011
Good people of NSC,

I have a "Friend" who is a triffle worried about his drinking. "He" is so bored with his life that drinking every night has become the normal thing to do, a way of numbing the, well Normal.

This "Friend" is mid fourties, overweight, f***ed achillies tendon and smokes heavily.

Any advice?

Keep your mind busy and active. I for example have just bought a 2nd hand bike and I am spending the evenings rebuilding it. I am also using the gym of an evening and it is all working for me. Although it does take self discipline. Hope your friend breaks the viscous circle, I think I know him.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Top tip that gents. Thank you.

No sweats last night, feel like a different person this morning. Up early and already more productive.

Weekend looming which is a bit scary but although I know I will have a few pints that's all it will be, a few.

Ta.

Nice one.

Putting things into perspective. All I did was give up beer for a month. I don't drink a lot by any means, but it was getting to the stage where I was having 3 pints on a Thursday, maybe 4-5 on a Friday, the same on a Saturday then the cans from the weekend end up getting drunk during the week...

I can't claim to imagine how hard it is for you. But I've found that with anything really, it's about how it makes you feel when you succeed. You'll get such a buzz when you realise that you've cracked it that you'll not want to go back to what you were drinking.

Keep going!

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
I was an alcoholic a few years ago - I couldn't go through a day without at least four pints or a small bottle of vodka. That in turn led me into becoming hooked on cocaine; once I started I craved the drug and would phone up dealers even if it was late at night. I had to address my problems and coming off drinking led me into diazepam addiction by the doctors. It was all so depressing. I'd started drinking or taking drugs to make me feel good and then I had to use things to stop me feeling bad! Horrible. I thought there was only one way out of it sometimes but with a supportive family I'm conquering my demons.

Addaction helped me a bit but the only person that can really do it is yourself. I know it's an old cliche. Set yourself some goals - realistic ones that will lead you to cutting down or becoming teetotal. It won't happen overnight. For me now, everyday is a blessing and I try and get the best out of it.

Best of luck, Fur Cough. You can do it mate. Stay strong. :thumbsup:

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Keep up the progress mate. Massive strides already made.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here