Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Downsides to Poyet? - Sunderland fan here

Hornblower

Jul 7, 2003
You may not have been imagining it at all. Again, the game is a REAL blur to me. And not for one moment will I pretend to know it all because I certainly don't, but I just have to step in when I read something which I know is incorrect.

But again, I still personally feel that even if Gus had sat there with his arms crossed and said "I want you to lose", a professional player would ignore that and try their HARDEST win a game which would get them to Wembley, potentially get them promoted, earn them more money etc etc. At the end of the day the players are selfish also (not a criticism by the way). They want to achieve the maximum they can.

It was just a bizarre match sadly. Perhaps we were too confident that job was done in the first leg?

My comments are probably borne out of the fact that, like many, I still have trouble with the emotional scar tissue.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I would say that not only does Mejona have a clue, he also has a much more accurate awareness of the real proceedings than you do.

But then, you don't agree with my support of club over Gus, so what you posted doesn't in any way surprise me.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
So, 'Sunderland fan' ....

What do you make of the comments ???

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Sorry, just seen this post. If this is true then I take back my previous comments. I still can't fathom how we seemed a different side altogether in the second half.

I am in a similar position to you - but we had seen it before hadn't we ? In the first Palace match at the Amex. We simply played out that match again.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
The whole thing was engineered to get him out of the door. He felt his job had become untenable due to personal differences with certain people. The club spun the whole thing to blame Poyet 100% and most people have brought it.

not me
thank god I sometimes think I am the only one on here who looks at things with the rose tinted glasses OFF

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Give him a couple of years when your honeymoon period wears off and you'll realise what an egotistical big mouth he is with an opinion on everything, even if it's nothing to do with him.

A couple of years is longer than the average football management job lasts for. I'm sure they'd be happy with that!

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Why should a manager born in URUGUAY who has never LIVED in Brighton be LOYAL to us forever?

No-one expects him to be loyal forever but a bit of loyalty whilst he was Brighton manager wouldn't have gone amiss. Repeatedly whoring himself out to other clubs and asking if he could leave the club 3 days before we were due to play Palace shows absolute disregard for the club and fans. We would have been in turmoil before that game and Palace would have rolled us over. Spouting off about glass ceilings and ambition immediately after losing to our rivals shows that he doesn't care what that means to us fans and it also shows that he refused to take responsibility for that debacle. Palace were there for the taking, we didn't need huge transfer budgets to beat them in one match and a lack of said budget wasn't the cause of the defeat. He was shifting responsibility back to the club and absolving himself of blame.

It's a JOB

It's a completely different type of job to yours though. Part and parcel of being a football manager is understanding what the club and fans think is important. The role is extremely high-profile, extremely public and with a rather unique group of stakeholders. Poyet himself acknowledged this when he said (after the St Patrick's Day massacre) that when you come to Brighton, beating Palace is EVERYTHING. It's now clear that those were weasel words said for the benefit of us fans and it actually meant nothing to him, but he and every other manager do know that football is about rivalries and passion and how important the club is to fans.

He may have done great things for the club but when it emerged that he had such little regard for the club in what he said and did all I can do is be left with the thought "thanks for everything - now f*ck off, you egotistical prick."

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
my god you really cannot leave can you
for someone who knows all about this you never actually say anything ......again I will ask you for the umteenth time what actually happened
for someone who is so far up tonies backside you will know

please enlighten us

you really do not realise, do you most on here do believe in a little fairness even if you don't

Try being fair to Tony, the board, the club. The ignorance of those who blindly fail to see Gus' personality faults - people like you, and the other usual suspects - deserve to receive the responses they receive. You really haven't got a ****ing clue. All of you.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
In reply to the OP. You can see from these postings what will happen at Sunderland. It will start great and you will really enjoy it, I mean you will really enjoy the football - it will be an education. Then something will rock the boat - most likely the brakes applied to spending, distraction of a bigger club, or personality clashed behind the scenes - and it will all end up in tears and recriminations.

But you will enjoy it before the tears.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
The whole thing was engineered to get him out of the door. He felt his job had become untenable due to personal differences with certain people. The club spun the whole thing to blame Poyet 100% and most people have brought it.

IF you really believe that, then you should maybe go support another club?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

I thought he wanted to quit in March, why did he need to be engineered out?

He could have just handed in his resignation. You really do make things so simplistic to fit in with your agenda sometimes.

Nobody has to stay in a job they don't like when they are not dependant on the job for money.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I thought he wanted to quit in March, why did he need to be engineered out?

By then his position had become untenable internally and you don't need to be Sherlock Holmes to know why.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

Do you beleive that the conversation* between Gus and Bloom took place before the March Palace match, or is that part of the deception?

*Where Gus said he'd like to leave

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
The question has been answered

Gus Positive, big ambition, can motivate players, brings energy to a club, plays attractive football (one way), winds up away fans.

Gus Negative, big ambition but wants instant success, wants lots of dosh for top top players, he doesn't want to develop younger players over time, wants to manage at the top and will tell you who that is, Is a control freak so wants to be an old school manager in total control so can clash with people in other management roles, plays football one way.

Was a great manager for us, but Oscar fits the Albion more with his desire to build a young team over time.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
not me
thank god I sometimes think I am the only one on here who looks at things with the rose tinted glasses OFF

Yes, you're right, it's not just you who haven't got a ****ing clue.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Try being fair to Tony, the board, the club. The ignorance of those who blindly fail to see Gus' personality faults - people like you, and the other usual suspects - deserve to receive the responses they receive. You really haven't got a ****ing clue. All of you.

COME ON THEN FOR THE UMTEENTH AND ONE TIME TELL US WHAT HAPPENED

you see people will always believe in some fairness
let us all know and maybe I and some others will fall down on the side of the club and support Tony and the club to the hilt ........but until I have some transparency from you and the club that is not going to happen

is it

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here