Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Downsides to Poyet? - Sunderland fan here

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
it wasn't him was it.?...it was the players on the pitch that got bossed by palace....you could only blame him for failing to motivate the team.....who knows what went on in the dressing room...?

I shouldn't say this as its one of those "I know something but I cant say any more" which is always annoying, but I can assure you from everything I know, he gave a completely normal pre-match team talk as ever. I can also assure you he was FUMING when they lost. He cared. He knew he was almost certainly going but he still wanted "promoted" on his CV.

The players were DIRE that day. The thing is, even if Poyet had said NOTHING, surely the goal for the players is to get to the premier league. If you can't motivate yourself for a playoff semi final second leg then thats a problem.

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
Why should a manager born in URUGUAY who has never LIVED in Brighton be LOYAL to us forever?

It's a JOB. I like my company....but if another BETTER company comes along I'm jumping ship. Does that make me "Disloyal?" no. Because there is no LOYALTY to be had in the first place.

All true. However, if you negotiated a new improved and extended contract and then publicly criticised other companies for not giving their staff long enough contracts so that they can then dismiss them on a whim and say if I want to go elsewhere then I will have to pay up my contract but then do the opposite you would look a right old hypocrite wouldn't you.....

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Gus was backed to the hilt by our FANTASTIC chairman. Gus then threw sh1t in the chairman's face, along with everyone else associated with the club, including the fans. He is a complete and utter tw@t. IF you think that's acceptable, then you haven't got a ****ing clue.

I would say that not only does Mejona have a clue, he also has a much more accurate awareness of the real proceedings than you do.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
I shouldn't say this as its one of those "I know something but I cant say any more" which is always annoying, but I can assure you from everything I know, he gave a completely normal pre-match team talk as ever. I can also assure you he was FUMING when they lost. He cared. He knew he was almost certainly going but he still wanted "promoted" on his CV.

The players were DIRE that day. The thing is, even if Poyet had said NOTHING, surely the goal for the players is to get to the premier league. If you can't motivate yourself for a playoff semi final second leg then thats a problem.

As I've said before, if he wanted to stop us getting promoted it was a masterstroke to send on Ashley Barnes and have him let his attempts hit the woodwork or be saved.

brianwade

Jan 31, 2008
He was a wonderful manager and you can see that already - he embues a spirit of determination . But if you re not with him you're against him . He's a bit Brian Clough in that respect - a one off . I have heard our new manager is a lovely chap and everyone at the club loves him - Poyet was the opposite - he could n't care what people think and is just focused on the job in hand . Maybe he'll improve that aspect of his personality as he matures . So yes he's a bit of an arrogant fellow but he's self confident and there's a fine line between the two sometimes . At the end of the day our loss is your gain . But we all move on in life . What's odd is how many two faced Brighton fans there are who moan about him when he simply had ambition for the club and himself - and we have n't been told what actually happened anyway . So good luck Sunderland - been cheering you on recently because I love Gus and I love an underdog . We re spending another season in the Championship by the look of it so it'll be a year or two before we play you unless of course swords cross in the FA CUP - now that would be interesting .......

Hornblower

Jul 7, 2003
it wasn't him was it.?...it was the players on the pitch that got bossed by palace....you could only blame him for failing to motivate the team.....who knows what went on in the dressing room...?

I can't explain it but when the players came out for the second half something was very wrong. They didn't seem to have the will to win. I'm not the only one in the WSU who felt that way. OK, so you can blame the players but for me there was something else influencing the second half performance and it wasn't just Zaha.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
I think Gus has to be in his mind, in complete control of his own destiny when at a club and I think he is one of those managers who does not like interference when choosing his players. (Something Tony Pulis has objected to strongly at Palace I believe.)

John Stephenson who was recognised as one of the top guys in the country for player recruitment, was brought to the club and we paid Watford compensation for his services and he lasted 6 months with Gus.
Stephenson left stating he could not settle at Brighton. I would think then Gus had almost a free run on who he brought in for possibly at least a year after this and in this time brought in around 11 first team players.

He was not at Sunderland 5 minutes when their head of recruitment was sacked and the chairman was quoted as saying

"The finger of blame was pointed directly at De Fanti and as revealed by the Daily Telegraph back in October, Short has been considering getting rid of him ever since he appointed Gus Poyet as manager"

Gus is there now as we know, having a real good spend up in this window.

