Drinking in the USA.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
very very very

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
well it depends where but i've heard in new york is near on impossible to get into any kind of semi-decent club

parks

Jan 17, 2004
East Sussex
Seriously:

The legal age for alcohol in the USA is 21 years old. The National Minimum Drinking Age Act of1984 required all states to raise their minimum purchase and public possession of alcohol age to 21. States that did not comply faced a reduction in highway funds under the Federal Highway Aid Act. The U.S. Department of Transportation has determined that all states are in compliance with this act. The national law specifically prohibits purchase and public possession of alcoholic beverages. It does not prohibit persons under 21 (also called youth or minors) from drinking. The term "public possession" is strictly defined and does not apply to possession for the following:

An established religious purpose, when accompanied by a parent, spouse or legal guardian age 21 or older
Medical purposes when prescribed or administered by a licensed physician, pharmacist, dentist, nurse, hospital or medical institution
In private clubs or establishments
In the course of lawful employment by a duly licensed manufacturer, wholesaler or retailer

Hope useful.

Parks

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
If the number of teenagers I teach who turn up Monday morning hung over is anything to go by, it's not difficult at all. :drink: :drink:

But then, they're drinking at friends' houses, and all they need is one person with a fake ID, or a cashier or clerk who knows them, and Bob's your (drunken) uncle.

Bars and clubs may well be a different story.

Unless they're bragging about the drinking, and actually have the flu....

Crazy Cornish Gal

Dec 26, 2003
Brighton
Springal said:
well it depends where but i've heard in new york is near on impossible to get into any kind of semi-decent club

It's not just getting in (it is id EVERYWHERE no excuse), it's the cost. Most places have a cover charge to get in and then if you can get served, the cost of alcohol is ridiculous. No wonder they don't really drink that much.

Crazy Cornish Gal

Dec 26, 2003
Brighton
Citrus in Sheffield said:
Cheers guys. I will have to consider Canada instead! :ohmy:

Now that's an idea, I really want to go there

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
Nothing wrong with Canada at all!

Damn straight. Buggers aren't taking applications, either.

I would love to live in the southernmost, warmest, and most populous of the Maritimes, instead of a small, cold, and impoverished state stuck on the arse end of I-95.

Crazy Cornish Gal

Dec 26, 2003
Brighton
Citrus in Sheffield said:
Cheers guys. I will have to consider Canada instead! :ohmy:

Now that's an idea, I really want to go there

opps sorry posted twice :shootself

Last edited:

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Most of the kiddies there have fake ID's. Get one and you will have no problem.

I met a 15 year old swedish girl in a club in Miami, over the summer!:drink:

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
In New York clubs I still get asked for ID in my 40s.

But in bars where there's no one on the door it's more like in Britain - if you look old enough you probably won't get challenged.

Isn't the age limit lower in some states anyway - used to be 19 in some places?

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
I was in the States in 2005, and mostly had no problems, apart from one supermarket in San Diego, California.

I tired to buy two bottles of wine with my shopping. I produced my passport and UK driving licence as two forms of photographic ID. I was 37 years old at the time.

However the shop would not serve me because my ID did not show my weight and height. No amount of reasoning with the manager would change their stance.

It was without doubt the most moronic episode of licensing laws I've ever come across. No doubt I could have walked into the shop next door and bought a gun no problem, but two bottles of wine to a 37 year old - nah.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here