Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Drinking and hang overs

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Other than the boring stuff about drinking less, or interspersing alcoholic ones with non-alcoholic ones? No.

Best advice I can think of is to have a bottle or two of some sort of isotonic drink, like Lucozade Sport, on the side for when you get in after a session. Alcohol dehydrates you, and I believe reduces your salt levels accordingly (hence headaches, cramp and so on). Drinking a load of plain water when you get in won't necessarily resolve this, as it merely dilutes your salt levels further. I try and knock back one of said bottles of isotonic stuff after a few drinks, as they're designed to replenish lost salt and STUFF. Works for me :thumbsup:

Life is cruel though. I think it was when I got to about thirty five that I noticed hangovers were suddenly becoming more painful. Painful enough to make me change drinking habits considerably.

This indeed, I'm 46 and if I go out and have a heavy one it takes upto three days for me to completely recover, I've also noticed a distinct lack of chundering as I've got older in fact I can't remember when I was last up chucked as a result of a session!

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
don't mind the odd piss up but as I have got older I've found I have many, many more things I'd rather be doing than moping around with a hangover and the shits from a night out. When I think of the days I wasted in my 20's unable to move from being hungover, it genuinely makes me cringe.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
RU21 tablets are awesome. I haven't used them for years because they stopped selling them, don't know why. But this thread made me do a search and I found them on sale! I thoroughly tested them on one session that started after work at 5pm, went on all evening with beer, back to a mates house and drunk a bottle of Vodka. Absolutely fine in the morning! :D

The story goes that these tablets were used by the KGB in interrogations to get their suspects drunk but they found that they only stopped them getting hangovers.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8...qmt=e&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_7vz4j2pa9k_e

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
Good advice, but....

how-to-avoid-hangover-letter-from-drunk-self-steven-davidson-1a.jpg

that is very funny

on a serious note .... it is extremely toxic to mix alcohol with paracetamol, ibuprofen etc.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
don't mind the odd piss up but as I have got older I've found I have many, many more things I'd rather be doing than moping around with a hangover and the shits from a night out. When I think of the days I wasted in my 20's unable to move from being hungover, it genuinely makes me cringe.

If ever there is an example of you getting older, you have totally ignored the enhanced absolute fun and laughter that the night before alcohol had delivered, you seem to have nearly erased it from your life timeline, shame on you .......

I am middle aged and still enjoy a few beers, sometimes too many and rarely none at all and I can honestly say in moments of happy memories that randomly come into my head, are from a previous younger alcohol enhanced experience with friends, family, etc. even the happy proud sober moments are usually quickly celebrated with a beer or two.

The hangovers are distant unremembered moments that are totally trumped by the previous fun time, lighten up NSC responsible and sometimes moreso irresponsible drinking is worth the pain.

By the way, for me lots of orange juice and mineral water and sleep, lots and lots of sleep, no short cuts, the hangover will not abate until approx. 5.00pm maybe 6.00pm .......................

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Other than the boring stuff about drinking less, or interspersing alcoholic ones with non-alcoholic ones? No.

Best advice I can think of is to have a bottle or two of some sort of isotonic drink, like Lucozade Sport, on the side for when you get in after a session. Alcohol dehydrates you, and I believe reduces your salt levels accordingly (hence headaches, cramp and so on). Drinking a load of plain water when you get in won't necessarily resolve this, as it merely dilutes your salt levels further. I try and knock back one of said bottles of isotonic stuff after a few drinks, as they're designed to replenish lost salt and STUFF. Works for me :thumbsup:

Life is cruel though. I think it was when I got to about thirty five that I noticed hangovers were suddenly becoming more painful. Painful enough to make me change drinking habits considerably.
If you can remember to drink a bottle of lucozade sport when you get in then you haven't drunk NEARLY enough alcohol !

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
that is very funny

on a serious note .... it is extremely toxic to mix alcohol with paracetamol, ibuprofen etc.

I was about to say this. I used to take an ibuprofen after drinking, but then I read some articles saying it can cause serious (and sometimes permanent) damage to your digestive system.

For some reason I seem to get worse hangovers if I only have a couple of beers rather than if I have 5 or 6. Not sure what that is all about.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley

They actually tested this on that programme with the identical twin doctors. One had five pints of lager, the other five pints of water. The one who drank the water actually piddled slightly more, so they reckon the dehydration is an old myth based on the fact that a) you seem to have to wee a lot when you drink (obviously you do, as you're taking on a lot of liquid) and b) the hangover makes your brain and mouth feel like they've dried out, when in fact it is just an effect of alcohol's breakdown products.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
They actually tested this on that programme with the identical twin doctors. One had five pints of lager, the other five pints of water. The one who drank the water actually piddled slightly more, so they reckon the dehydration is an old myth based on the fact that a) you seem to have to wee a lot when you drink (obviously you do, as you're taking on a lot of liquid) and b) the hangover makes your brain and mouth feel like they've dried out, when in fact it is just an effect of alcohol's breakdown products.

it's when you have the hangover that you're dehydrated, you can tell by colour when you pee

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
Eating food at the end of the night can be a life saver. Having a buster at the diner at the end of the evening has saved me on many occasions.With extreme hangovers, if you really really need to get up and go out despite the fact that you're still puking every where, having a cold shower can sort you enough so you can go and do whatever is you need to. But it is an awful experience when hungover and I'd only do this if i was desperate.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
If ever there is an example of you getting older, you have totally ignored the enhanced absolute fun and laughter that the night before alcohol had delivered, you seem to have nearly erased it from your life timeline, shame on you .......

I am middle aged and still enjoy a few beers, sometimes too many and rarely none at all and I can honestly say in moments of happy memories that randomly come into my head, are from a previous younger alcohol enhanced experience with friends, family, etc. even the happy proud sober moments are usually quickly celebrated with a beer or two.

The hangovers are distant unremembered moments that are totally trumped by the previous fun time, lighten up NSC responsible and sometimes moreso irresponsible drinking is worth the pain.

By the way, for me lots of orange juice and mineral water and sleep, lots and lots of sleep, no short cuts, the hangover will not abate until approx. 5.00pm maybe 6.00pm .......................

I said I cringe at the hangovers, not the amazing drunken fun. Chill.

Last edited:

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
My issue isn't the hang overs which I cope with fine. Worse for me is the terrible sleep I have after moderate to excessive drinking. This is a fairly new phenomenon that's grown since my mid thirties. If I got to bed by midnight after drinking I wake up about 3am & can't sleep again until 6am, meaning I am knackered & drinking on a school night isn't advisable - any tips (other valis or mazzies etc)

Thanks

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
My issue isn't the hang overs which I cope with fine. Worse for me is the terrible sleep I have after moderate to excessive drinking. This is a fairly new phenomenon that's grown since my mid thirties. If I got to bed by midnight after drinking I wake up about 3am & can't sleep again until 6am, meaning I am knackered & drinking on a school night isn't advisable - any tips (other valis or mazzies etc)

Thanks

This. Wrecks me for the following day.
Personally I think anyone over the age of 35 getting regularly shitfaced and suffering hangovers 2 or 3 times a week probably has a problem and is definitely somewhat sad.

WoodyOwl

Mar 10, 2016
Worthing
When you drink your glass/pint of water before bed throw a sachet of Dioralyte or similar rehydration powder in, helps replace the salts etc and tastes alright aswell!

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
This. Wrecks me for the following day.
Personally I think anyone over the age of 35 getting regularly shitfaced and suffering hangovers 2 or 3 times a week probably has a problem and is definitely somewhat sad.

My horrible young children are preparing me nicely for this very little, intermittent sleep thing you mention. Perfect training.

In reality, the advice in this thread is spot on, you either need to dilute with non-alcoholic liquids and food (this just keeps you less drunk though, so has its own risks), or try to prevent the pain when you get in by drinking some sports drinks before bed (it's not just salt, it's actually your electrolyte balance). But I suspect most of us are like drink Steve. By the time you get beyond the point of no return, all the advice goes out the window.

My favourite relief is meeting up with my mates again the morning after, sharing your misery and recounting the nights events is almost as much fun as the night itself. :)

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
My horrible young children are preparing me nicely for this very little, intermittent sleep thing you mention. Perfect training.

In reality, the advice in this thread is spot on, you either need to dilute with non-alcoholic liquids and food (this just keeps you less drunk though, so has its own risks), or try to prevent the pain when you get in by drinking some sports drinks before bed (it's not just salt, it's actually your electrolyte balance). But I suspect most of us are like drink Steve. By the time you get beyond the point of no return, all the advice goes out the window.

My favourite relief is meeting up with my mates again the morning after, sharing your misery and recounting the nights events is almost as much fun as the night itself. :)

I've 2 kids under 8 so should be well trained. It used to be OK but with them is as I get back to sleep, it's time to get up!

Guilty at not rehydrating before sleeping. Often have eaten (kebab wrapper tells me I have)

& hair of the dog is the best cure. 2 drinks & you're fixed

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Down a pint of water in one when at the bar ordering another round. Do that a couple of times and you will be on the right side of a hangover. No need to pay me or the barman for this

THIS.

Started employing this method when at weddings/all day events when the amount you drink can really get away from you. It has such a positive impact, not only on how hungover you get, but also how drunk you end up getting.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

Thanks

my theory is that when younger we drink when partying or generally being active of an evening. getting older, we drink, get home go to bed having just consumed a large amount of carbohydrate that the body wants to burn off. so a restless night follows. cure for this is to not go to bed too early after a session, or some exercise. walk instead of a cab home for example.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here