I could be wrong but my impression of this power being taken away from Gus and given to Burke, may well have been the reason in Gus's eyes we had hit the ceiling.
And I honestly feel signings are a lot poorer under Burke and Garcia than they were under Burke and Poyet.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
He was a wonderful manager and you can see that already - he embues a spirit of determination . But if you re not with him you're against him . He's a bit Brian Clough in that respect - a one off . I have heard our new manager is a lovely chap and everyone at the club loves him - Poyet was the opposite - he could n't care what people think and is just focused on the job in hand . Maybe he'll improve that aspect of his personality as he matures . So yes he's a bit of an arrogant fellow but he's self confident and there's a fine line between the two sometimes . At the end of the day our loss is your gain . But we all move on in life . What's odd is how many two faced Brighton fans there are who moan about him when he simply had ambition for the club and himself - and we have n't been told what actually happened anyway . So good luck Sunderland - been cheering you on recently because I love Gus and I love an underdog . We re spending another season in the Championship by the look of it so it'll be a year or two before we play you unless of course swords cross in the FA CUP - now that would be interesting .......

As I understand it, be was very popular with a large portion of the playing side of the club, always courteous when he met fans and showed frustration if the off field aspects of the club didn't seem geared up to support the playing side. Oh and he was successful

Now if Carlsberg made managers thats kind of what I would want.

Trouble is that in any football club there will always be more egos than you need and not all of them are in the playing side. Mickey Adams and Martin Perry for example. Wilkins and Knight and Poyet and........

Hornblower

Jul 7, 2003

Sorry, just seen this post. If this is true then I take back my previous comments. I still can't fathom how we seemed a different side altogether in the second half.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Gus was backed to the hilt by our FANTASTIC chairman. Gus then threw sh1t in the chairman's face, along with everyone else associated with the club, including the fans. He is a complete and utter tw@t. IF you think that's acceptable, then you haven't got a ****ing clue.

Too right. Some don't see it though, and never will. Just be thankful the viper is no longer our problem.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Sorry, just seen this post. If this is true then I take back my previous comments. I still can't fathom how we seemed a different side altogether in the second half.

You may not have been imagining it at all. Again, the game is a REAL blur to me. And not for one moment will I pretend to know it all because I certainly don't, but I just have to step in when I read something which I know is incorrect.

But again, I still personally feel that even if Gus had sat there with his arms crossed and said "I want you to lose", a professional player would ignore that and try their HARDEST win a game which would get them to Wembley, potentially get them promoted, earn them more money etc etc. At the end of the day the players are selfish also (not a criticism by the way). They want to achieve the maximum they can.

It was just a bizarre match sadly. Perhaps we were too confident that job was done in the first leg?

Dec 29, 2011
Why should a manager born in URUGUAY who has never LIVED in Brighton be LOYAL to us forever?

It's a JOB. I like my company....but if another BETTER company comes along I'm jumping ship. Does that make me "Disloyal?" no. Because there is no LOYALTY to be had in the first place.

Football fans are so PRECIOUS. He stayed with us a LONG time and was sacked. Months later he took a job as he was unemployed.

Loyalty doesnt even come into it. Player kisses a badge and next week they are off. It's football. Only about 0.05% of people involved have true loyalty to a club and rightfully so. Does that bother me? No.

Hi I was WONDERING if YOU could stop POSTING like Enrest PLEASE it makes your posts really DIFFICULT to READ.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Hi I was WONDERING if YOU could stop POSTING like Enrest PLEASE it makes your posts really DIFFICULT to READ.

I CANT help IT. I NEVER used to USE CAPITALS quite as MUCH before I STARTED using NSC.

However B.W. really ANNOYS ME with some of the TOSH he writes and I can't CONTROL IT.

:lolol:

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
He didn't leave. He was rightfully sacked for gross misconduct. Oh, and being disloyal IS a criticism.

Well said. Shame the Giraffe's of this world can't see that, but hey, it's all about opinions.

my god you really cannot leave can you
for someone who knows all about this you never actually say anything ......again I will ask you for the umteenth time what actually happened
for someone who is so far up tonies backside you will know

please enlighten us

you really do not realise, do you most on here do believe in a little fairness even if you don't

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
So you think the club were wrong to dismiss him for gross misconduct? Fair enough.

The whole thing was engineered to get him out of the door. He felt his job had become untenable due to personal differences with certain people. The club spun the whole thing to blame Poyet 100% and most people have brought it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here