Downsides to Poyet? - Sunderland fan here

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
one word in there I don't like reportedly
reported by who

and no comment from the club?
I have always said and you can look at any post I have made about this fiasco, I don't TRUST any of them including Gus
just would like a little fairness and maybe the truth and to be quite honest this fence is beginning to hurt a little and now I'm not the only one on here its likely to collapse

I'm not the only one even on this thread to have mentioned your pro-Gus bias. Perhaps you aren't aware of how it comes across but from where I'm sitting you're nowhere near the fence on this issue.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I think that is semantics. Given that Tony Bloom told a fan's forum that no money was put aside for compensation, given it's been very widely reported in newspapers and legal press across the country, given that Redman's reporting is more detailed with a lot more information than the Argus quote so in all likelihood a different source, given that Poyet's lawyers were the ones who used ambiguous wording to describe the end of Poyet's claim against dismissal and their very aggressive defence against negative comments re Poyet and his reputation even here on NSC.

The last point especially. As Watford Zero said, no compensation suggests he was guilty of gross misconduct. If that wasn't the case his lawyers would have been all over the reports like a ton of bricks.

I think we can take it as read that the many reports are true.

Brilliant. Now let's worry about our financial losses, and consign Gus to Albion history where he belongs.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
I'm not the only one even on this thread to have mentioned your pro-Gus bias. Perhaps you aren't aware of how it comes across but from where I'm sitting you're nowhere near the fence on this issue.

I just don't like unfairness
I do like the truth
I trust very few people

I have never said any different

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
I thought he had denied it!

"I had an opportunity to leave for a Premiership club. Everything was agreed. I was given permission to talk to the club. They made me an unbelievable offer - very difficult to refuse and I was loyal."

"I was loyal to the club and I decided to stay. So how you can explain that somebody says to you they want to leave and a week later got the chance to go to a Premiership club with a better deal, with a better project and stays. It's not common sense that's for sure."

I'd tend to agree with you about Reading and wasn't really surprised that he didn't take the job - he has however essentially denied that he made the alleged phone call to TB in March of last year.

He doesn't actually deny making that alleged phone call though, does he? It would have been very simple just to deny it ever took place. But he doesn't. He paints a story about why somebody could believe it wouldn't have happened. A story that also attempts to demonstrate his loyalty to Brighton.

So why didn't he take the Reading job? Tanno gave us that answer back on April 2nd:-

I thought it was pretty simple. We’ve got a long-term contract and no disrespect to Reading — but it was Reading.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
He doesn't actually deny making that alleged phone call though, does he? It would have been very simple just to deny it ever took place. But he doesn't. He paints a story about why somebody could believe it wouldn't have happened. A story that also attempts to demonstrate his loyalty to Brighton.

So why didn't he take the Reading job? Tanno gave us that answer back on April 2nd:-

Read it how you like he CERTAINLY doesn't admit making it

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
But then, you don't agree with my support of club over Gus, so what you posted doesn't in any way surprise me.

I don't agree you know anything of substance other than what the voices in your head tell you

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004

But even if he was in the right would he get any compensation as he'd taken a new job.
Were we paying his wages throughtout the disciplinary process?
Because surely my taking the Sunderland job, he wouldn't be due any more compensation as he was in job?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
He has an apparent weakness whereby if you don't increase his playing budget by 40% year on year he will throw a wobbly and leave :angel: allegedly

Last edited:

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
For me, the only negatives throughout Gus' time with us are

1) He was a bit of a media whore who was constantly talking about Chelsea, Tottenham, miscellaneous EPL issues.
2) The puzzling post-match comments after the playoff semi and the fallout from that. 'Have we hit the roof-gate' etc.

But he is undoubtedly a dedicated and passionate manager who got the best out of our players and transformed this club. Albion legend.

This 100%

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
But even if he was in the right would he get any compensation as he'd taken a new job.
Were we paying his wages throughtout the disciplinary process?
Because surely my taking the Sunderland job, he wouldn't be due any more compensation as he was in job?

He would be, even after taking another job. Standard contract/employment law is that if one party breaks the contract unfairly then the other party can claim compensation.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
For me, the only negatives throughout Gus' time with us are

1) He was a bit of a media whore who was constantly talking about Chelsea, Tottenham, miscellaneous EPL issues.
2) The puzzling post-match comments after the playoff semi and the fallout from that. 'Have we hit the roof-gate' etc.

But he is undoubtedly a dedicated and passionate manager who got the best out of our players and transformed this club. Albion legend.

So Poyet is an Albion Legend for winning the League One . How many other managers have done for the Albion? he is not a legend and stands nowhere near true Legends such as Peter Ward and Bobby Smith. Words like awesome will be used shortly I'm sure but I can assure you as time passes his name will fade. if Oscar gets us up or even to the final of the play offs will he be more than a legend? Poyet is being found out in the prem and his style of play is costing Sunderland points.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
So Poyet is an Albion Legend for winning the League One . How many other managers have done for the Albion? he is not a legend and stands nowhere near true Legends such as Peter Ward and Bobby Smith. Words like awesome will be used shortly I'm sure but I can assure you as time passes his name will fade. if Oscar gets us up or even to the final of the play offs will he be more than a legend? Poyet is being found out in the prem and his style of play is costing Sunderland points.

Sunderland are out of the relegation zone since Gus took over.

They are in a cup final

They recently beat Man City and UTD.

Yes you are right and Gus is being found out and costing them points.

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
Okay I'm biased I dislike the guy intensely, there's no sour grapes, I'm glad he's gone! He did okay for BHA, but they did more than that for him. And if his touting himself around the prem like a tart wasn't disloyal enough his desperation to nick our quality players is all aimed at hurting the club in his own interest. This pretty much outlines his whole outlook whilst at The Amex me me me. Will he save the Black Cats.....the balls are in the air.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Poyet is being found out in the prem and his style of play is costing Sunderland points.

Erm. I think you'll struggle to find a Sunderland fan to agree with you there. Like him or loathe him he's completely turned them around. They were dead and buried when he took over and since then they've done the double over their deadly rivals, beaten Man Utd, Everton, Chelsea and Man City, got to a cup final and are out of the relegation zone.

But apart from all that, you're right, he's been found out.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports