Downsides to Poyet? - Sunderland fan here

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
Gus was brilliant for us, it's pretty difficult to argue otherwise. However, he banged on and on about our budget for a significant period of his tenure, not just the last few months. And even during those last few months we bought Ulloa for £2m and tried to buy Van Dijk for circa £2.5m. His comments after the Palace defeat were at best ill-judged, at worst downright insulting, especially to a Chairman that has forked out OVER £100 MILLION of his own money ffs. How would you feel?! He wanted to leave, with immediate effect, in March. You either believe that or you don't. I for one don't think TB is lying. I am pretty surprised that there are those on here whose posts are generally well considered seem to think that is all perfectly reasonable.

Brilliant but disingenuous, in a nutshell. In my opinion.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Good manager. He will keep Sunderland up.
Big-mouthed egotistical self-centred tw@t who failed to appreciate his chairman, the board, the fans (at Brighton). He will leave Sunderland as soon as he gots a sniff of a better job.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Don't leave him alone in the Away dressing room prior to the biggest game in Sunderlands history.

Especially with their coach driver.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Basically, I'd just love to here some opinions from you lot on Poyet, and why a section of you are critical of him?
I always thought he was a good manager, and thought it was very regretful that he fell out with our board, and had to leave.

There are plenty on here (minority, but still plenty) that believe he'd found his level in the Championship, and was out-thought by Holloway etc. The fact is, there are a lot of fans that think they know a lot about football, when the reality is very different.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
He will leave Sunderland as soon as he gots a sniff of a better job.

:lolol: How is that a criticism?

Also, I always find this point an odd criticism....he didn't leave us and go into another job. He left us and then took a job once it was available.

In fact..wasn't he around the 5th or 6th longest serving manager at that point when he left us?

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
The man is genius and is destined to be a Champions League manager one day.

What some people on here didn't like was he had ambitions above Brighton and very honestyly said so. In short they didn't like his honesty. He always said from day one that he wanted to manage at the top level. He tried to do that with Brighton but in the end when he wanted a bigger budget to achieve that the season after the play offs he was told it was staying the same or going backwards. That's why he left fundamentally.

If he is given the right backing he will go far.

He is a very honest man, says things he believes whether people like that or not. I respect that and I respect his abilities. He will do well for you, then he will leave to a bigger club. But that's what we all want to do in our careers isn't it, progress as people, as human beings. That doesn't make him a bad man, it actually makes him a great man.

Mickey Adams made no secret of his ambition to manage at a higher level, I was a bit pissed off that he left to be assistant to Harry Basset, but I don't recall there being any animosity towards him wanting to better his career.
Maybe that was because we knew we were tin pot back then, but I think it was because he didn't run his mouth off about how much he would love to manage Leeds, or Chelsea, or constantly moan that he didn't have the budget to compete, or say "I have to think about myself" after a beating off Crippled Phallus, or threaten to go home if he heard a grumble from the crowd, or defend Suarez for racially abusing Evra, or state that the club had hit it's ceiling.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
i think what a lot of people on here found so unbelievable about Gus Poyet and The Albion was how quickly the relationship turned sour but then almost immediately to toxic , we failed at the second last hurdle quite badly and he was out the door and "persona non grata " , he then fuct off to spain for a month instead of staying put and sorting shit out.......implying his own wrong doing in many eyes , he is evidently a good manager and he will be the darling boy if/when he keeps you in the prem....if a bigger club comes sniffing you won't see him for dust........

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
:lolol: How is that a criticism?

Also, I always find this point an odd criticism....he didn't leave us and go into another job. He left us and then took a job once it was available.

In fact..wasn't he around the 5th or 6th longest serving manager at that point when he left us?

He didn't leave. He was rightfully sacked for gross misconduct. Oh, and being disloyal IS a criticism.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Mickey Adams made no secret of his ambition to manage at a higher level, I was a bit pissed off that he left to be assistant to Harry Basset, but I don't recall there being any animosity towards him wanting to better his career.
Maybe that was because we knew we were tin pot back then, but I think it was because he didn't run his mouth off about how much he would love to manage Leeds, or Chelsea, or constantly moan that he didn't have the budget to compete, or say "I have to think about myself" after a beating off Crippled Phallus, or threaten to go home if he heard a grumble from the crowd, or defend Suarez for racially abusing Evra, or state that the club had hit it's ceiling.

Well said. Shame the Giraffe's of this world can't see that, but hey, it's all about opinions.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Yes, so Gus could be annoying. But we didn't have to live with him, he was just our manager. He was doing a good job on the pitch, and that's what I really care about.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
He didn't leave. He was rightfully sacked for gross misconduct. Oh, and being disloyal IS a criticism.

Why should a manager born in URUGUAY who has never LIVED in Brighton be LOYAL to us forever?

It's a JOB. I like my company....but if another BETTER company comes along I'm jumping ship. Does that make me "Disloyal?" no. Because there is no LOYALTY to be had in the first place.

Football fans are so PRECIOUS. He stayed with us a LONG time and was sacked. Months later he took a job as he was unemployed.

Loyalty doesnt even come into it. Player kisses a badge and next week they are off. It's football. Only about 0.05% of people involved have true loyalty to a club and rightfully so. Does that bother me? No.

Last edited:

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I always thought he was a good manager, and thought it was very regretful that he fell out with our board, and had to leave.

There are plenty on here (minority, but still plenty) that believe he'd found his level in the Championship, and was out-thought by Holloway etc. The fact is, there are a lot of fans that think they know a lot about football, when the reality is very different.

Without wanting to stir up a hornets-nest, I thought he was out-thought by Holloway over both legs.
In the first leg, we were on top and Zaha was getting nothing out of Bridge. 'Olly shifted Zaha from the right to the left, put him up against Calderon, and from thereon we were no longer on top.
In the second leg, 'Olly made some positive substitutions early in the second half. This involved shifting Zaha back to the right, leaving Bolasie to have a go at Calde, who put in a cross, which fell on the head of you know who, and went into you know where.

Hornblower

Jul 7, 2003
A bit like a partner who you have three or four wonderful years with and then they leave you high and dry at the altar.

I will never forgive him for the second half of THAT game.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I will never forgive him for the second half of THAT game.

Didn't he bring on Barnes who almost scored the winner?

I'm being completely honest here. I don't remember much of the game as it's a blur. What did HE do that was so terrible?

Again, genuine question.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
With all these unwelcome memories of Poyet re-surfacing, Saturday can't come soon enough.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Didn't he bring on Barnes who almost scored the winner?

I'm being completely honest here. I don't remember much of the game as it's a blur. What did HE do that was so terrible?

Again, genuine question.

it wasn't him was it.?...it was the players on the pitch that got bossed by palace....you could only blame him for failing to motivate the team.....who knows what went on in the dressing room...?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Why should a manager born in URUGUAY who has never LIVED in Brighton be LOYAL to us forever?

It's a JOB. I like my company....but if another BETTER company comes along I'm jumping ship. Does that make me "Disloyal?" no. Because there is no LOYALTY to be had in the first place.

Football fans are so PRECIOUS. He stayed with us a LONG time and was sacked. Months later he took a job as he was unemployed.

Loyalty doesnt even come into it. Player kisses a badge and next week they are off. It's football. Only about 0.05% of people involved have true loyalty to a club and rightfully so. Does that bother me? No.

Gus was backed to the hilt by our FANTASTIC chairman. Gus then threw sh1t in the chairman's face, along with everyone else associated with the club, including the fans. He is a complete and utter tw@t. IF you think that's acceptable, then you haven't got a ****ing clue.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports