Downsides to Poyet? - Sunderland fan here

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Here's something in the public domain. Gus refused to deal with the retained list. Now, failing to carry out your responsibilities, is that breach of contract?

yes,yes we all know that and yes it was rather a silly to do

but what I would like to know is why did he do this ,the man is far from stupid, who else was involved

we all blow up every now and then but if good at your job and he was you don't sack someone for that, if that is what he was sack suspended for its rather like a playground spat ...........................who was that spat with

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Either Rohan Ince has come on massively in the off season (which I grant is infinately possible) or Poyet missed one that could have been in and around the first team. March & JFC were ignored for long periods. Before the court case Dunk was starting to look good enough to challenge AEA but all Poyet wanted to do was bring in experienced players on £££££.

Rohan Ince only joined us in Feb 2013. Bit harsh to blame Poyet for 'ignoring' him

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I've seen the club claim that but not GP. Now given some of the club statements were questionable I won't hold much sway in that statement either. I'll repeat, until the FACTS ( as agreed by both sides ) are in the public domain I will blame both parties equally. That is fair and balanced. Your view is anything but either of these traits.

You chose to believe what you want to believe. Gus lied on TV too. No doubt you believe his "I was sacked on TV" BS too.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
In fairness to B.W. (and I have no idea what he does or doesn't know), I remember him nailing a transfer rumour years ago which I've tried but failed to find. It may have been Ivor Ingimarsson, I can't remember. Point being, he has had info which turned out to be true from the club in the past.

There is also enough info for anyone to draw their own conclusions about the general back story (Gus's phone call to Tony in March, Gus's refusal to deal with player contracts, the potential budget reduction for this season prior to cuts elsewhere, Barber and Poyet apparently not best mates at Spurs etc). There are plenty of dots that can be joined.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
I can't do that, and I've explained why in the past. Please feel free to trawl through my earlier posts. Meanwhile, I guess I will have to 'look like a complete bellend', at least to those poor souls still on the Gus Bus.

That's fair enough, or it would be if you didn't keep mentioning that you know what happened when making statements either in support of the club nor when making derogatory statements against GP.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Someone at the club, BEFORE it all blew up.

What I'm saying is, based on the information IN THE PUBLIC DOMAIN, there is enough there to side with the club over Gus.

BEFORE it all blew up ...............so there was planning to get rid of him BEFORE this all blew up

did you really mean to say that .......was it a slip

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Rohan Ince only joined us in Feb 2013. Bit harsh to blame Poyet for 'ignoring' him
#

Possibly but on a thread where so many people are looking to dig at Poyet no one mentioned his less than glorious record with youth development. Just thought it was a bit odd.

I'm not arguing that OG is much better but Poyet's answer was always the chequebook rather than to look to develop from within.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
While I kind of agree with that, we had players to play instead he used youngsters when we had a shortage instead of picking them over experienced pros. I think we had to survice/challenge for promotion rather than bring through youngsters.

Oscar has played more youngsters but then we've had worse injuries and i'd say he's been pretty reluctant on occasions to pick youngsters over injured or out of form first-teamers (witness how little March has played)

And JFC disappears from Oscar's line up when enough seniors are fit. I'd say it's only Ince who has really come through under Oscar, the others as used as needed, as they were under gus, except they've been needed more often under Oscar.

Over the last two season Gus used in the first team match squad:
JFC, Dickenson, March, Oatway, Barker, Agdestein, Dunk, Kasim, Hall, Cook, Sampayo,

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
yes,yes we all know that and yes it was rather a silly to do

but what I would like to know is why did he do this ,the man is far from stupid, who else was involved

we all blow up every now and then but if good at your job and he was you don't sack someone for that, if that is what he was sack suspended for its rather like a playground spat ...........................who was that spat with

It contributed to his sacking. That's the point I'm making. Gus' rants in the media also contributed, but are not grounds for dismissal in themselves.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Either Rohan Ince has come on massively in the off season (which I grant is infinately possible) or Poyet missed one that could have been in and around the first team. March & JFC were ignored for long periods. Before the court case Dunk was starting to look good enough to challenge AEA but all Poyet wanted to do was bring in experienced players on £££££.

You mean Upson?
Dunk has looked poor since about halfway through the first season at the Amex.
Ince came towards the end of last season, i'm not sure there was any reason to chuck him in (if Bridcutt hadn't been injured he might not have got a chance this season, and he was dropped a few times for seemingly no reason).
I can't remember us being without wingers last season to warrant March being called up, but ahead of this season he looked great in pre-season, we then had no fit wingers and he still didn't get a game

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
BEFORE it all blew up ...............so there was planning to get rid of him BEFORE this all blew up

did you really mean to say that .......was it a slip

BEFORE it all blew up in the media, and the club went into clampdown.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Meanwhile, I guess I will have to 'look like a complete bellend', at least to those poor souls still on the Gus Bus.

And YET again you do it.

This is where the image of you being in your own little world is emphasized ten times over.

If someone is saying they cannot make a decision because they don't know all the facts, that doesn't mean they are PRO GUS or on the GUS BUS or ANTI CLUB as you continuously blurt out over and over and over and over......

Can you not see that? This is the problem. You jump down the throat of anyone with an open mind. You resort to calling people "****ing clueless" which 1 - has no basis as you don't know what information they have and 2 - makes you, once again, look like your in your own little world where Gus's face is on dartboards around your house.

Just accept that if you offer literally no backing to your statments coupled with the attitude of a child not being listened to, people will probably not want to listen.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
One of the dots being that Gus was sacked live on TV (people deny this, but we all were watching him live on TV at the same time the club released the statement)

I don't believe those at the club were entirely innocent or fair during this whole saga either.

Actually, we were watching a football match when the statement was released. He was in the studio watching the match and was informed of the statement off air. Then discussed it when they came on air at half time.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Antonio Banderas as Gus Poyet.

Gus-Poyet.jpg

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
One of the dots being that Gus was sacked live on TV (people deny this, but we all were watching him live on TV at the same time the club released the statement)

I don't believe those at the club were entirely innocent or fair during this whole saga either.

Strange that Diego Poyet seemed to know but anyway I get your point.

On that front, I believe the club were guilty of stupidity. I can't believe they would have given Poyet the PR chance they did. They simply cocked up by not knowing he was on the tellybox - If they did it backfired spectacularly.

You are probably right that battle lines were drawn - Divorces are usually a messy business. My guess (and I'm just joining dots) is that Poyet refused to leave without a pay off. If he had, it would have been that 'mutual consent' line which gets trotted out.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
And YET again you do it.

This is where the image of you being in your own little world is emphasized ten times over.

If someone is saying they cannot make a decision because they don't know all the facts, that doesn't mean they are PRO GUS or on the GUS BUS or ANTI CLUB as you continuously blurt out over and over and over and over......

Can you not see that? This is the problem. You jump down the throat of anyone with an open mind. You resort to calling people "****ing clueless" which 1 - has no basis as you don't know what information they have and 2 - makes you, once again, look like your in your own little world where Gus's face is on dartboards around your house.

Just accept that if you offer literally no backing to your statments coupled with the attitude of a child not being listened to, people will probably not want to listen.

I have provided arguments for why you should side with the club over Gus WITHOUT being ITK. You chose not to accept those, and that is your prerogative (as I said before).

However, insulting comments like "attitude of a child not being listened to" are just wrong; do you not understand what me saying 'that is your prerogative' means? That's hardly me being childish, or getting upset at not being listened to, is it?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports